: Windows 7.. anyone have it yet?

Stingroo
10-24-09, 02:45 PM
Thoughts? Verdict?

I'm downloading it as we speak (legit copy). Wondering what everyone else feels about it.

Rodya234
10-24-09, 03:40 PM
I've had the RC for months now.

My opinion? It is everything Vista tried to be, and does everything Vista tried to do TIMES better. Best thing since XP.

Stingroo
10-24-09, 04:14 PM
Well I bought a legit student copy from them for $29.99. :)

2 weeks until the disks come and I can install it. I'm upgrading from 32 bit to 64, so I can't just do an upgrade, I have to do a clean install.

Or I could settle for 32 bit.. I don't really think I'd have a massive NEED for 64, just that I might want it to possibly increase the life of my PC over time (as in relevance to technology and such.) Both versions are the same price, so I figured what the hell, you know?

Cobrahunter
10-24-09, 04:53 PM
I've had the RC since it came out..... x64 7 works 98% of the time. rarely freezes. Hella better than xp or vista. the x64 version is compatible with pretty much every driver I haven't had a problem with anything like I did x64 xp. I'm gonna try to get ahold of a student version asap.

Stingroo
10-24-09, 04:58 PM
Do it man, it's $29.99 then $15.99 if you want a backup disc.

I decided what I'm going to do:

Since I ordered the discs, they send me 32 bit and 64. I'm going to install 32 for now (I called customer support and got the new download), because I can't download programs here at school really (restricted network SUCKS).

Then when I get home for Christmas break (which is 3 weeks long WOOT!), I'll do a clean install of 64 bit using the discs I'll have, and download all my things back at home.

Then possibly go for 8gb ram, just because I can. lol

V-Eight
10-24-09, 05:04 PM
Well I bought a legit student copy from them for $29.99. :)

2 weeks until the disks come and I can install it. I'm upgrading from 32 bit to 64, so I can't just do an upgrade, I have to do a clean install.

Or I could settle for 32 bit.. I don't really think I'd have a massive NEED for 64, just that I might want it to possibly increase the life of my PC over time (as in relevance to technology and such.) Both versions are the same price, so I figured what the hell, you know?

Where'd you score that student deal?

Stingroo
10-24-09, 05:06 PM
Some partnership my school has through Microsoft. It's distributed through Digital River.

V-Eight
10-24-09, 06:13 PM
Hm, that's awesome. I think my school has a partnership with Apple, so I guess I won't be scoring that deal lol. Oh well, at least I got a good price on my Macbook

Stingroo
10-24-09, 10:20 PM
Ew mac.

On another note: after a mistake on my part, the install itself took close to 4 hours. Insanity.

HOWEVER!

First impressions: this is incredible. It's fast, I can run the sidebar without lagging now.. the new taskbar is sexy (I can make it orange, you all know that = <3)

I can provide screenshots if anyone is interested.

Punmax
10-24-09, 10:51 PM
My free upgrade is on it's way from Dell. Been using RC on my desktop though. I love it 100x more than Xp/Vista

bierman.d
10-24-09, 11:26 PM
I don't have it, but I want it.
Maybe a new laptop while I'm at it. My current laptop is less than a year old but it's been annoying me lately.

Oh yeah, I'm hope 64bit 7 is better than 64bit Vista.. I absolutely hate it on Vista. Separate program files, incompatibility with drivers HP told me would work (I have a ton of sound issues since Windows Update automatically installs the wrong driver all the time), 32bit "compatible" programs freeze often... it just feels messy and unrefined. I'd rather have the 32bit.

Stingroo
10-24-09, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I won't be able to review the 64 bit version until Christmas time. It looks promising though. :)

Hmm.. I wonder if my old Age of Empires 3 will work on this, since in vista it had "compatibility" issues too, but 7 has that XP thing built in (technical terms elude me tonight, sorry)!

V-Eight
10-24-09, 11:37 PM
Ew mac.

That's what I used to say, but after Vista came out I said **** it. Besides, I can install Windows 7 on it anyway, so I'll put 7 on here if I can find a good deal.

Stingroo
10-25-09, 12:22 AM
I actually liked Vista. Everyone hated it, I had no problems with it at all. It ran well on all three of the computers in our house.

Though I will say, 7 is better.

Ranger
10-25-09, 12:45 AM
I have Vista, but I'm not computer savvy enough to know if it's good or not. Seems to work OK. I just do what JimmyH tells me to.:noidea:

bierman.d
10-25-09, 07:56 AM
I never had much problem with Vista either. It isn't what it should have been, but I found no reason to hate it.

It does take up a ton of memory, but 4gb of ram is like the norm these days.

Stingroo
10-25-09, 10:34 AM
Yeah, it definitely ate through memory like no tomorrow, but both of my computers have 4gb.

Then again, I think most of the hatred for Vista really stemmed from the early adapters who put it on a computer that was designed to run XP.

CIWS
10-25-09, 11:01 AM
If you are only running 4GB or less of RAM you do not need the 64 bit version of Windows. Over 4 GB then it can provide you some advantage. No reason to go to 64 bit if it doesn't give you some advantage to run because the 32 bit is better supported with software (most is 32 bit) and especially drivers.

I'm running Win7 64, but that's because I have 8 Gb in the boxes. (RAM is just too cheap not to these days)

Also there's some rumblings about the 32 bit student version install going on.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/windows-7-student-upgrade-installer-not-working-for-many/

"The Windows 7 launch seems to have gone off mostly roses and sunbeams, but we're hearing today that quite a few people have had issues installing the downloadable $29 student upgrade edition on 32-bit Vista -- apparently the file doesn't unpack to an ISO, but instead to an executable and two bundles that don't function properly, and eventually the process errors out with a 64-bit app trying to launch on 32-bit systems. It's possible to create an ISO using some hackery, but the install process seems to be 50/50 after that -- we've heard of both success and further crashes. For it's part, Microsoft says it's looking into things, so hopefully a newly repackaged download will be forthcoming -- every party has its ups and downs, right?"

Stingroo
10-25-09, 11:26 AM
Yeah, that is true.

But if you fork over the extra $14 to get the discs sent out, they send you 32 bit AND 64, so no worries about the ISOs. :)

And I agree on the RAM comment. How does your system feel with 8gb? I was looking to do 16, just because I'd like to keep the same computer for all 4 years of college.

EDIT: Wow, that's pretty sweet. But I can't run 64 bit yet because I don't have enough ways to back up all my data that would be wiped from a clean install. I'll wait for now. :D

Submariner409
10-25-09, 02:37 PM
Hmmmmm.........What determines the amount of RAM, in gb, that you can plug into a 5-year old 2-slot PC motherboard ???

Stingroo
10-25-09, 02:46 PM
I would assume 2gb. That's what my PC from back then had as a limit.

2gb ram will run 32bit Win7 just fine though. Add in the ready boost feature and you can put a 4gb flash drive into one of your rear USB ports that you don't use, and use that as 4gb memory as well.

CIWS
10-25-09, 09:32 PM
And I agree on the RAM comment. How does your system feel with 8gb? I was looking to do 16, just because I'd like to keep the same computer for all 4 years of college.

Unless you're doing something that really needs that much RAM, 8 GB should get you through 4 years without a problem.

Stingroo
10-25-09, 09:37 PM
Yeah. I figured, but I'm kind of toying with a Computer Science major. So I might do it just to be safe.

I have a tendency to spend extra money on seemingly extravagant things. <_<

the recluse
10-25-09, 09:41 PM
Hmmmmm.........What determines the amount of RAM, in gb, that you can plug into a 5-year old 2-slot PC motherboard ???

Crack the case and find the make and model number on the MB. Google said numbers and find the specs associated therewith. Not all ram fits all MB, so it's a matter of what particular type yours takes...

I do think 2gb is all though...

Submariner409
10-25-09, 10:16 PM
..............Mine came with an Ultra 512 mb PC2700 DDR 333mHz RAM and I have doubled that, so technically I have 1 gig on the board. If I get a deal on two 1 gig RAM boards, running XP SP3, would it be worth the trouble to go to 2 gig ??

gary88
10-25-09, 10:18 PM
You can never have too much RAM.

Stingroo
10-25-09, 10:27 PM
^ Truth.

And PC2700 is EXPENSIVE. If you find some cheap, PLEASE tell me. My sister has an older XP computer that takes it, and I want to fix it for her, but I can't see paying $30 for 512mb. It's insane.

the recluse
10-26-09, 01:03 AM
..............Mine came with an Ultra 512 mb PC2700 DDR 333mHz RAM and I have doubled that, so technically I have 1 gig on the board. If I get a deal on two 1 gig RAM boards, running XP SP3, would it be worth the trouble to go to 2 gig ??

If it came with a 512 stick, than you only have 512 mb, if it came in pairs you have 1 gb, it also depends on whether or not you have a dedicated video card or on board video which will also consume some of the RAM.

Follow what I said earlier and see what kind of MB it is...not all RAM is compatible with all MB, some glitch more than others.

Other than that, you can never have too much RAM...

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 07:49 AM
Sub, you have to know the limitations of the motherboard.
Even if you can physically plug RAM in the motherboard has to be able to read it and some have caps set well below today's standards.
Be sure to research it properly before investing in updating your RAM.
A lot of times if you have one slot full you can just drop one in the other, but if you have two sticks you'll have to replace them both with bigger.
Be sure to match all the specs.
Upping your RAM can really save you when it comes to performance issues on older PCs.
There are lots of different types of RAM out there so you have to know a little bit about what you are looking for.

My copy of 7 is in the mail. Because of when I built my PC I got the free upgrade deal and registered it.
I got a confirmation email the other day.

I am only concerned about a couple of things that I saw somewhere.
One place said that 7 comes without windows mail. Not that I like it but I do have a lot of stuff in there so if I get a Microsoft substitute that's cool. I have other applications to handle email but I have like 80 rules set up in my current version of Windows Mail to sort and handle my email.
They also said I lose the picture viewer but it sucks anyway.

As long as it doesn't eff up my games or my media center I will be happy.
I like the preview things I have seen otherwise.

CIWS
10-26-09, 08:19 AM
Win 7 has no native Pop Mail client anymore (Outlook express). What are you using for it right now ewill ?

Stingroo
10-26-09, 08:28 AM
I'm 99% sure that Windows Mail is still an option, you just have to download it yourself.

I may be wrong, I'll look into it as I explore this a bit more.

Edit: Yeah, I was right.

http://download.live.com/

But you're probably most interested in just this:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Submariner409
10-26-09, 09:00 AM
Stingroo, I have a 512 mb PC2700 DDR 333 stick which came out of a practically new PC a couple of years ago. PM me and it's yours for nuttin'.

Bill, I installed two Ultra 512 sticks a couple of years ago and all's well. Was just musing on the possible advantage of going to two 1G sticks.

Stingroo
10-26-09, 09:12 AM
PM sent. Thanks again. :)

If you can get the model of your mobo, post it here. I would GUESS that it can handle 2gb, but you never know.

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 09:14 AM
My newest machine has Vista Home Premium on it with a windows 7 upgrade in the mail.
I am using windows mail.
So since I already have windows mail you think it will just leave it alone?
I have office 2003 so I have outlook as a backup, I just hate to lose all that work I did setting up my mail filters.

Sub, as I said it just depends on the mobo... you have a store bought system?
You can usually punch in your product ID number and see what the max is you can put in.
Personally I get as much as I can, I think this one at work might have more room but I am not sure it is worth maxing out.
I have a new motherboard and I need to build another 775 system but I don't have the funds right now, things are tight and the holidays are coming.

Submariner409
10-26-09, 09:34 AM
When all else fails, read the directions.............:helpless:

My generic PC tower can handle 2G. BUT I'm not a gamer or mad number cruncher - the PC is pretty much used for personal files, WebMail and some Excel spreadsheet stuff and maybe a few Microsoft Picture Editor jobs, so it's not like I need a Cray from NASA or anything close...............

CIWS
10-26-09, 09:39 AM
I'm 99% sure that Windows Mail is still an option, you just have to download it yourself.

I may be wrong, I'll look into it as I explore this a bit more.

Edit: Yeah, I was right.

http://download.live.com/

But you're probably most interested in just this:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

This appears to be part of their online LIVE web based applications. Not a traditional POP mail client.

Stingroo
10-26-09, 09:41 AM
Ah. I don't know, I haven't used anything other than webmail for at least 6 years. lol

CIWS
10-26-09, 09:42 AM
My newest machine has Vista Home Premium on it with a windows 7 upgrade in the mail.
I am using windows mail.
So since I already have windows mail you think it will just leave it alone?
I have office 2003 so I have outlook as a backup, I just hate to lose all that work I did setting up my mail filters.

Of the several POP mail clients I've tried like Eudora and Thunderbird (Mozilla's) none of them will import from the file format of Windows Mail export, except of course Outlook. The others are looking for them in the Outlook Express format, which they import just fine.

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 11:50 AM
I have literally thousands of emails, I keep and file all of them.
I should probably stop. I have emails from 4 computers ago that I keep importing into my new machines.
I do refer back to them every once in a while but my computers do get mad at the sheer quantity of the crap I have stored.
I could probably find emails that date back to the nineties easily. :lol:

I am not really worried about it but... I was just curious as to whether or not anyone thought that my 7 upgrade will nuke a program that I am using or if it will accept it. I mean the upgrade works like an upgrade right? It keeps all my programs and settings but it just changes the OS to a presumeably "better" version? :lol:

CIWS
10-26-09, 12:36 PM
Just make sure anything important is backed up in case the upgrade turns into a reinstall. :yup:

Stingroo
10-26-09, 12:48 PM
When I did my upgrade EVERYTHING I had was completely transferred. All my settings were saved too, so just go check the windows compatibility for your mail before you do it.

If all else fails, back them up anyway. You never know.

EDIT: I too save all my emails. I have almost 250 pages of email in Hotmail. (Spam of course deleted).

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 01:01 PM
I currenty use like 6 pop accounts for email.
I delete some stuff like mass mailings and I have filters in place for genuine spam but on this computer I have stuff dating back to 2004, I know even farther back on my other one. I can back it up if it gives me an option but the issue I had with windows mail is the formats. It was a hard core PITA to move all the stuff I had in outlook to windows mail on my new computer off my old one but I got it done, made all my new rules etc.
I just don't want to mess with backing it up if I can't re-import it. BUT if it works like an upgrade should maybe it will leave it alone since it is already installed?
I hope so.
I am looking forward to my upgrade.
A reinstall would cause me to blow a gasket, I just got to level 25 on HAWX... :lol:

I only use webmail when I travel, all my stuff is stored locally with copies at work for most of my accounts.

CIWS
10-26-09, 02:12 PM
Backing up your information is always a good idea. However it is certainly recommended when doing something like an OS upgrade. Things can go wrong and the upgrade can fail causing one to attempt a repair or just reinstalling the OS. If all goes well then it's no big deal and you have a current backup of the important stuff.

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I am horrible at backups although I do burn all my photographs onto DVD annually and make copies to distribute to my family.
I have 7 computers at home on my network, I can fire up my old one and do some backups. I like taking risks though :lol:

I used to use a tape machine to do backups but I have found over the years that keeping all my data in 3 or 4 folders with lots of sub folders makes things pretty easy.

CIWS
10-26-09, 07:10 PM
I mainly keep my individual files backed up - documents, pictures, whatever. If something goes wrong I can just reinstall from scratch and put my apps back in. A good sized thumb drive or a external hard disk will hold most folks stuff. :)

ewill3rd
10-26-09, 10:31 PM
Not mine... :lol:

Hey lookey here... my disc came today!
No way I am doing this before the weekend though... :lol:

Submariner409
10-27-09, 09:56 AM
Between the rotten electrical power delivery here on the Shore (DelMarVa Power) and paranoia over possible computer dumps, I use an 8G thumb drive to back up "My Files" twice a month. Everything (personal) we have on the PC fits, and it takes about 14 minutes to transfer it all. Cheap insurance. If we go to Karen's daughter's place in Norfolk for a weekend, instead of lugging this laptop and case I just load files onto another flash drive and use one of their laptops there..........with 3 in college and two technofreak parents the place is computer city.

CIWS
10-27-09, 10:29 AM
^^ You're smart, most folks do not take the time to back the important stuff up and then when the system mucks up or the drive crashes they start screaming bloody murder.

I'm on the other end of the scale and keep my important files on multiple HDs and flash drives.

Submariner409
10-27-09, 12:47 PM
I learned a couple of years back - east of here they were installing a bunch of new transmission towers and upgrading the power lines so we had a few weeks of spikes and failures. I got 2 pretty big backup power supplies/surge protector/line filter units from Tiger Direct so all the PC equipment is on backup. I can run for 25 minutes on a total power outage which gives me plenty of time to backup and shut down.

Also discovered that places like Battery Warehouse and automotive electrical shops carry the 12V 7.5Ah backup power supply batteries in several configurations and they're a lot cheaper than online + shipping.

codewize
11-04-09, 10:29 AM
As a Microsoft Partner we have access to all the stuff.

Having said that, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my current workstation, on a different hard drive of course.

The box is an older Pentium D 3.4 GHz with 4 Gigs of RAM.

I have to agree with the previous statement. It's everything Vista tried to be 100 x better.

I'm not using it in production yet, only testing at this point but it does look very promising.

In this day and age there is no point in buying a 32 bit OS. If you do you'll be sorry in the next year or so.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 11:10 AM
Really? Why is that? I never really fully understood what the difference was, other than 64bit can recognize more RAM, and I guess they look smoother or something like that.

codewize
11-04-09, 11:27 AM
It's not a look thing. It about 64 bit paths to the system rather than 32. It's about twice the processing power, it's about being able to utilize more than 2 cores in a processor.

Most modern day processors support 64 bit computing. Hyper Threading doesn't count. That's fake 64 bit.

Mac has been 64bit for years, Linux has supported 64 bit forever, Windows is finally releasing mainstream 64 bit OS's. 32 bit desktops will be a thing of the past in a year or so. There's no point and there's no need.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 11:44 AM
So then how (in a nutshell) does a 64 bit OS make the computer's processing power better?

Say for my current application:

I have a Dell Studio 1536 with an AMD Turion X2 64 bit 2.0GHz
4gb RAM
And an ATI Raedon 4536 (I believe) on-board video card.

How different will my computer be after I go 64 bit?

(If I'm completely wrong in my understanding of this, by all means tell me. I'm curious more than anything)

codewize
11-04-09, 12:09 PM
OK well I'll use an analogy that I can relate to right now.

You have a true 64 bit CPU and 4 GB of RAM. First off let's start with the fact that the memory limit for 32 bit Windows is 3.5 GB so you have 512 megs of RAM that will never get used.

On the OS to CPU itself think of it this way. A 64 bit OS is designed to use both cores, or more, efficiently. Running a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system is a lot like having one side of your nose plugged while you're trying to work. Or having to drive to work on a 4 lane hi-way with 2 lanes closed.

It's about the number of paths to and from the CPU that the OS knows how to use.

More paths or lanes to the CPU means more gets done faster. Do you understand DDR2 and DDR3 ? Dual and triple channel RAM? Same idea.

CIWS
11-04-09, 12:23 PM
If you're running mainly 32 bit applications (most normal ones are) and are on a PC with 4GB of RAM or less, a 64 bit version of windows will serve you no real purpose, and could possibly run some apps slower than the 32 bit version.

Wait until you upgrade your machine and/or the apps you run to go to a 64 bit OS.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 12:27 PM
Ah, so that makes sense to me.

Currently, I don't really do too much with the laptop other than communicate, but yeah.

Even if I don't ever go to 64 bit, on to the original topic of this thread, going from Vista to 7 is like a night-and-day performance increase. lol

CIWS
11-04-09, 12:35 PM
Most everyone will be on 64 bit within a few years, we just need to let the market catch up, and it's slowly doing it. RAM is pretty damn cheap again so it's not hard to populate a box with more than 4GB now days, if the platform will accept it. I've stayed with a 32 bit OS until now with the release of Win7 where I've gone to 64 bit to take advantage of the additional RAM and a few programs out there that can utilize the 64 bit OS.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 12:37 PM
Like what programs, if you don't mind me asking?

Mostly what I use is like, Office '07, Adobe Photoshop CS3 (CS4 update was/is waaay too expensive lol), Ventrilo (game chat), and two games; (Age of Empires III w/both expansions, GTA San Andreas).

The rest is internet, IM, etc.

CIWS
11-04-09, 12:59 PM
Firefox and Thunderbird, Mediacoder (audio), Adobe Audition 3. for now. I also have Adobe Premiere Pro, but it's not the CS4 version that does utilize 64 bit (that's CS4). However I'm told CS5 will be out the first part of next year and I may upgrade to it then. :) (I'm running 8GB of RAM in the box)

codewize
11-04-09, 01:09 PM
CS3 will use 64 bit and as much RAM as you can throw at it. CS4 is even more well refined for real 64 bit. I believe all of the new Office apps are 64 bit as well. Photoshop all the way back to MX was multi processor aware.

Almost all new versions of games will definitely be 64 bit. but for me the production apps like CS3 is the nail in the coffin so to speak.

Again, with Photoshop or any of the Adobe apps, the more RAM you have, the better off you are, so that in and of itself is a fine reason to move to a 64 bit OS.

The industry will take a while to catch up but I'm telling you within the next 12 months 32 bit on the desktop will be all but unheard of.

Stingroo
11-04-09, 03:25 PM
Hmm... that sounds good to me, because I use Photoshop frequently when browsing/making presentations and occasionally it can get bogged down, but not often.

How would I find out what the max amount of RAM my computer can run? Just so I can have a frame of reference to know what to grab.

CIWS
11-04-09, 03:54 PM
How would I find out what the max amount of RAM my computer can run? Just so I can have a frame of reference to know what to grab.

It should be in your Quick Reference guide for the laptop. My first guess would be you max out at 4 Gig. Most laptops have two slots for RAM, and I'm betting the machine will only see 2GB maximum per SODIMM so that would max at 4GB.