: Didn't buy a Cadillac... bought bigger!

My_favorite_Brougham
10-29-09, 02:27 AM
I usually hang around the RWD threads, but this time it isn't a Cadillac.

I've been wanting one of these for a while and the perfect one just sorta plopped down in my lap at the right time, so I snatched it up.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x141/Shutterbug668/8535_157806178347_696343347_2666154.jpg

It's a '00 Chevy Silverado K3500 Crew Cab Extended Bed with the 7.4L engine and 4x4 on the floor. It has all the options, power everything, consoles galore - even an air sack in the seat that inflates/deflates for lower back comfort. Not a Cadillac, but a darn nice example of fine GM design.

But I've got a problem with the power locks, and they don't seem to function properly. You push the power lock button on either door and the levers on the doors try to move, and they move just a little bit, but not enough to lock the doors. But all four doors do actuate. The same occurs for unlocking. You press the button, and the levers move, but not enough to unlock the doors. They all just sorta wiggle. Right now I have to manually push each lever up and down to unlock and lock the doors.

The window sticker says the truck came with remote entry, but the remotes have been gone for a while. I'll probably get a pair off eBay and program them sometime, but it's useless if the levers won't actually unlock and lock the doors.

Any idea of what it could be? If it were just one or even two doors, I might suspect it just being gummed up. But all four doors? :annoyed:

-Greg

bierman.d
10-29-09, 02:34 AM
Hey congratulations on the purchase! I personally love 4-door pickups and don't like driving one unless it is.. just one of my stubborn preferences ;)

My best guess with the locking problem is that the solenoids are not getting enough power.. maybe time for new wiring? Battery check?

My_favorite_Brougham
10-29-09, 02:36 AM
Yeah the battery is great. Same problem even when its running and getting alternator power.

bierman.d
10-29-09, 02:39 AM
Hmm.
Yeah we've exhausted my electrical troubleshooting by now :helpless:
I'm sure others here have ideas.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-29-09, 02:56 AM
Like bierman said, they ain't getting enough power. You could have a corroded wire somewhere or a bad ground. Trace out a wiring diagram (I can get you one if you don't have access to one) and check the common problem areas, such as splices. Also check for excessive resistance in the switches since the power for all 4 locks, even when equipped with keyless entry, usually runs through the driver and passenger side switches first. If you hit the switch multiple times really fast will they unlock? That what we have to do in my friend's Camaro, just press the switch really fast.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-09, 08:32 AM
Bigger than a Cadillac?? You bought a decomissioned super tanker?? LOL!! Kidding of course! Love the new rig! Isn't it fun having the biggest V8 available in 2000?

As far as the locks go, it must be a common Chevy problem from that era, as my Astro's driver door lock does the same thing, and it's also a 2000.

Kick94sts
10-29-09, 11:35 AM
Gotta love the ranch hands!

V-Eight
10-29-09, 12:04 PM
Very nice, I don't think I've ever seen a 4 door in that body style. Gotta love the 454

My_favorite_Brougham
10-29-09, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah that ranch hand is great! A friend of mine just totaled his '03 Silverado because he ran off the road into a fence; a post pierced the condenser, radiator, and pretty much destroyed the engine. Wouldn't have happened with a ranch hand.

But no, they don't unlock if you push the button fast, or multiple times. Just the same old wiggle over and over. I'll have to check for bad wires some time, but I don't know where to start.

Aron9000
10-29-09, 11:37 PM
That bumper looks like it would be very useful in a high speed police chase. Just ram the cops and give them the old PIT manuever.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-09, 12:00 AM
Hows the power that big block puts down? I asked my buddy Quinn about his (which is identical to yours...same color, body style, power train and year) and he said it's not so fast out of the hole, but once up and moving it gets up and goes pretty well. Ya just gotta get that momentum up and moving. What do you think?

You had a '71 Eldorado before hand? Another car from the "huge engine meets equally huge car" club. How do they compare? Do they drive at all similar because they're so big or is it really night and day?

Jesda
10-30-09, 12:35 AM
You should attach a hook to the moon and drag it around for fun.

V-Eight
10-30-09, 01:00 AM
Hows the power that big block puts down? I asked my buddy Quinn about his (which is identical to yours...same color, body style, power train and year) and he said it's not so fast out of the hole, but once up and moving it gets up and goes pretty well. Ya just gotta get that momentum up and moving. What do you think?

So its like the opposite of the 350? Because the 350 is quick off the line, but not as great 120+

My_favorite_Brougham
10-30-09, 01:22 AM
Ya know it's weird. I would have thought the 454 to be more powerful. When I borrowed my grandmother's 1993 C3500 Crew Cab Extended bed with the 350, seemed just about the same as this. But this thing does have a lot more passing ability on the highway.

In that respect it's like the 500 was in the '71 Eldorado - get up on the highway, but not huge off the line. The 454 is better than the carb'd 500. The Eldorado was awesome on the highway, since that speedometer would just keep going up and up! :D But the Eldo was bouncy. This truck is a stiff bouncy. But it sure it comfortable on the highway. Highway acceleration feels about the same as the 500 fwd, but that car was actually lighter (I think), and it sat lower to the ground. Sitting high is nice, but it's not like reclining in a sedan. Just different I suppose. I don't mind it.

I think height plays with your sense of speed. It's not as noticeable up high, whereas in the Eldo you're closer to the asphalt.

V-Eight
10-30-09, 10:13 AM
I think height plays with your sense of speed. It's not as noticeable up high, whereas in the Eldo you're closer to the asphalt.

It does, being up higher makes it seem slower.

90Brougham350
10-31-09, 10:12 PM
http://image.modified.com/f/miscellaneous/sport-compact-guy-at-heart/8278201+w225+cr1+re0+ar1/compact-parking-only.jpg

Love the truck! I always liked the 3/4 and 1-ton GM pickups because of the wider wheel-well molding.

Brian

LS1Mike
10-31-09, 11:39 PM
Love the Truck! I have an 89 1 ton. If you door looks don't work it could be a bad switch. The locks work wierd. I only have two in my truck but when the passenger side switch was bad neither side worked. Also mine was both of mine were gummed up. I cleaned up all the linkages and they work great now.

jayoldschool
10-31-09, 11:56 PM
Damn, those are big moose bars.

orconn
11-01-09, 12:17 AM
Back before the Escalades and other Cadillac logo trucks the Chev Suburban was know as the "Texas Cadillac." At least that's what my friends and clients in the "erl business" told me. So I quess you new acquisituion can qualify under the old rules!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-09, 10:34 AM
Ya know it's weird. I would have thought the 454 to be more powerful. When I borrowed my grandmother's 1993 C3500 Crew Cab Extended bed with the 350, seemed just about the same as this. But this thing does have a lot more passing ability on the highway.

In that respect it's like the 500 was in the '71 Eldorado - get up on the highway, but not huge off the line. The 454 is better than the carb'd 500. The Eldorado was awesome on the highway, since that speedometer would just keep going up and up! :D But the Eldo was bouncy. This truck is a stiff bouncy. But it sure it comfortable on the highway. Highway acceleration feels about the same as the 500 fwd, but that car was actually lighter (I think), and it sat lower to the ground. Sitting high is nice, but it's not like reclining in a sedan. Just different I suppose. I don't mind it.

And I bet that between the 350 and 454 in a truck of this size, they'd get pretty similar mileage. The 350 would almost be overworked in something of this weight, the 454 probably just chugs along without a burp or fart. With that being said, there is no way I'd buy something like this without the 454 or at least the diesel. It's just a size thing for me....big truck = big block or diesel. It's only fitting :D

I bet with that 454, it'll lay a mean patch of rubber. That TBI 454 K2500 I drove sure would..

It does, being up higher makes it seem slower.

Indeed. Doing 80 in the Astro doesn't seem nearly as fast as it does in the Regal. Although I do like riding low in cars more, it's nice to have the vantage point from riding high in a truck or big van.

LS1Mike
11-01-09, 10:40 AM
I really thing it depeneds on the car. 80 in the Trans Am feels like you are crawling and that thing is on almost sitting on the gound.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-09, 10:43 AM
Oh, on a related note, I saw a pretty funny licence plate on an early '00s K2500 Silverado on Friday night:
496CI

iowasevillests
11-01-09, 11:07 AM
Nice new ride! Reminds me of a couple of the trucks we've got back home. Be prepared to to replace the front end....ball joints, tie rods, pitman arms etc. If the truck was used like it was designed to be they'll be due for a replacement if they haven't already. Last time we did it we bought all Moog and when one of the components failed about 2 years later we got full replacement cost plus a flat amount for labor. And although with a truck that size mileage is generally the last concern if you pull that battering ram off the front end you'll probably get 2 mpg better. We had one that wasn't nearly as stout on our 01 2500 HD and when we pulled it off we got about 1.4 mpg better.

V-Eight
11-01-09, 12:57 PM
I really thing it depeneds on the car. 80 in the Trans Am feels like you are crawling and that thing is on almost sitting on the gound.

Yeah, it also depends on the handling/feel of the car. Some cars you can be ripping in and barely realize what speed you're actually going. This is especially true with newer cars.

Stingroo
11-01-09, 03:29 PM
^ That holds true for my dad's Mazda. There've been times I'll have that thing on I-95 and just be motoring along and I'd look down and be going like 120. It's crazy. lol

V-Eight
11-01-09, 03:37 PM
Mazda 6? I know that's what its like for our Mazda

Stingroo
11-01-09, 03:43 PM
Nah, older. He's got a '93 929. He wants a new 6 though. They're nice cars.

V-Eight
11-01-09, 04:45 PM
Yeah, my only beef with the 6 is that you need to get to around 3k before there is any power and that its FWD. We have the v6.

Stingroo
11-01-09, 05:03 PM
I agree, that car SHOULD be RWD. Meh. :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-09, 05:15 PM
The 929 was sweet. Too bad they didn't sell more of those. I liked the Millenia as well, but they never made much for power, even with the supercharged 2.3 (lol) Miller Cycle V6. I really liked that Mazda 3s I drove a few months back...that was one sharp little econocar, but even calling it that is insulting. It didn't feel cheap or entry level at all. To me, it felt like the poor man's 325i. My dad drove a 2.3L powered 6i a few years back and liked the car but hated the lack of low end torque.

Stingroo
11-01-09, 05:43 PM
The Miller Cycle Millenias had some huge problem.... Timing chain if I remember right. A lot of them used to come through the service shop at the Mazda dealer my dad worked at.

The 929 is really nice, but it's SO small. And it didn't even HAVE an optional tilt wheel (ours has every option available but the heated seats). I'm only 5'9 and I sit with that car's seat all the way back, and after long drives my legs still hurt. lol They would have sold more if they built them here in the U.S. after import costs, etc. they were about the same as a 3 series.

orconn
11-01-09, 05:45 PM
Of the Japanese cars I've always liked the Mazdas and the Hondas the best. Both brands design a degree of sporty handling into their cars and some of the Mazda have really been good looking. Starting with the Mazda Luce of the 1960's, Mazda was wise to contract out some of their styling to Italian auto design houses.

Stingroo
11-01-09, 05:51 PM
I can honestly say I've yet to find a vehicle from Honda that I enjoy. The Si sedan is as close as that's come, but it doesn't tickle my inner performance nut with its 197hp engine. Not interesting enough to me.

V-Eight
11-01-09, 06:14 PM
I can honestly say I've yet to find a vehicle from Honda that I enjoy. The Si sedan is as close as that's come, but it doesn't tickle my inner performance nut with its 197hp engine. Not interesting enough to me.

Agreed

I agree, that car SHOULD be RWD. Meh. :(

It'd be a lot more fun, understeer is a bitch

Stingroo
11-01-09, 07:53 PM
Really though, the Si IS a nice car. Just not enough for me for a "performance" car. They could bring us a type R with something in the 250hp range and it would be interesting to me. But as is, no thank you.

Aron9000
11-02-09, 01:52 AM

I've always thought the S2000 was an awesome little car. I wish they'd offered them with turbocharged motors though.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-02-09, 02:03 AM
You mean Bitch2000?

Stingroo
11-02-09, 02:04 AM
Well, the S2000 is cool, but I was thinking current production cars, plus, for the money, I'd rather have a Camaro really.. My cousin on my mom's side of the family owns two of them (S2000s). He's the web designer for BET. lol

V-Eight
11-02-09, 10:12 AM
....and if you're over 6'0", which I am.....good luck getting into an s2000.

Stingroo
11-02-09, 11:03 AM
True that. LOL That's probably the only reason I'm glad I'm somewhat short. I fit comfortably into a Z06. (a hint at my future I hope :p)