: I have a scooter problem

JimmyH
10-28-09, 04:59 PM
At the office, I have one of these cheapo (major cheapo) 150cc chinese scooters. In short, not worth the cheap price, since I am always fixing it.

Well, now, I got it running again, but anything above idling along, it seems to be either misfiring, or not getting enough gas. considering it is only one cylinder, I cannot tell the difference (of course I am not much of a mechanic either)

I was just wondering if anyone else has one of these mail-order scooters, and has any advice on my predicament. btw, the name of this scooter is Velocity. The word must mean something else to the Chinese :rolleyes:

Gristle Boy
10-28-09, 06:22 PM
Scooters are like fat chicks.
A lot of fun until your friends see you on one.
:duck:

Jonas McFeely
10-28-09, 06:27 PM

:highfive:

Ranger
10-28-09, 09:12 PM
Picturing Jimmy on a Hoveround.

RightTurn
10-28-09, 09:15 PM

:rofl:

Florian
10-29-09, 12:04 AM
you drive a V and ride a scooter......

Hand over your mancard....that is weak fu.

F

JimmyH
10-29-09, 01:00 AM
about the only time I ride it is when I am cruising around the parking lot trying to diagnose what is wrong with it. the boss bought it as a toy to ride around and run errands with. after two ninjas though, you are right, it is hardly a fun toy.

still, I am the only one at work who has even a clue how to keep it running. my idea was to tie it to the back of a truck, drag it down the street, and take bets on how many miles before all the pieces are gone.

orconn
10-29-09, 01:19 AM
Somehow, when I read "I've got a scooter problem" the vision of a large furry sitting dog dragging itself by its' front legs and paws across a white carpet!

Now that I see your real problem I suggest your boss donate said Chinese scooter to the the local high school's auto mechanics program for a tax deduction. Motor scooters seem to be gaining popularity and someone has to know how to fix them!

JimmyH
10-29-09, 01:25 AM
Somehow, when I read "I've got a scooter problem" the vision of a large furry sitting dog dragging itself by its' front legs and paws across a white carpet!

I have seen that in person and it is not a pretty picture.

Now that I see your real problem I suggest your boss donate said Chinese scooter to the the local high school's auto mechanics program for a tax deduction. Motor scooters seem to be gaining popularity and someone has to know how to fix them!

I told him not to buy it in the first place. I got vetoed.

But I still have to fix it. Somehow. I hope.

bierman.d
10-29-09, 02:42 AM
Yah my dog scoots a lot too.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-29-09, 05:37 AM
Chinese scooters, atv's and jetski's are all to be avoided.

Never mind the mechanical problems, the things are often of such poor build quality that they're dangerous.
I've seen them with thin, weak bolts used to hold the wheels or shocks on, snapped sing arm mounts etc.
And yet many parents will not be told and buy these cheap ass quads for their kids so they can save a few $$$.

Parts are next to impossible to get rendering them fit only for the trash.
They seem like such a bargain compared to proper brands but sadly the reality is different.
Most bike shops will refuse to work on chinese stuff.

Some chinese/taiwanese built bikes built to western spec and stocked by *many* real stores throughout the country are ok as they all come from a real domestic distribution centre stocked with parts. And if a lot of real stores stock them it tends to be because they have checked out the quality and parts availability before they risk selling them.

Stuff sold on ebay by a private person who bought a container load to make a quick buck are to be avoided.

I know a couple of people who have done just that (as sellers). They bring in a container or two then shut up shop within 4-6 months before the warranty claims start coming in.

ottawagta
10-29-09, 10:28 AM
Having bought my son a Chinese quad, I too have had many adventures...needless to say, when we bought him a dirtbike, it was a "real" one (Yamaha).

First of all, drain the fuel system. If the fuel petcock is not part of the tank, replace it with one from a ride on lawn tractor. The chinese ones tend to disintegrate and shed particles into the fuel. While you are at it, replace all fuel lines with quality stuff, and make sure to put in a fuel filter (again, one from a lawn tractor).

Now, take apart the carb carefully(make note of how many turns out the air/fuel screws are set at) and make sure all the junk and particles get cleaned out of it, and all passages are clear. Reassemble the carb and make sure that there all gaskets for the carb and manifold are in good condition. Set any fuel/ air screws back to their original position (ie. 1 turn out, or whatever they were at before you took them out.)

Make sure the air filter is not blocked. Ensure there are no air leaks between the carb and cylinder head.

Make sure that the cap where the cable goes into the carb is on tight.

Make sure the throttle cable is set correctly, so that the carb slider is sitting in the full down position (on the idle adjust) when no throttle is applied. With the bike off apply and release throttle quickly and you should hear the slider hit the idle adjust (thunk sound).

Check your plug, if sooty, you need to correct the running rich problem. Sometimes running a hotter plug will help. On the subject of plugs, make sure you have a good NGK plug in there. My son's quad came with a ATC7 plug, the NGK version is CR7HSA, I run a CR6HSA.

This site may help. http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids-quads-other-atvs/

If you search you can find a procedure for setting up the carb.

Best of luck!!!

Eric

R6DTS
10-29-09, 12:09 PM
you drive a V and ride a scooter......

Hand over your mancard....that is weak fu.

F
Hahaha

JimmyH
10-29-09, 01:28 PM
Having bought my son a Chinese quad, I too have had many adventures...needless to say, when we bought him a dirtbike, it was a "real" one (Yamaha).

First of all, drain the fuel system. If the fuel petcock is not part of the tank, replace it with one from a ride on lawn tractor. The chinese ones tend to disintegrate and shed particles into the fuel. While you are at it, replace all fuel lines with quality stuff, and make sure to put in a fuel filter (again, one from a lawn tractor).

Now, take apart the carb carefully(make note of how many turns out the air/fuel screws are set at) and make sure all the junk and particles get cleaned out of it, and all passages are clear. Reassemble the carb and make sure that there all gaskets for the carb and manifold are in good condition. Set any fuel/ air screws back to their original position (ie. 1 turn out, or whatever they were at before you took them out.)

Make sure the air filter is not blocked. Ensure there are no air leaks between the carb and cylinder head.

Make sure that the cap where the cable goes into the carb is on tight.

Make sure the throttle cable is set correctly, so that the carb slider is sitting in the full down position (on the idle adjust) when no throttle is applied. With the bike off apply and release throttle quickly and you should hear the slider hit the idle adjust (thunk sound).

Check your plug, if sooty, you need to correct the running rich problem. Sometimes running a hotter plug will help. On the subject of plugs, make sure you have a good NGK plug in there. My son's quad came with a ATC7 plug, the NGK version is CR7HSA, I run a CR6HSA.

This site may help. http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids-quads-other-atvs/

If you search you can find a procedure for setting up the carb.

Best of luck!!!

Eric

wow, that's more work than I wanted to hear :lol:

I did check the air filter, it looks like new. The fuel lines all seem good. I rode it for about 10 minutes around the parking lot, and it never died. So I know it's getting at least some fuel. And there is a translucent connector in the fuel line, and I can see the fuel moving around in there, and it looks like it is flowing good. I am also planning on removing the spark plug and checking that and getting a new one (if I can find one)

Other than that, I may have to swallow my pride and tell the boss to take it to a dealer. The one good thing about chinese stuff; their designers copy EVERYTHING, so the entire bike functions just like a yamaha. Which means a yamaha mechanic should be able to fix it.

thanks for the advice!

oh yeah, I did not think about the temp of the plug. I was having that problem on my 97 maxima, and going to hotter plugs solved the problem.

ottawagta
10-29-09, 02:08 PM
Other than that, I may have to swallow my pride and tell the boss to take it to a dealer. The one good thing about chinese stuff; their designers copy EVERYTHING, so the entire bike functions just like a yamaha. Which means a yamaha mechanic should be able to fix it.

While they do copy Yamaha or Honda engineering, the only thing a dealer will help you with is thowing it into the dumpster....I've been told that personally by a dealer.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much up to the owner to find out how to service them.

-Eric

CIWS
10-29-09, 02:14 PM
I think it's time for a fuel line rupture and mysterious fire :shhh:

EcSTSatic
10-29-09, 02:25 PM
I don't even think the metal is recyclable!

JimmyH
10-29-09, 02:38 PM
maybe I will just put it out front as a lawn ornament

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/scooter.jpg

RightTurn
10-29-09, 07:15 PM
Put some V embz on it.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-29-09, 08:45 PM
That looks nasty...

V-Eight
10-29-09, 08:53 PM
Launch it into that wall, or drop it out a window from a few stories high :D

JimmyH
10-29-09, 09:32 PM
not a bad idea

Ranger
10-29-09, 10:56 PM
You could not pay me enough to put that on MY lawn.

dkozloski
10-29-09, 11:57 PM
A couple of tweaks on the carb needles and it'll be good to go. Find a kid that flies gas model planes to help you or maybe a logger with a chain saw. Maybe you know somebody that has a Lawnboy mower.

bierman.d
10-30-09, 12:04 AM
Velocity!

Is she fast?

Stingroo
10-30-09, 12:06 AM
Velocity!

Is she fast?

No. Remember, he said it was Asian. So it has a name that makes it SOUND fast. ;)

bierman.d
10-30-09, 12:10 AM
Haha yah that seems to be the trend

Kev
10-30-09, 12:21 AM
Needs a wing on the back and a can on the pipe. That oughta give you a 25 hp gain at least ......

Kev
10-30-09, 12:23 AM
... wait ..... is that thing rated in horse power? ...... or My Little Pony power? :hmm:

Kev
10-30-09, 12:24 AM
When I saw this thread my first thought was it's a personal problem ...... :ill:

JimmyH
10-30-09, 02:25 PM
actually, when it is running right, it takes off faster than any other scooter I have ridden. granted, it is the only 150 I have ridden (most are 125 or 140 so you dont need a motorcycle license). My fatass got it up to almost 45mph. The boss' kid who only weighs about 100lb got it up over 50.

V-Eight
10-30-09, 02:58 PM
You could also take it over some jumps, I pretty much destroyed a scooter doing that. Electric scooter + bike jumps = carnage.

nickc50310
10-30-09, 04:15 PM
I require pics of Jimmy riding this scooter.

In high school I bought a Honda Express for $20. That thing had no muffler and could be heard for miles around. I had a car but a moped would be fun, especially when drinking! LMAO! My buddy ported the heads out and got 5 more mphs after that. Unfortunately it only lasted one hour and never started again, mustve lost compression after I had him port it. LOL!

JimmyH
10-30-09, 04:15 PM
I'll show you in person if you ever bring your lazy azz to another meet :D

nickc50310
10-30-09, 04:20 PM
I will for sure 100% be at the next meet. We should do it in the spring this time though.... :)

JimmyH
10-30-09, 10:49 PM
Nik and Gary were talking about a meet for the Chicago auto show in January.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-31-09, 03:07 AM
Its not being discussed, its happening. You need to come.

JimmyH
11-01-09, 01:10 PM
I guess that would be February actually.

gary88
11-01-09, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtqw_IEGh0&feature=related