: 2001 Deville evaporator drain

bigtone
10-29-09, 02:30 PM
I learned so much from this site that I figuire it's about time I give something back. Last weekend I was driving one of my 01 Devilles in a very hard rain. After awhile I noticed the passenger side carpet was very wet, running down from under the dash. My first thought was the evaporator drain, and searching through the forum confirmed that. But, I really couldnt find a good description of where it was, in the forum or the manual, other than on the passenger side down low. First I found the cowl drain, in the passenger wheelwell. It's like a flapper. It was free. Without access to a lift, I jacked up the car and got under and just started poking around looking for the evap drain. I really could not see it from the bottom. Finally I removed the passenger side wheel, and I reached in the opening above the frame, and my hand landed right on it. Just like others had mentioned, it was stuck closed. Once I opened it, alot of water came running out. No other problems since.

12pack
11-27-09, 07:39 PM
Great post. I also learned a great deal by perusing this site for any useful info on my 01 seville sls. Question though. My driver's side carpet is always soaked. could it be the evaporator also, or is it from faulty seals? I jacked the car up and there were no holes in the floorboards.

Submariner409
11-28-09, 09:58 AM
A sure sign of either a plugged evaporator drain or leaking heater core is fog or haze on the inside of the windshield when using the heater on a cool/cold day. The heater airflow picks up the excess moisture from the ducting and it condenses on the windshield and does not go away (easily) with defrost functions set.

hkeithmurray
07-16-13, 06:48 PM
I learned so much from this site that I figuire it's about time I give something back. Last weekend I was driving one of my 01 Devilles in a very hard rain. After awhile I noticed the passenger side carpet was very wet, running down from under the dash. My first thought was the evaporator drain, and searching through the forum confirmed that. But, I really couldnt find a good description of where it was, in the forum or the manual, other than on the passenger side down low. First I found the cowl drain, in the passenger wheelwell. It's like a flapper. It was free. Without access to a lift, I jacked up the car and got under and just started poking around looking for the evap drain. I really could not see it from the bottom. Finally I removed the passenger side wheel, and I reached in the opening above the frame, and my hand landed right on it. Just like others had mentioned, it was stuck closed. Once I opened it, alot of water came running out. No other problems since.

Do you have a pic?