: How honest are you?

creeker
10-23-09, 04:49 PM
I just sold my very nice 92 sdv., I suspected it was having fuel pump problems,so I sold it at quite a loss,it did not always start up right away,
although it started fine when the buyer came to look at it, I told him it could possibly have fuel pump problems,so I knocked $400.00 off the price.
So back to my original question,could you knowingly sell a car to someone
without disclosing a serious problem?,
Have you ever been out and out shafted?.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-23-09, 04:51 PM
I have always been 100% honest with buyers when I sell my cars. The guy I bought the Lincoln off of tried to shaft me a bit but I would have none of it. I called him out on the bad ball joint and a few other problems that he failed to disclose to me and knocked quite a bit off the purchase price.

V-Eight
10-23-09, 04:57 PM
Well, when we were trading in out van for our current van, the brakes failed on the day or 2 before we got it. We had to use the e-brake at all the stops on the way there lol. We told the dealer he might want to check the brakes :lildevil:

Stingroo
10-23-09, 05:11 PM
To a private seller? No.

If trading a car in to a dealer? You bet your ass.

V-Eight
10-23-09, 05:21 PM
^ well said

Jonas McFeely
10-23-09, 05:47 PM
I was in a bind a back in '06 and sold my 300ZX to a woman with a bad radiator. It didnt start to get hot for about 30 minutes, so you'd never know in a test drive. She even brought a mechanic and he said it was fine.

Ehh. I still feel like an ass about it. But i did see it driving around after that and talked to her son whom she bought it for. He loved it and never mentioned that it had a problem. :suspense:

Submariner409
10-23-09, 05:51 PM
It is unconscionable that a car fanatic and wrencher would knowingly sell a vehicle with problems unless the disclosure was part of the deal.

The Tony Show
10-23-09, 05:55 PM
To a private seller? No.

^ well said

And I'm sure both of you would be the first to just take it on the chin if a Dealer failed to disclose a problem on a used car they sold you, right? :rolleyes:

Stingroo
10-23-09, 05:56 PM
Of course not, but I'd be the first person to have a used car INSPECTED if I bought it from a dealer.. ANY dealer. ;) And therein lies the difference.

Rolex
10-23-09, 06:15 PM
I always disclose any and all idiosyncrasies on a vehicle that I'm selling. Private buyer, trading to a dealer, all the same to me.

eta: generally speaking though, all the vehicles I've sold are in a good state of repair.

Jesda
10-23-09, 07:11 PM
I sell to individuals and disclose absolutely everything I possibly know. Of course it DOESNT MEAN PEOPLE WONT COMPLAIN ANYWAY. :/

bierman.d
10-23-09, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't regret being honest. I live in a relatively small town so being dishonest could ruin you.

orconn
10-23-09, 07:26 PM
Normally I sell my cars to friends or private parties. The cars are, to my knowledge in tip top condition so I feel confident that the buyer is getting what I have told him to be true about the car. I have never had anyone disapointed intheir purchase.

When I sold the Audi 5000S Avant, which was a very high maintenance car (if it had been an American car we would have said it wasa "lemon"). When I sold it to a business acquaitance of mine I told him that I was basically giving him the car and what he was paying was just to reimburse me for ($4000.00) what I had spent on repairs during the past year. The fellow a real car enthusiast said he was aware of the car's reputation but really had to have an Audi 5000S Avant in the worse way. Well, 6 most later the car startied leaking from a bunch of engine and trans gaskets and would have cost way more that it was worth to repair (it was seven years old) and ended up being sold for parts. I told him the truth, as I knew it, up front and when the car turned out to be a disaster I felt he was well fore warned.

Many of the cars that I sold with 40 to 60,000 miles on them went on to see the 200,000 mile mark on their odometers!

FastCTS
10-23-09, 09:29 PM
Dealer No
Private Party Yes

77CDV
10-23-09, 11:26 PM
I always tell prospective buyers of any car I sell about any known issues or defects. I've only traded a car to a dealer once, and as far as I knew, it was in good condition. However, dealers have professional inspectors on site and are (or are assumed to be) experts in assessing a car's physical and mechanical condition and valuing it appropriately. If a dealer cannot do that, or retain personnel that can, perhaps he ought to rethink his vocation.

csbuckn
10-24-09, 12:06 AM
I dont hide anything. If the drivetrain is good, I usually dont take money off any little stuff found during a sell. But I usually flip cars in the 500 to 1K area so having a running car for 500 is love. When I buy cars, I usually go with my own judgement as most good mechanics(I only claim to be good) do too. Listening to desperate sellers during tough economic times will have you on the internet looking up "no lemon laws" in no time.

dkozloski
10-24-09, 04:46 PM
I won't go out of my way to doctor up a bad car to sneak it by a pigeon but anything else that's ordinary wear and tear they can find it for themselves. If it was good enough for me to drive it's good enough for them to drive.

Kev
10-24-09, 10:31 PM
I was in a bind a back in '06 and sold my 300ZX to a woman with a bad radiator. It didnt start to get hot for about 30 minutes, so you'd never know in a test drive. She even brought a mechanic and he said it was fine.

Ehh. I still feel like an ass about it. But i did see it driving around after that and talked to her son whom she bought it for. He loved it and never mentioned that it had a problem. :suspense:I knew a woman with a bad radiator once .......

.... but I digress .....

I try to include full disclosure when selling my cars because I would like the same respect and consideration shown me.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
10-25-09, 04:30 AM
To a private seller? No.

Agreed 100%.

Dealers never seem to disclose any problems with the cars they're selling, plus they offer you a pittance anyway, so yes, I'd unload a problematic car on a dealer.

I would not sell a car privately without disclosing the stuff that isn't working or has problems. But I would then refuse to knock off any money as the price advertised was with said problems disclosed...

:highfive:

billc83
10-26-09, 12:37 PM
When I sold off my Thunderbird, I really bent over backwards for the buyer (a co-worker in desperate need of a car). I disclosed everything (most of which was cosmetic), and gave him a full walkaround to show him every quirk and blemish I knew of. Still running to this day.

When I bought my Allante, the seller was very honest about things wrong with the car. He disclosed an intermittent error code even though it didn't pop up during the test drive and that the battery would need replacement soon. Right before I handed over the cash, we walked around the car and he showed me everything. It was obvious that the car had been well cared for, and I felt confident in the purchase.

I've been lucky to have not been burned in a car purchase. I hope to pay it forward.