: Whats wrong with my sts-v

inurok
11-01-09, 03:20 PM
I noticed while driving at speeds over 65 mph I here a wierd sound or hum coming from the rear of the car? Now at lower speeds i hear a whirring like hum coming from the rear of the car? What are symptoms of a failing rear end? The car shifts smoothly and i feel no harshness even when getting down on the gas pedal? Thanks in advance.

Any help would be great?

Chris

cad08stsv
11-01-09, 10:18 PM
Perhaps you might want to look at the level of the gear oil, as well as maybe changing it, couldn't hurt. As I recall there was a TSB issued concerning the seal or something You may want to look at that also. I think amsoil makes
AMSOIL Synthetic Gear Lubricants you could choose from there offerings. It will give you a chance to have a look at the gears as well. Good Luck I hope it isn't something serious.

cad08stsv
11-01-09, 10:33 PM
By the way, the President liking hybird cars, I'm sure he is not in favor of STSV or CTSV and well as 2nd amendments rights. I am not in favor of abolishing fast cars or carry primits. I like fast cars, fast woman, and Fire Arms.

Florian
11-01-09, 10:45 PM
tires?

F

CIWS
11-02-09, 12:32 PM
By the way, the President liking hybird cars, I'm sure he is not in favor of STSV or CTSV and well as 2nd amendments rights. I am not in favor of abolishing fast cars or carry primits. I like fast cars, fast woman, and Fire Arms.

That must be why he drove a Chrysler 300C. According to GM it was the Feds who came through the plants on a tour and loved the CTS-V coupe and recommended that GM go forward with its development.

inurok - I'm with F-man, first question would be what's the type and condition of the tires ? Then after that what mods have you done to the car other than appearance changes.

Z71
11-04-09, 02:29 PM
Usually a rear axle problems will go away or quiet down when coasting and be more pronounced with pressure on the gas peddle.

Did you recently have the tires rotated? Have you been spinning the rear tires? Did you have to make a panic stop and leave some rubber on the pavement? I seen where someone did that and the tires got flat spotted and would hum at certain speeds.

inurok
11-05-09, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to have the tires checked. 1 rear tire always has a lower psi than the others but stops at 25 psi.

CIWS
11-05-09, 08:27 AM
Also if memory serves me correctly, if you suspect your rear is the culprit wait till your in a safe position then shift the car to neutral while the noise is going on. If you still hear it, it's not the diff.

Z71
11-05-09, 08:42 AM
I had a tire on my 05 CTS that would loose air very slowly. The goodyear tire shop had to use a magnetic wand to find the small nail/brad embedded in the tread, it was impossible to see.