: Athens, Ohio...any info on the town..Moving There in Jan

aamusls06
10-30-09, 12:44 AM
I'm graduating from college in about a month and I will be moving to Athens, Ohio to work for the Wayne National Forest. I'm from the country down south, so this will be sort of a big transition for me moving up north.

I was wondering does anyone know anything about the town as far as winters, cost of living, or just anything in general as far as opinions of the area. I've googled the town to death and thought I may can get some actual feedback.

Aron9000
10-30-09, 02:05 AM
Athens OH is home to the University of Ohio. Its a huge college town, I think the campus takes up like 1/3rd of the town's land. That school has been ranked in the top 10 party schools for many years.

The countryside is beautiful in that part of Ohio, I have an aunt who lives near Logan. Nice and hilly, reminds me of middle Tennessee. Very remote part of the country as well, the closest big city is Columbus, which is probably 1.5-2 hours away.

Anyways, Ohio is redneck as all get out. Rural Ohio is 1000% more redneck than Nashville, where I live. I don't think you'll have any problem transitioning if you're a good old country boy.

orconn
10-30-09, 11:51 AM
I second that Athens is in a beautiful part of Ohio. Southeastern Ohio is definitely more Southern culturally, actually to be more accurate Appalachian. The climate, to me a native Californian, is one of the best in the country. Like Virginia this part of Ohio has long Falls and Springs with short moderate Winters. Summers are also moderate and short in duration. Unlike the Coastal Mid-Atlantic the people are generally friendly, down to earth and pleasant neighbors. I lived in Cambridge, Ohio for a couple of years back in the sixties when the area was know as a "Depressed Area"; it was economically depressed having had it's main industries killed off from foreign competition following the WWII. I have been back in recent years and found that the area is still rural with light manufacturing but much improved economically.

The towns along the Ohio River are especially picturesque and the area is very rich in the history of early America. Ofcourse northern Ohio was a power house of industrial activity in the later 19th and first half of the 20th century. I think you will enjoy the area and the fact that Athens is a lively college town can't hurt!

Florian
10-31-09, 12:58 AM
If you ride a motorcycle, there are a TON of great roads to ride....try the OH555....unbelieveable!
Also, best weed on the planet is grown down there.....

F

aamusls06
11-09-09, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the input. I do a little bike riding when I can get it in. I'm pretty sure in the future I'll be in the market for a GSX-r, but that's later on down the road. I'll be looking to get into something like an 04-05 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS, or just any LSX motor car before I buy a bike. The LSX motor car will be my graduation present to myself when I'm stable enough to buy it. I like hearing that there is pretty country up there, and I'm sure working in the woods doing plot work for the Forest Service I'll get to see some pretty views. The idea that the school is a party school of that magnitude is a good thing at least for now, at least there will be somewhere to go on the weekends. I also probably will just do some leisure riding in the Northeast just to knock a few more states off my list to visit. Not too familiar with that area as I am with the Southeastern and Midwest Region.

I'm excited about this transition.