: Automatic transmission - 40-60mph 6th gear...

Vrocks
10-26-09, 02:36 PM
Anyone else dislike how the transmission holds 6th (sometimes 5th) for too long? If I roll into the gas at around 50mph with it in 6th gear, it'll lug the engine to the point where the shifter moves around. It's been like this since day one, and I guess it's for fuel economy but I think it's bad on the drivetrain.

If I push the pedal a bit further it will down shift like it should. I can also accelerate at a decent pace without inducing the lug / shifter shake.

N8dawg
10-26-09, 02:47 PM
That's why you don't buy an automatic.

Vrocks
10-26-09, 03:01 PM
That's why you don't buy an automatic.
I got the auto for re-sale and performance.

neuronbob
10-26-09, 03:04 PM
I note the same. Solution: drive in Sport Mode. That's what I do. :thumbsup:

musclesbmf
10-26-09, 04:27 PM
Yes...
Sport mode and a TCM tune from Jesse...

Mark

egyptianzeus
10-26-09, 05:06 PM
:werd:

Vrocks
10-26-09, 08:39 PM
I put it in sport mode but the lug is still there, and I can't get jesse's tune uploaded yet. My tcm won't unlock (working with Rudy @ sct) but the ECM does - not sure what's going on. I just wasn't sure if this is a common problem with the auto.

tedcmiller
10-26-09, 10:07 PM
Being able to manually shift gears with the automatic is provided two ways: 1) with the gear shift (+,-) or 2) using the paddles on the back side of the steering wheel. So, this is not a reason to not buy an automatic. In any case, the auto will continue to shift automatically if the gear shift is moved to the M (manual) position, but is not moved to either the + or - positions. Unlike normal auto shift mode where the car always starts from a standstill in second gear, the M position will start the car in first gear and changes the shift pattern to be more aggressive. This might eliminate Vrocks complaint, while continuing to shift automatically.

Vrocks
10-26-09, 10:32 PM
Going to sport mode changes the behavior but not much during normal driving. When I'm driving during my commute home, traffic slowly gets up to speed (mid to upper 50s), and the transmission control module selects 6th gear. Once that happens, it holds the gear like it would when it's in normal mode.

edsuski
10-26-09, 10:44 PM
What I find most annoying is cruising on the freeway in a little traffic at say - 50 mph in 6th gear (auto). Then, the traffic clears up and you step on the gas. The car shifts down to (Iím guessing 4th) and the power drops way off until the shift is accomplished. Then full power. Until it is time to shift from 5th to 6th. Once again, the power is reduced (timing? fuel restriction?) and the car shifts into 6th and once again - full power. It kind of gives you the impression that the car is a little sleepy and when you demand power - it hesitates for just a fraction of a second.

Do the rest of you with automatics experience this? I know the transmission is trying to protect itself (or is it the rear end?) and it makes sense - but I would rather have a transmission (and/or rear end) that could handle the full power of the car.

As for auto vs. manual - the auto is still faster and I have not missed a single shift from a stop light :).

Tony407
10-27-09, 02:09 AM
These sorts of complaints about the AT are very commonplace. I myself noticed them the first day I had the car.

In short, the shifting/throttle response of the AT car is weak. Some of us (myself included) have solved this problem with the Wait4Me tune. Problems solved. Drives like a new car. Seriously.

Tony

Kadonny
10-27-09, 09:07 AM
Anyone else dislike how the transmission holds 6th (sometimes 5th) for too long? If I roll into the gas at around 50mph with it in 6th gear, it'll lug the engine to the point where the shifter moves around. It's been like this since day one, and I guess it's for fuel economy but I think it's bad on the drivetrain.

If I push the pedal a bit further it will down shift like it should. I can also accelerate at a decent pace without inducing the lug / shifter shake.

Vrocks, do you get a shake or miss type feel when in 6th at low rpms?

I am having this issue. 6th gear, low rpms (1500-2000) cruising speeds, I call for slight acceleration under load (going up incline) but not enough to make the car downshift and I get a bumping/shake almost like a miss until I hit 2000 rpms. I already changed my plugs and wires and that helped for a week, then it went back to doing it all over again.

I'm trying to figure out what it may be so I can get the dealer to look at it.

Vrocks
10-27-09, 10:41 AM
Vrocks, do you get a shake or miss type feel when in 6th at low rpms?

I am having this issue. 6th gear, low rpms (1500-2000) cruising speeds, I call for slight acceleration under load (going up incline) but not enough to make the car downshift and I get a bumping/shake almost like a miss until I hit 2000 rpms. I already changed my plugs and wires and that helped for a week, then it went back to doing it all over again.

I'm trying to figure out what it may be so I can get the dealer to look at it.
Kadonny, I've experieced what you're talking about - the car bumps back and forth a bit.

I'm close to your area but I'm going to be away in Vegas until next week :D. If you want to make sure we have the same problem; I could meet you at the super Wawa, just south of your dealer.

Kadonny
10-27-09, 11:26 AM
Sure. Shoot me a PM when you return and we'll set it up some day.

09V
10-28-09, 08:27 PM
Hey guys I have an AT and I experience the same issues. Took the car in today and they claim that one of my coils is bad. We will see when I get it back. Identical scenario. The problem started off really slow and I thought maybe a bad tank of gas somehow. Wrong! I think it is a programming issue and I doubt they will do crap to fix it, but I will give nearly anyone the benefit of the doubt once. If it happens again we will see what the excuse will be then.

Matt

09V
10-30-09, 12:30 AM
Got my hoopty back today. It seems to run well. A little more responsive and a much smoother feel through each gear. Apparently only the coil was replaced, but I think they may have messed with programming. Unknown!!!
You may want to consider taking your cars in and have them looked at to see if this may be a larger issue???

Matt

Kadonny
10-30-09, 08:52 AM
Thanks Matt, good info. I definitely plan on having me dealer look at it when I take it in to put my winter tires on. Great info though, thanks!

09V
10-30-09, 11:05 PM
No Problem. When you get it checked send me a pm to let me know what they found, if anything.
Matt

09V
11-26-09, 03:09 AM
Has your problem resolved itself or are you still experiencing the same things?

Mike 09 V
11-26-09, 03:59 PM
(I am having this issue. 6th gear, low rpms (1500-2000) cruising speeds, I call for slight acceleration under load (going up incline) but not enough to make the car downshift and I get a bumping/shake almost like a miss until I hit 2000 rpms. )

You ought to get some boost from the SC under those conditions I think. My car will climb a hill and not miss a beat, I'll just hear a little SC sound. More horsepower= no lug. I had a supercharged Park Avenue and that is what it would do. Instead of downshifting it would just throw in some boost and away I went. Let the dealer earn some of that warranty money you paid in the purchase price.

ruben
01-19-10, 12:50 PM
my 2009 ctsv automatic drive train shakes as im slowing down at 30,40 and 50 miles per hour on a smooth road. Any one experiencing this problem the dealer seems to have solution for me

ruben
01-19-10, 01:38 PM
my 2009 ctsv automatic drive train shakes as im slowing down at 30,40 and 50 miles per hour on a smooth road. Any one experiencing this problem the dealer seems to have no solution for me at this time. i meant the dealer or gm have no solution so far to my problem

gnxs
01-19-10, 02:24 PM
In short, the shifting/throttle response of the AT car is weak. Some of us (myself included) have solved this problem with the Wait4Me tune. Problems solved. Drives like a new car. Seriously.

Tony
+1. W4M's Tunes are worth the cost for the transmission re-calibration alone.

Kadonny
01-19-10, 02:46 PM

The W4M tune did not fix my shake. By the way, it's still there, I just drive around the condition. If it's in a lower rpm in a higher gear, I accelerate enough to make it downshift.

Just my observance, the AT needs a little more work on this car. I would probably not be having the issue in a MT since I would have downshifted at the point the car does the shaking.

gnxs
01-19-10, 03:29 PM
The W4M tune did not fix my shake. By the way, it's still there, I just drive around the condition. If it's in a lower rpm in a higher gear, I accelerate enough to make it downshift.

Just my observance, the AT needs a little more work on this car. I would probably not be having the issue in a MT since I would have downshifted at the point the car does the shaking.
Not sure what your problem may be, but my car/trans doesn't shake at all, even when lugging the car in 6th at low speeds. I find the transmission downshifts pretty much the way I'd expect it to (i.e. I know how much throttle I need to feed in if I want it to downshift).

The auto trans in these cars from the factory is far from perfect although it's much better than my 06 STS-V was. With the W4M tune, I currently have no complaints with mine. Jesse tuned my car in person though, so he may have been able to fine tune it a bit more precisely than yours (if your car was not done in person).

sefa01
01-19-10, 08:36 PM

Out of curiosity, what does the W4M tune do to your gas mileage?

Tony407
01-20-10, 01:20 AM

I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I've heard some people getting 20-ish mpg on the highway and the most I've ever gotten was 18. Not sure if this can be attributed to the tune or not. I would say that if anything, it really reduces your mileage in town because you're always romping on it. It really does make a big difference.

Tony

gnxs
01-20-10, 08:37 AM
I can't say for sure, since the stock tune was only in the car for a week, but when Jesse tuned my car he stated I would see better mpg. He fully expected a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel mileage with the tune he did for me.

The fuel mileage indicator in the car seemed to confirm that based on comparing the numbers pre and post tune at a 65 mph cruise, but I'd hardly call that a scientific evaluation. I didn't buy the car with gas mileage as a consideration, so I haven't paid too much attention to it.

wait4me
01-20-10, 10:03 AM
Im in full control of trans shifting like what you are seeing, and i do have a fix for that issue for those that want it, Not everyone drives the same and dont see issues like this, But the people in dubai where the first people to show me it, so while i was there i changed some things on thier trans to allow less holding of 6th and 5th gear and it fixed that issue for them. Usually i leave all those values stock, as not too many people want the shift habits of the shift schedules to be changed..