: MAP sensor keeps going bad - 94 N*

AlanK
10-26-09, 04:23 PM
Hi Folks,
1994 Eldorado Touring Coupe 4.6L N*

The map sensor keeps going bad in this car. I can go into diagnostic mode on the computer and watch the erratic input on PD02. A new sensor will provide rock solid inputs to the computer for ~3 months after which the signal will become more and more erratic. Stutters and hesitation eventually give way to the engine stalling and not starting again until it cools enough for open-loop operation. These are dealer MAP sensors that keep failing.

Something is causing this sensor to fail. Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening? BTW, the engine doesn't burn any oil to speak of.

Many thanks and looking forward to some much needed help.
---
Alan

Krashed989
10-26-09, 11:22 PM
Are you sure it's the sensor that's failing and not something to do with the connection in the plug? Try unplugging and plugging back in the current one to see if the problem is solved for a little while.

It's interesting, my name is Allen and my last name begins with K also... Plus I drive the same car as you.... Are you from the twilight zone or something? Hahaha

AlanK
10-27-09, 09:49 AM
Yea, the twilight zone would explain a lot!! I can't say that it's not the connector - but on the other hand, the MAP clearly goes bad and I'm not sure how the connector could induce failure. Maybe it's a good idea to replace the connector too and see what happens. Any other ideas?

PS - There appears to be some fluid in the bottom of the intake manifold - is this just condensation that forms and can't get out of the intake?

Thx!

Ranger
10-27-09, 12:58 PM
That is most likely crankcase and EGR gases that condense when the engine is shut down. It's normal.