: 99 sls aftermarket install problems

cgargis
10-27-09, 05:45 PM
trying to install a clarion vx409, i used the metra gmrc-03 harness/databus with chime... i hooked it up in the first part of the install, had sound... not as loud as i would have liked... had to leave in middle of install and came back to a dead battery... i charged the battery while i finished the install and after install was complete... head unit worked fine but no sound... correction minimal sound out of passenger door tweeter... volume was turned up to 50 sounded like it was on 1... any ideas?

Dev-ille
10-29-09, 11:14 AM
What made your battery die? Low voltage can do strange things to aftermarket gear, or completely kill them.

Did you read the note on the directions that say:

"*Note: The GMRC-03 can be used in Cadillac's that come with a factory amplifier; however the factory amplifier must be bypassed and the speaker wires on the GMRC-03 must not be used. Running new wires to the speakers is recommended. If the Cadillac also has Onstar, that feature will be lost."

Does your car have the factory amp? Onstar? If not I'd test my speaker outputs on my head unit first with an exterior speaker to make sure that they are still good. If they were, I'd swap the GMRC-03 out to see if that is your problem.

cgargis
10-29-09, 12:29 PM
okay, i dont have bose, no onstar... but i do have a sub on my rear deck... not sure if everything else is ampliphied... put the stock radio back in and now theres no sound from that either.... checked the fuses under the rear seat and everything is all good... no amp fuse either

cgargis
10-29-09, 04:03 PM
correction... amp fuse... the big maxi fuse is good... didn't see that one at first... audio fuse is good.... battery died out again from having the doors open i guess.... mysteriously my sound is back with the stock unit... maybe the battery was low... doesn't explain why the aftermarket unit had no sound while the car was running...

Dev-ille
10-29-09, 06:07 PM
The presence of the sub, and amp fuse leads me to think that you do have a factory amp in there (genius, huh:p), and as the instructions say, the GMRC-03 will not work as a plug and play interface. Instead of the GMRC-03 you would need a GMOS-06 to correctly interface with the amp, or you could keep the GMRC-03 and run new speaker wires in the car. Running them to the factory amp and catching them there would be the best way if you decide to go that route, although I'd rather get the correct interface for the job if it were me.

cgargis
10-30-09, 05:23 PM
durr.. you were right lol, gmos-06 is a go.... everything seems to be working fine with it... let you know if there are any mishaps

Dev-ille
11-04-09, 07:38 PM
durr.. you were right lol, gmos-06 is a go.... everything seems to be working fine with it... let you know if there are any mishaps

Good deal. Glad you got it figured out.

cgargis
11-04-09, 07:42 PM
now the h/u likes to shut off and on by itself and it seems like its clockwork... it turns off for a couple minutes and turns back on... and it seems like it always happens at the same times during my daily comute.... think maybe its when the computer senses codes and its trying to give me a chime?

Dev-ille
11-05-09, 10:30 AM
Are you losing memory when your radio cuts out? If not then it sounds like your losing your accy power to the radio. If you can't test the power while this is happening (since you're driving), then I'd probably try and unplug the module for about 10 minutes to reset it and see what happens when I got home. It may be a bad module, but I'd try and reset it before I swapped it out. Did you ever get your battery/charging system checked to see why your battery died? I'm not saying that's your problem, but voltage problems can play hell with these modules.

cgargis
11-05-09, 07:48 PM
I'm not losing memory when it shuts off, and my battery is also fine now, i think the battery problem is because i didn't kill power when i was workin on the radio and everytime i unplugged it, there was like a surge or something... but that issue is resolved somewhat... i talked to my brother and he said same thing about the 12 volt accy.... also my chimes aren't working... that maybe do to unplugging the battery and not programming my features... but yea... i htink the data-bus is faulty... gonna see about unplugging it and then getting a different one if problem persists