: DOA Catera

JoshinWV
10-26-09, 12:17 PM
It didn't even last two weeks.....

$2318.change and I'm out the engine completely. It spun a rod bearing AFTER I got it back from the dealership. Is it really worth sinking another 2K into an engine and installation for it?

With having the transmission replaced less than 15K ago and it's already going out again, I'm looking at about $1200 to replace the trans AGAIN with a used (>20K miles) trans. So sinking roughly $5700 into it, for what just to own a Cadillac? Not worth it IMO. I just bought a 1992 Camery for $500, dumped $300 in struts and CV shafts into it and whaddaya know, I have a smooth riding car that will last me another 150K miles.

I might be parting it out if I can't get anywhere with the Cat. :dammit: :rant2:

Matera97
10-26-09, 06:22 PM
Alright, so I would be interested in parts what year?

AHazzardToAll
10-27-09, 12:45 AM
i might be interested in the whole car.... =)

CateraMV6
10-27-09, 12:49 AM
Ummm dont konw where you are getting such prices, the lokal junker had an engine/trans combo out of a 90K car for around 650$... you pay someone a few hours labor to install it and should be good to go.

If you have to buy parts from the dealer, then we are talking a whole different story.

My dad and I removed the trans for a rear main seal replacement and took us around 3hrs with simple tools...

Removing engine shouldnt be that much more difficult.

Black02SLPSS
10-27-09, 04:43 AM
Removing engine shouldnt be that much more difficult.

Well that depends on if you remove the engine by itself or with the transmission attached. Either way, reinstalling the 3.2 into the car was pretty tricky simply because of how far back in the engine bay the thing sat.

CateraMV6
10-27-09, 05:24 PM
By removing the trans we had to remove the entire exhaust system, and all was left was maybe fuel lines, some wiring, motor mounts and a few other hoses, and the motor could have come out as well...

I still think a full swap can be done for a reasonable amount of money!

Black02SLPSS
10-28-09, 12:14 PM
Hm, we left the exhaust system in. Just umbolted it from the manifolds. It was kind of a pain to get it all back in with the exhaust in place.

JoshinWV
10-29-09, 03:40 PM
The car is a 1999 Catera. RIP my darling. AHazzardToAll, unless you are close with a flatbed, you aren't going to get far. I guess the dealership did their job, the oil is golden clean, so it was just from me not catching the mix in time.

Man I'm so depressed.

As for a 90K engine, I'd want something with a few less miles on it. I found an $800 transmission with <20K miles on it (which is a little promising) but I'm looking for an engine with <50K on it.

If I can get $2300 in parts out of it, I might be ok. Hey, it has a new timing belt, heater control valve, and a new oil cooler! :jerkit:

I thought there were special tools that you have to have to work on the engine?

I'm good at engine swaps, and I do like the fact that it IS RWD. What else could I put in it to keep it RWD?

And yes CateraMV6 the parts were from a dealer. No place here close to me would touch it besides a dealership.

- Josh

So I'm driving a 1992 Camry now...

Black02SLPSS
10-30-09, 05:54 AM
Well you could get ahold of a 3.2 liter engine off of ebay like i did. They were destined for a CTS. All you will need to change is the oil pan and pick-up and the oil filter adapter. Thats basically it. And since your lucky and have a 99 your ignition is plug and play, unlike mine which is a 98 where i had to put the coil on the back. No biggy tho

AHazzardToAll
10-30-09, 11:03 AM
what is close, i'm near Indianapolis and have a buddy with a flat bed. do you have any pictures of it?

Matera97
10-30-09, 11:31 PM
If you have the Sport rocker panels I want them...lol...How much?

Army_MP_From_MO
11-01-09, 12:19 PM
I need a tan rear sun shade.

Matera97
11-03-09, 09:23 PM
So whats the scoop on this departed Catera?

JoshinWV
11-05-09, 09:47 AM
Well you could get ahold of a 3.2 liter engine off of ebay like i did. They were destined for a CTS. All you will need to change is the oil pan and pick-up and the oil filter adapter. Thats basically it. And since your lucky and have a 99 your ignition is plug and play, unlike mine which is a 98 where i had to put the coil on the back. No biggy tho

Black,

is the 3.2 engine PnP with the current Catera electronics and transmission?

Guy wants 2200 for engine and trans, the engine has 75K the trans has 42K and wants 1600 to install it. (eh I can do that myself if I chose to)

Hazzard, I'll get some pics, the only thing is there is some slight rust at the bottom of the doors. Nothing that a DA and a little time can't handle. You ARE looking for a Catera Sport right, because that is what I have.

The interior is all black (heated) leather, so any parts other than color, I don't have. I'll get some pictures and put them up on my website and post the link here when I can.

I might be willing to keep the car if I can find a 3.0 (or 3.2) and trans for a decent price. unfortunately around here, because it;s a "Caddy" they add an extra charge for it. The sad thing is I do NOT want to run premium in the darn thing. The 3.0 suggests premium and I noticed a big difference in when I put in 87 vs. 93. octane.

As far as what exactly is going on with it, I'm still talking to the wife about what the options are. If it just wasn't so friggin heavy, I'd have other plans for it, but it's a tank.

Matera97
11-05-09, 09:39 PM
A tank it is. Well good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. And if you do decide to part it out, like I said I would really like the Sport rocker panels for mine, you can tell because the flare out closer to the wheel wells, rather than a straight line.

CateraMV6
11-05-09, 10:26 PM
A tank it is. Well good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. And if you do decide to part it out, like I said I would really like the Sport rocker panels for mine, you can tell because the flare out closer to the wheel wells, rather than a straight line.

Damn you!... you beat me to it. LOL
I am on the look out for those as well, although I have a feeling they will look stupid with my front lip.

BTW You said you spun a rod bearing after you got it from the dealer...
Have you looked at your oil level?

Low oil level leads to low or no oil pressure and those rod bearings depend on oil film to provide support and eliminate friction between the metal parts... so when oil pressure drops your crankshaft pushes against the rod bearings and causes them to spin...

JoshinWV
11-06-09, 10:06 AM
Damn you!... you beat me to it. LOL
I am on the look out for those as well, although I have a feeling they will look stupid with my front lip.

BTW You said you spun a rod bearing after you got it from the dealer...
Have you looked at your oil level?

Low oil level leads to low or no oil pressure and those rod bearings depend on oil film to provide support and eliminate friction between the metal parts... so when oil pressure drops your crankshaft pushes against the rod bearings and causes them to spin...

Actually I have, the oil is fresh and to the right level, it's even fresh oil, I can tell. Normally, when I built hod rods and people came in with head gasket issues, I'd relube the crank journals (at a minimum) with good assembly lube. I always thought that was a common sense thing to do. I guess I was mistaken.

I found a 3.2L, but honestly wish I could go with a northstar engine / rwd combo. If I could I might consider keeping it. Also if I sold it as is, what could I expect to reasonably get out of it? Would $2300 be asking a lot for it?

Matera97
11-06-09, 12:41 PM
IMO that is asking a lot for an 11 year old car, that won't move. If the body was immaculate, you might get away with 1800 to 2G. Honestly though, I think you would be lucky to get even 1200.

JoshinWV
11-06-09, 03:47 PM
IMO that is asking a lot for an 11 year old car, that won't move. If the body was immaculate, you might get away with 1800 to 2G. Honestly though, I think you would be lucky to get even 1200.

Ok, I was just wondering what was reasonable. I'll have to get some pictures this weekend.

AHazzardToAll
11-06-09, 06:36 PM
where are you located? I might come by and take a look at it. Thanks, Luke. :thumbsup:

JoshinWV
11-09-09, 09:36 AM
I live about 20 min to 1/2 hour West of Pittsburgh PA in Weirton. Depending on traffic through the Pitt tunnels and the parkway.

AHazzardToAll
11-09-09, 11:30 AM
ha ha, i'll just wait on a few pictures and a price and then if i decide i want it i'll make the trip.

AHazzardToAll
11-16-09, 11:43 AM
i'm guessing u decided to keep this cat?