: DTC P1112 Intake Plenum Switchover Solenoid Control Circuit

vr4-us
10-26-09, 06:27 PM
Hi every one. Well I got my first catera, for free! Because it doesnt run/kinda. Well as said in the tittle its throwing that CEL. And I have no idea what it means. Also the car has a hard time starting(replaced crank angle sensor). Didnt work, if I sit there and crank it for about 20sec it always starts. Also there is white smoke coming from the exhaust, when you first start the car it smokes really bad. When the car is warm it hardly smokes at all. Smoke comeing from pass side head, right belowe the fuel lines. Any one have any ideas or links? Thank you -Shelby-

AHazzardToAll
10-26-09, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you NEED to change the valve cover gasket, they're probably pretty awful. the smoke is from oil when you first start it up. and the smoke under the hood is also from the valve cover gaskets. if you live anywhere near the indy area i could take a look at it for you. i've done the job several times. i suggest replacing the valve covers themselves off the saturn 3.0. someone on here suggested it and it's worked wonders. if it's a 97 or 98 you might starting messing up the plug wires or if it's 99-01 you might get into the coils. either way it really needs to be done befor you start putting miles on it. You should be able to get them done around 400ish, but don't take them to cadillac because the mechanics there really could care less if the job's done right on a catera and they'll charge around 600. some mechanics were specifically trained on the catera but they're few and far between now and most the guys on here know more about them then the dealerships' mechanics would. all in my opinion and personal experience of course.

vr4-us
10-27-09, 08:54 PM
Its a 1999 catera. Do you know where I could get the valve cover gaskets? Really off of a Saturn 3.0l, are they different? Im not close to indy at all! What do you mean by the coils?

Sounds like you NEED to change the valve cover gasket, they're probably pretty awful. the smoke is from oil when you first start it up. and the smoke under the hood is also from the valve cover gaskets. if you live anywhere near the indy area i could take a look at it for you. i've done the job several times. i suggest replacing the valve covers themselves off the saturn 3.0. someone on here suggested it and it's worked wonders. if it's a 97 or 98 you might starting messing up the plug wires or if it's 99-01 you might get into the coils. either way it really needs to be done befor you start putting miles on it. You should be able to get them done around 400ish, but don't take them to cadillac because the mechanics there really could care less if the job's done right on a catera and they'll charge around 600. some mechanics were specifically trained on the catera but they're few and far between now and most the guys on here know more about them then the dealerships' mechanics would. all in my opinion and personal experience of course.

CateraMV6
10-27-09, 11:37 PM
Blue smoke is oil burning.
White smoke is antifreeze or water vapors from antifreeze entering the engine through a blown head gasket.

See if you see or hear bubbles in the expansion coolant tank.

If it was ever overheated you most likely have a blown head gasket.

How is the power? Does it hesitate? Notice it running hot?

AHazzardToAll
10-28-09, 02:04 AM
my girlfriend's put out a thick white smoke when she first got the car, and it was the valve covers. also, if you have to crank it for 20 seconds you can burn out your starter easily, so caution with that. as far as valve cover gaskets, i think any auto parts store would carry them. i buy the felpro and 2yrs later no issues. some people have sworn they go bad but not my experience so far. just seal the corners real well. and if you do swap the covers the oil tube is relocated but same basic setup. someone posted the info on here, i'll have to search for it though.