: 96 El Dorado Engine Replacement

stereotypethat
10-31-09, 01:08 PM
I found a guy parting out his '96 Cadillac El Dorado and asked him why he was doing it.. I received the following explanation and was hoping this could be verified or not by anyone here.

He said that he wanted to replace the engine with the higher performance engine from the '96 El Dorado Touring. (After briefly looking a bit online, it seems to me that they both have the V8 4.6L 281cid GAS FI N Engine. So my first question is, is there a difference between the '96 El Dorado Enginer and the '96 El Dorado Touring Engine?)

Also, he stated that he was unable to remove the engine harnesses from the engines and as a result, cut the harness from the old engine and the new engine and spliced the two together. After this, he says the car did not run. He stated that he called Cadillac customer support who explained to him that you cannot splice wiring on Cadillac vehicles because of the computers (he didn't mention if this point was specific to the engine harness or in general). [Obviously, if the replacement engine was from a newer Cadillac the computer and the wiring may have changed, but if its a '96 Cadillac El Dorado engine, the car computer wouldn't be able to tell if the wires have been spliced, right?]

I'm new into all this, but something seems fishy. At the very least, I don't think I'm getting the whole story.

Submariner409
11-08-09, 10:55 PM
This post belongs in Northstar Performance or Seville/Eldorado.

SSG
12-05-09, 03:43 PM
The difference is in the computer chip. The guy was wasting his time & money.