: Can tunes be played from a *mass storage* device?

Gary Wells
10-23-09, 08:47 AM
Can I play tunes & *CD's* direct from a *mass storage* device or a thumb drive or do I have to download it onto the HDD to play the?
Our cars are a single disc CD player, correct?

lavaman
10-23-09, 09:33 AM
Gary,

You can play directly from a thumb/flash drive or an Ipod/Iphone if you wish. No loading of the HDD necessary. The audio system will display an organized menu of your music on the screen. There are some music formats that are unacceptable though.

Yes, we have a single disc CD player.

V-Eight
10-23-09, 09:38 AM
^ You could make a music DVD though, no?

lavaman
10-23-09, 10:04 AM
^ You could make a music DVD though, no?

Yes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We have a single disc CD/DVD player. DVD's can also be used to compile your music library. BTW, DVD's recorded in Dolby, DTS ... 5.1 surround sound are wonderful through the audio.

HTH Doug

Gary Wells
10-23-09, 02:27 PM
Thanks, Lavaman, for the info. I am new at the tunes thing, and I am not too keen on the HDD, but if the system will recognize and play from a MSD, then I don't see any real value for me of downloading to the HDD. Care to mention a brand name of one of the better ones that works, I notice that some of them do not work. Some do. TIA/R:

lavaman
10-23-09, 03:19 PM
I use an 8gb Scandisk flash drive. Don't know if it is better than any other but it works fine for me. You are right, all that's necessary is to plug in to the USB port. It will work just like the HDD.

It is important to make sure that when you place music files on the flash that you have them in a format that is recognized by the audio system. You'll find a list of formats in the manual. I first tried to use the default format Itunes uses... Did not work. What ever the format was, it was unacceptable in the car.

Doug

Razorecko
10-23-09, 04:14 PM
I just use a generic mp3 file format. Thats how i just play my music off an 8gb storage device. Sooooo much easier than messing around w/ cd's/dvd's/etc

Gary Wells
10-23-09, 06:59 PM
Oops, my bad, I am on a Apple which is an "Itune" format, I believe. And I do not know how to change formats. What's my best and easiest solution here. I had planned on just copying music from my CD's onto my Apple and then copying to a *storage device*? Now what?

GMX322V S/C
10-23-09, 08:26 PM
In iTunes preferences, look for "Import Settings" (or something similar). Select a format compatible with our audio system, such as MP3. Now right (or command)-click a file in your library and select "convert to MP3" (or something similar).

Gary Wells
10-23-09, 09:12 PM
OK, thanks, everybody for all of the great info, that should get me started.

lavaman
10-24-09, 08:58 AM
Oops, my bad, I am on a Apple which is an "Itune" format, I believe. And I do not know how to change formats. What's my best and easiest solution here. I had planned on just copying music from my CD's onto my Apple and then copying to a *storage device*? Now what?

Prior to importing, If you can, set up your Itunes to import your CD files to one of the acceptable formats. If you import first and then convert you will spend a lot more time at it because when Itunes converts it leaves both old and new formats in the library. You'll then need to delete out the Itunes formated files (songs)

Doug

Gary Wells
10-27-09, 09:19 PM
I wish to thank everybody who contributed their knowledge & experience on this thread. I at least know in which direction I am heading now. Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum. Does anybody know if the thumb drives made by "PNY" work in this application. Darn Kingston thumb drives are hard to find for sale without going on line.

V-Eight
10-30-09, 01:28 PM
^ Hm, I got my 4gb Kingston for $20. Check Best Buy, they usually have sales on thumb drives