: Serious WANT with the new iMac

Jesda
10-29-09, 05:40 AM
I played with one of those new aluminum grey iMacs at school today and I'm amazed. The whole thing, from the keyboard to the shiny display looks delicious. The dock icons look like pieces of candy.

And I think its still overpriced, or at least more of a luxury than I'm willing to part with my money for. Does anyone know who builds the display for Apple? Would be nice to find something almost as clean and sharp to plug into my Acer (which is running Mac OS X).

ryannel2003
10-29-09, 09:14 AM
Refurbished.

My last three Mac's (including my new Aluminum MacBook) have been from Apple's refurbished store. They all come with a one year warranty and look like brand new products. Instead of paying $1299 for a new MacBook, I paid $899. I saw a few iMac's up there couple of weeks ago going for $849.

http://www.apple.com/store then scroll to the bottom and on the left you'll see the refurbished section.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-29-09, 03:47 PM
Apple schmapple

Jesda
10-29-09, 04:39 PM
Apple schmapple

http://deallocker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/snapple.jpg

gary88
10-29-09, 04:49 PM
The new iMac uses LEDs in the screen, so I doubt you'd be able to find a comparable external display unless you buy... an Apple LED display!

Kick94sts
10-29-09, 05:02 PM
I'll get a 26" iMac when I can afford a new CTS-V.

Gary Wells
10-29-09, 07:18 PM
I'll get a 26" iMac when I can afford a new CTS-V.
Funny that you should mention that. I bought my imac 20" about 1 year before I bought my '09 CTS-V. I Definitely love the '09 CTS-V considerable more than the imac 20".

concorso
10-29-09, 07:50 PM
I dont mind paying extra for luxury, if its tangible. I just cant find any tangible benefit from buying a pretty Mac versus an 'uglier' more affordable laptop.

Stingroo
10-29-09, 09:50 PM
Mac ftl.

ryannel2003
10-29-09, 10:24 PM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/MacBook/IMG_0365.jpg

Yeah... ftl.

Stingroo
10-29-09, 10:45 PM
I so agree.

ryannel2003
10-29-09, 10:50 PM
Haha. I will say I don't like Mac users who are complete douchebags and say Mac is the only worthwhile computers ever built (aka fanboys). I haven't had a chance to use Windows 7 yet, but I've heard it's a huge improvement over Vista. I don't mind using XP at all, it's solid and very stable.

If I was using a Windows computer, I'd probably own an HP. They have some nice looking laptops.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-09, 11:29 PM
After having Windows my entire life, I switched over last year to a Macbook similar to Ryan's pictured above. I've been extremely satisfied with it. I wasn't 100% on Apple when I was first shopping for a laptop, but after hearing nightmare stories about Vista, I'm glad I didn't go that route, even if it was much, much cheaper.

On a related note, my parents just got some sort of ASUS Desktop this afternoon with Windows 7 on it. I'll have to take a look at it this weekend and see what I think.

bierman.d
10-30-09, 12:00 AM
I'm indifferent towards the whole operating system war. I'll likely stick with Windows though because they have more options and cheaper systems.

I'm on my second HP laptop. I absolutely loved my first one (dv9000), but my current one (dv4) has a few noticeable build defects: mis-matched edges, keyboard buzzes when cd drive or speakers are vibrating and also clicks with a little pressure on the lower right.. and my quick-play and volume scroll buttons are a far brighter white than the other buttons. And the cooling system seems underqualified.
Also, I've never seen a 14" laptop with even half-way decent viewing angles.. Why??

I want a new laptop, and I don't necessarily want an HP because they are all too flashy for my tastes.. but they're the only manufacturer who has done the capacitive touch buttons correctly. Others have delay or don't follow your finger well.
Bad experiences with Toshiba. I liked my Gateway, but no newer ones have separate volume/track buttons. Nothing at Acer, Asus or Sony interests me.
I'll probably wait and see what the next generation HP notebooks look like.
Either way, I'm sticking with laptops (17" probably). I don't see a need for a desktop and I only want one computer to manage anyways.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-09, 12:01 AM
Oh I should mention that when I was looking at PC laptops, the Sony's really grabbed my attention. I liked the design, the cache of the SONY name and they seemed to be built of a high quality.

Stingroo
10-30-09, 12:02 AM
Try out a Dell Studio 17. I've got a 15 inch and I couldn't be happier. Three of my friends also have them and they're all solid machines. If you buy, pay the extra for the in-home service. The depot repair sucks.

eXile
10-30-09, 12:06 AM
I'll stick with my custom built PC, Tri-Bootable ftw!

Would your like Mandrake, Mac OSX, Or XP? (I have Windows 7 but am going to wait till more programs have windows 7 support.)

Bring on the OS battle. I can do em all. :D

ryannel2003
10-30-09, 12:19 AM
Oh I should mention that when I was looking at PC laptops, the Sony's really grabbed my attention. I liked the design, the cache of the SONY name and they seemed to be built of a high quality.

I became impressed with Sony's when my best friends girlfriend's new Vaio rolled off the top of his car onto concrete and still worked perfectly fine. Talk about well built!

bierman.d
10-30-09, 12:22 AM
I dropped my laptop on tile from about 3-1/2 feet. Hard drive protection kicked in and I'm happy :) Never thought I'd need that feature.

Jesda
10-30-09, 12:32 AM
HPs are getting worse. The DVxxxx series from a couple years back was great, but the TX1xxx tablets overheat like crazy to a point where the plastic becomes warped. You have to put the tablet in the fridge to install an OS or do anything CPU intensive, otherwise it will shut down. HP of course denies fault.

My HP F572 from 2007 died one day, a problem with the motherboard that started with the wireless adapter going bad. Was without it for two weeks while they did the repair. Seemed fine after I got it back so I sold it. Its too bad there were defects, because it actually felt well made and durable.

This Acer Aspire, running OS X Leopard, has a power connector that's in the process of failing. Fortunately, the connector is a separate piece from the main board so I was able to order it from eBay for $35. I really lucked out, as a soldering job for those tiny pins would have cost me $200.

Regardless of what type of computer you buy, its wise to spend a little extra for something properly designed and built, unless you dont mind throwing out your PC each year. My G4 Mac Mini was the best computer I've owned in a long, long time, and I sold it for a profit years after I bought it (black friday sale, I NEVER buy Apple stuff at full price). I should get another.

bierman.d
10-30-09, 12:45 AM
That's what happened with my DV9000... the power jack wouldn't stay in after two and a half years so I figured it was time to upgrade anyways--sold it to a guy on a forum for $350.
I am extremely disappointed that HP and other manufacturers don't use L-jacks.. my cord sticks out a good 1-1/2 inches from my computer because it's straight.. I have to be very careful not to put stress on it.

Stingroo
10-30-09, 08:28 AM
^ My dad has a DV9000 and it's got the same problem. Well, one AC adapter actually died. Then we bought a replacement, and it's starting to fall out/not get power.

Jesda
10-31-09, 03:22 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/duelistskater/macvspc.gif

Kick94sts
10-31-09, 03:42 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e238/duelistskater/macvspc.gif

:lol:

AMGoff
10-31-09, 06:25 PM
The brand new iMacs are even prettier... I literally drooled a little when I saw the new 27-incher.

Either way, it's fairly well known that my house is an MFZ - Microsoft Free Zone. I've spent the better part of my life fixing various flavors of 'Doze... The thought of doing so at home is not an enjoyable one in the least. Now I merely have to finish exorcising the remaining 30 or so Windows PCs at work and my own personal-world domination will be complete... lol. ;)

With that said... I agree completely with Jesda - whether you're an Apple user or not, it's more than worth it to spend a little extra for quality hardware. I'll never understand why certain folks will spend $300-400 on some bargain-basement PC every couple years. Over the last 20 years, the usable life-span of my main Mac has been about 6 years on average with some machines going even longer... My "Pismo" G3 PowerBook is still going strong almost a decade after I bought it. Even though it doesn't run Leopard easily, nor Snow Leopard at all - with a giger of ram and a fast hard drive, the old gal continues to chug along with Tiger just fine and still makes for a great web machine.

As an aside... If anyone's interested in one of the older "lampshade" G4-iMacs, let me know. This past summer I decided to start phasing out as many G4s on campus as possible and we're almost finished. The only ones I've decided to keep are any late-model dual-processor "Mirrored Door" PowerMacs because of their still respectable power and upgrade potential... As well as a few G4-based Minis due to their sheer convenience - so that pretty much leaves the eMacs and iMacs out to pasture.

I'm likely just going to have the eMacs scavenged for parts, but the iMacs on the other hand will probably be sold off sometime towards the new year. I have pretty strict standards in place with respect to the care and maintenance of our equipment, so most have held up pretty well and have been upgraded several times over the years... As such, the majority of them are running Leopard and will have at least a ComboDrive, .768-1GB of ram, and 5400rpm drives - with several having SuperDrives and 7200rpm harddisks.

I've been waiting until after Thanksgiving to really start going through them and having them priced out, but I figured I'd give everyone here a heads up... Plus as always, any donations given in return for the machines can be tax-deductible. Feel free to send me a PM if anyone is interested!

bierman.d
10-31-09, 08:12 PM
With that said... I agree completely with Jesda - whether you're an Apple user or not, it's more than worth it to spend a little extra for quality hardware. I'll never understand why certain folks will spend $300-400 on some bargain-basement PC every couple years. Over the last 20 years, the usable life-span of my main Mac has been about 6 years on average with some machines going even longer... My "Pismo" G3 PowerBook is still going strong almost a decade after I bought it. Even though it doesn't run Leopard easily, nor Snow Leopard at all - with a giger of ram and a fast hard drive, the old gal continues to chug along with Tiger just fine and still makes for a great web machine.

I actually go by an opposite method.
I figure, why buy a $1,800+ laptop if it'll be obsolete in a few years? I like to replace every two or three years.. that gives me the latest "mainstream" technology when I do switch, never being hampered by an older system.
My current laptop is feature-packed at $800 (Turion X2, BT, wireless N, lightscribe DVD, webcam+stereo microphone, rf remote, 4gbram, 320gbhd w/ protection etc). Integrated ATI graphics, but I don't game much. So $1,600 in 4-6 years but I get the added luxury of that new electronic feeling and smell.

Which method is more logical is all up for debate and most likely completely subjective.. but I love getting new stuff so I think it works out well for me :)

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-01-09, 05:03 PM
The thing with Macs and financial figures though is the longer lifespan (My 3 year old MacBook Pro still runs super fast powering through any graphics and video work I do) coupled with high resale values (the latter is definately not on the list of Windows PC benefits as used PC's are virtually worthless, especially the high dollar ones).

My 15" MB Pro cost me 1,400 3 years ago and is worth about 700 today according to the ebay auctions I've watched. So if I sold it today I'd have lost 700 over 3 years. A 1,400 PC laptop bought 3 years ago would be worth *maybe* 300.
And when my MB Pro was 2 years old I installed Windows Vista and compared my Windows score to that of a friends brand new 700 HP laptop and my 2 year old machine scored higher (4.3 to his 3.8).

I will likely keep my MB Pro another year or two by which time it will be worth probably 450-500. That's 900 depreciation over 5 years, the same as buying a 600 POS PC laptop every 3 years.

Macs don't really cost more than PC's once you're on the ladder, especially if you buy the pro laptops as they're normally pretty state of the art when they're first launched.

I love my MB Pro, it has been dropped twice and survived, I've taken it all over Europe and the USA, it is switched on and doing stuff 24/7 and causes me no problems. I'm only getting 3 hours use out of the battery on a good day now (it was 4.5 hours when new) but that's to be expected...

I have zero problems with it, no crashing, no viruses, no hacker worries, no problem getting peripherals to work (just plug and go), I get my work done quicker and the machine flies along 3 years later and it's only been reinstalled once (I chose to reinstall to put Snow Leopard on but it wasn't necessary really).

I'm prepared to pay the initial upfront cost for the awesome build, thoughtful design and long term headache free operation. Plus the high residual value...

codewize
11-01-09, 05:09 PM
Almost all the major display manufacturer make LED displays Acer hasn't released any yet but as the worlds largest shipper of displays, I'm sure they will soon..

The new iMac uses LEDs in the screen, so I doubt you'd be able to find a comparable external display unless you buy... an Apple LED display!