: Need some help: Hood stuck/can't get open (1997 Catera)

nizzo
10-24-09, 08:08 PM
Can't get the hood open. It was already pretty hard to open and I had to pull the hood plug (under drivers side dash) with a wrench but now its completely stuck. Is there a safety latch or some way to get it open???

R-Caddy
10-25-09, 05:52 PM
Use a thin screwdriver to take the grill out. That may or may not give you access to the handle.

AHazzardToAll
10-25-09, 09:32 PM
have someone push down real hard at the spring point of the hood while you pull the cable. the hood spring may need readjusting.

JRomano
10-25-09, 09:44 PM
have someone push down real hard at the spring point of the hood while you pull the cable. the hood spring may need readjusting.

that worked for me when i got mine, the hood wouldn't open unless someone was pushing down when i pulled the cable, the latch needed a really good cleaning and re-greasing and its fine now

R-Caddy
10-25-09, 11:16 PM
Well, I think that only works when the cable actually works

AHazzardToAll
10-26-09, 01:41 AM
it coulds like to me his cable always did work but the hood spring was adjusted too high. the latch won't give if the spring is putting pressure against the hood. just saying it's possible the cable hasn't broken or anything yet with the fact that it's always done that.

ronhol
03-02-14, 04:27 PM
No follow up on this topic?

Mine is not releasing when I pull the latch.
I just got the car from my ex and it worked fine for her for the past 2 years.

w98seeng
03-07-14, 12:06 PM
I have the same problem. I use a short bungee cord strapped from the hood release handle to the steering wheel, I go outside and open the hood.

I have lubed everything in the area around the hood release and tried to adjust the hood release spring, but no luck.

Ian