: I sold my mini truck on Ebay but...

Rolex
10-25-09, 12:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/photo-7.jpg

So I sort of impulse bought a Japanese mini truck earlier this year OTD for 6k. Then I spent another 1.5k fixing it up to be a cool little hunting truck. I was counting on Arkansas legislators making these things street legal this summer and running it around the city streets. When they didn't pass the law to legalize them what I was left with was a big 4 wheeler sitting in my driveway taking up space.

So I decided to sell it and get some $$$ back out of it. The trouble with selling it locally has been there aren't a lot of people with 7k burning a whole in their pocket nowdays. So I listed it on Ebay to appeal to a broader audience.

Last night a guy in Bald Knob, Arkansas used the buy now button (at 2:59 am :suspect:) and "bought" it for 6.5k. Yes there is a town named Bald Knob in AR.....it' not as bad as Booger Holler, AR. Bear in mind this guy is WELL within driving distance to me at ~~ 250 miles. So I'm all excited this morning that I sold it to someone I won't have to ship it to, and emailed the buyer (that has 0 feedback on Fleebay :hide:).

Hello,

Thanks for using the buy now option on the mini truck. If you'd
like to give me a call to make arrangements to pick the truck up
you can do so at (479)867-5309 home number or (479)867-5309 on my cell.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Rolex

So about an hour later he emails me back:

can u not ship it somehow cause i dont have a vehicle right now it is in the shop getting fixed

What kind of person that doesn't have a working primary vehicle buy's an offroad truck for 6.5k? :suspect: I DON'T like where this is going, but I emailed him back:

Your Ebay user profile says you live in Bald Knob, Arkansas, is that correct? Bald Knob is within driving distance from Rogers (roughly 250 miles). From what I can find if you want to have a professional company ship the truck you're probably looking at $1.50-$1.70 per mile or so to ship it on an open truck. They will consider cost of diesel fuel, insurance, driver salaries, an so on into their quotes. That would probably cost you an additional $350-$450 to ship. You're welcome to get shipping quotes on your own and arrange to have it picked up though. I am off this week and would be glad to help someone load it up.

Since I am off this week, I would be willing to trailer it up and bring it to Bald Knob if you'd be willing to negotiate shipping with me. If you'd prefer me to bring it myself you could send the $1000 deposit + the shipping cost to me via paypal, and let me know what day this week you want me to bring it over.

Just let me know.
Rolex

I don't have a good feeling about the whole deal, and fear I will end up having a dead beat buyer. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :alchi:

V-Eight
10-25-09, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a drunk prankster, but hopefully it all works out.

hueterm
10-25-09, 03:32 PM
Yeah....I wouldn't hold my breath.

They must have ruined a batch down at the still (or the meth lab) and don't need it now to get it out of the woods..... ;-)

Jonas McFeely
10-25-09, 04:20 PM
I don't have a good feeling about the whole deal, and fear I will end up having a dead beat buyer. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :alchi:

Ive sold three cars on Ebay and every one of them has been sold under odd circumstances and to even odder people.

Sold my '85 Seville to a guy in England. I thought for sure it was a scam. But kiss-my-grits it wasnt. Completely legit. The guy bought the car for $2,850 and paid another $3,000 just to get it over there. About 3 weeks after the auction was over, an old couple came by in a Rav4 and said they were here to pick up the car and take it to the port in Jacksonville. A month later, the guy got the car.

Sold my '96 Lumina to a very odd father and son that flew down from Atlanta. Picked them up from the airport, and for the 30 miles back to my house, neither of them said more than 5 words. Gave me the $1,700 in cash(less $500 Paypal deposit) and drove off into the sunset.

Sold my '00 ML320 to a VERY religious farmer from north Florida. Took a bus down here. He talked about God and quoted Bible verses the entire way from the bus station to the house. Said how much he loved the 1st-gen ML320's and was buying this one for his son-in-law. Gave me a legit cashiers check for $4,650 and drove off.

This world is full of oddballs. And they seem to like to buy their cars on Ebay.

Dont get me started on Craigslist...

Oh, and bad-ass little truck. In Florida, you could register that thing with no hassle whatsoever. Florida is known for having very lax laws for that kind of thing. You can register just about anything with lights and turn signals as a kit car. Orlando is chock-full of RHD Japanese imports. I cant tell you how many Skyline's, Silvia's, and Soarer's ive seen around here. All RHD, and usually driven by UCF or Full Sail kids.

V-Eight
10-25-09, 04:52 PM
IUCF or Full Sail kids.

What's that?

Stingroo
10-25-09, 04:53 PM
There was a guy with a RHD 4th gen Camaro down by me in Pompano. I wanted that car. :(

V-Eight
10-25-09, 04:56 PM
RHD Camaro!? That's pretty gay

gary88
10-25-09, 05:09 PM
Gald I stopped using ebay awhile ago. Amazon FTW.

Jonas McFeely
10-25-09, 05:14 PM
What's that?

University of Central Florida and Full Sail University(a music and film school)

RightTurn
10-25-09, 08:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/photo-7.jpg

Is there a truck in that pic? :alchi:

RightTurn
10-25-09, 08:12 PM
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/camouflage-protecting-men-from-honey-dos-since-1902-demotivational-poster.jpg

Rolex
10-25-09, 10:20 PM
Haha arteeze is hatin' on my mini. :nyanya:

I hope my circumstances are similar to Jonas.' I just found out that once the auction went through I owe Ebay $126.50 for a successful sale. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that is non refundable if this guy turns out to be a non payer. If this dude ends up costing me over a hundred bucks for his own amusement I'm gonna be smokin pissed off....to the point I may go down a file on him in claims court.

c5 rv
10-25-09, 10:39 PM
Speaking of strange buyer / sellers... A friend was looking for a relatively rare carb for his GTO and found one on Craigslist about 150 miles away in Ohio for a reasonable price (like $150 v. $450 on ebay). The guy didn't want to mess with shipping, so my friend talked to UPS and told the guy to just put it in a box and and he'd have UPS pick it up from his porch. The guy said if he had to find a box, he might as well deliver it. No, not to UPS, to Michigan. He drove it up on his motorcycle and called my buddy at work. They met and the guy wouldn't accept any money or a meal for his trouble. He said he just needed a good excuse for a long motorcycle trip since he'd been out of work on disability and wasn't able to ride most of the summer.

Rolex
10-25-09, 10:58 PM
Ha, I'd never be lucky enough for any of that. At this point I think I'll crap the bed if this guy turns out to be legit.

First thing he asked was for me to "just ship it" to him....only 240 miles away. :suspect: Then when I emailed him back that I knew his name and address from his fleEbay user profile he never answered back. This evening I get on to the guy's profile and can't find his name and address anymore. Too bad for him I had already saved it and used Google maps to see where he lives via satelite.

Here's me email to him this evening:

Just a reminder: per the terms of the auction you should submit
the $1000 deposit via Paypal within 48 hours. If you'd like me to
trailer the truck over to you just get back to me. I think $250
would be fair to cover my fuel and time to bring the truck to
you.

Chris

orconn
10-26-09, 12:02 AM

I hope my circumstances are similar to Jonas.' I just found out that once the auction went through I owe Ebay $126.50 for a successful sale. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that is non refundable if this guy turns out to be a non payer. If this dude ends up costing me over a hundred bucks for his own amusement I'm gonna be smokin pissed off....to the point I may go down a file on him in claims court.

Give the buyer a reasonable (check Ebay Dispute for non-payment) Ebay will investigate and will refund (or dismiss) the fees involved in the sale of your truck. You shouldn't be out of pocket for anything ..... other than your wasted time!

RightTurn
10-26-09, 12:14 AM

:highfive:

Destroyer
10-26-09, 01:21 AM
Sold my '00 ML320 YOU had an '00 ML320? Not that it's real expensive or anything great but it seems out of character for you. :lildevil:

Destroyer
10-26-09, 01:23 AM

Leave him a bad feedback, oh wait, you can't. :banghead:

Rolex
10-26-09, 01:31 AM
Give the buyer a reasonable (check Ebay Dispute for non-payment) Ebay will investigate and will refund (or dismiss) the fees involved in the sale of your truck. You shouldn't be out of pocket for anything ..... other than your wasted time!

I sincerely hope that is the case if this guy is a deadbeat.

Leave him a bad feedback, oh wait, you can't. :banghead:

I've heard about Ebay favoring the buyer now. Even still that's a fight I will lose. I give him a red mark and he does the same to me. Mr 0 feedback just starts a new profile and my 100% rating goes to pot. I lose either way.

Jonas McFeely
10-26-09, 03:00 AM
YOU had an '00 ML320? Not that it's real expensive or anything great but it seems out of character for you. :lildevil:

I have a friend that has wealthy parents. They bought it for him new as a graduation present. He beat the hell out of it for 9 years, 3 of which it sat for long periods of time. The last stint, the passenger window was stuck down for about 6 months. It was quite a mess when i got my hands on it.

I bought it for $1,500 and put about $700 into it as far as cleaning and minor repairs and whatnot.

Sold it on Ebay back in August for $4,650. That took care of a lot of problems for me ;)

snum1fan
10-26-09, 04:08 AM
No you will not be out anything.

If the guy doesn't come through you click resolve next to where the truck is under sold on your myebay. Then you click cancel eBay transaction. The buyer then has 5 or 7 (forget) days to ok the close transaction. If he oks eBay automatically refunds your final value fee. If he doesn't respond within the time frame it will give you the option to close the case and automatically take off the final value fee.

If the guy bs's you around and disputes the cancel transaction just open a chat with eBay and tell them that this guy has not payed your deposit and you suspect he is a fraud and they will do it on the spot.

The only thing you will be out is what it cost you to "list" under $5.00??? it on eBay and your time.

Destroyer
10-26-09, 08:54 AM
I have a friend that has wealthy parents. They bought it for him new as a graduation present. He beat the hell out of it for 9 years, 3 of which it sat for long periods of time. The last stint, the passenger window was stuck down for about 6 months. It was quite a mess when i got my hands on it.

I bought it for $1,500 and put about $700 into it as far as cleaning and minor repairs and whatnot.

Sold it on Ebay back in August for $4,650. That took care of a lot of problems for me ;)Good score! ;)