: Parts for our V are SCARCE!!

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-22-09, 09:01 PM
I hit an interstate alligator the other day and luckily it went under the front fascia without a problem. BUT it was tumbling (how it missed the fascia I have no idea), once it got under the car, it destroyed the plastic pans underneath. I didn't know how bad because it had no immediate pieces flying from under the car. 5 minutes later all hell broke loose and plastic pieces were flying out from under the car all over the place.. Then a GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR coming from the front passenger tire. I pull over to the emergency lane, get out and find my wheel well liner hanging outside the wheel well grinding on the tire. The center engine liner hanging on the ground. So I start pulling pieces out from under the car. Leaving a pile of trash on the side of the road, I get in and leave for home. I call Luke and Lindsay and ordered the center piece, wheel well liner and connector piece that holds the break duct and the other two pieces in place. I get a call from Luke today saying GM doesn't have them in stock and has no idea as to when they will.:nono: Looks like our parts are drying up and GM isn't going to buy new ones any time soon.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR V.... You may not get replacement parts.

leija_01
10-22-09, 10:12 PM
thats funny, i had a similar incident happen... road debris ripped mine out... waited like 3 months for mine to come in, just picked them up like 2 weeks ago... i thought the dealerships were bs'n me so i ordered them from 2 different dealers... they both had them lol....

dan, email me and i'll see if the other dealer still has those liners for you!

Redxped1
10-22-09, 11:07 PM
took 3 months to get the seat bottoms in black for mine no gm dealer or parts ware house had them

ewill3rd
10-23-09, 08:50 AM
Actually a good percentage of any parts are hard to find these days.
The bankruptcy really wreaked havoc on our parts distribution network and suppliers.
I hear stories like this every day almost.

CIWS
10-23-09, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the Gator encounter Dan. Some of the most dangerous stuff on the road.

Honestly a big reason I won't keep this car. (that and very few seem to know how to work on it). Since I'm a daily driver and not a garage queen, I need it on the road and not awaiting parts. Plus it will only get worse as time goes on.

Florian
10-23-09, 11:51 AM
Just waiting on the Vcoupe....then Im gonzo.

F

leija_01
10-23-09, 12:22 PM

F

Werd.

CIWS
10-23-09, 02:48 PM

F

It's on the short list :yup:

Florian
10-23-09, 07:38 PM
Oh? What else are you considering?

F

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-23-09, 08:28 PM
Me. Considering a V coupe or Z 06

55cadillacking
10-23-09, 11:10 PM
Somewhat sorry to say I sold my V tonight. Got what I paid for it in the States back in July '08. The warranty is up in March and the lack of expertise, knowledge, and parts is something I won't miss. I will miss the car though. Just got the custom license plate too. But, I had a blast. Signing off...

Rick from Calgary, CAN

PGA2B
10-24-09, 09:47 AM
I am waiting on a new ECM. They tried to do the TSB for hard shifts and the computer would not take a reflash. I am also waiting on the lumbar support cable for the passenger seat.

CIWS
10-26-09, 07:15 AM
Oh? What else are you considering?

F

Going to wait and see the final details of the M56 and find out what they mean by "in excess of 400HP" A GT-R , but maintenance costs on it is a concern. A Z06 , but the Corvette just begs to get a ticket.The SLK AMG is getting redesigned for next year as well, but until I know it's details it's a wait and see.

Then of course there's the Volt ;)

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-26-09, 08:29 AM
Volt at 250 MPG???? sounds like the Gov't is being awfully blind to his fuzzy math..

Per GM
"When gasoline is providing the power, the Volt might get as much as 50 mpg. But that mpg figure would not take into account that the car has already gone 40 miles with no gas at all.
So let's say the car is driven 50 miles in a day. For the first 40 miles, no gas is used and during the last 10 miles, 0.2 gallons are used. That's the equivalent of 250 miles per gallon. But, if the driver continues on to 80 miles, total fuel economy would drop to about 100 mpg. And if the driver goes 300 miles, the fuel economy would be just 62.5 mpg. "

What about the Gas/coal/Nuc power used to charge the batteries?? Is that going to be FREE?? and you better not drive over 50 miles on a silgle charge or gas milage is severly reduced every mile you go. On a 500 mile trip (on a single charge) ATl to Orlando. You would get 18.. Hmm My 6.0 Denali gets that on the same 500 mile trip. and no electricity bill to add on to it.

The funny MPG math raises a lot of red flags for me.

bobs-sts-v
10-26-09, 11:57 AM
Dan,
I think you misconstrued the math a bit yourself. They claim that the fuel-only scenario will result in 40-50mpg. MPG should never drop below that, regardless of how many miles you drive. So still a fuel-sipper compared to your Denali or our Vs. With the local, in-town driving where you can "charge up" overnight, the gas engine may never run. Either way, I am more about PERFORMANCE than MPG, as I believe most of us here are. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Roll on Mr. Spaceman
10-28-09, 01:03 AM
Can't find parts, no one knows how to work on them....
Whoa, I am looking to buy one and reading this through me a little.
I keep reading about Lindsey Cadillac. Are they capable to work on them?
Parts being scarce are a worry.

On a side note; I like the look of the STS-V so much. What other cars are similar that you guys like (besides the CTS obviously)

Thanks

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-28-09, 01:10 AM
We bitch about parts and service but we still love em. Major drivetrain parts are in stock or can be had from GM. Little piddly shit, plastic pieces here and there, seat bottoms etc. take a little longer to get. I personaly have never had any problem getting mine serviced. Like any other limited production car, you have to go to a good dealer. Hell My S2000 was always getting serviced wrong because ALL Honda techs were trained on front drive cars. A rear drive car was like from another planet to them. They were known for putting gear oil in the Diff. So I wouldn't hold it against the STS-V that some dealers in the country have trouble working on a blower. Besides it was the first blown engine for cadduy in recent years. Now the new CTS-V has a blower and tech all over should be coming up to speed much quicker.

CIWS
10-28-09, 08:24 AM
Whoa, I am looking to buy one and reading this through me a little.
I keep reading about Lindsey Cadillac. Are they capable to work on them?
Parts being scarce are a worry.

Yeah Lindsay is one of the few dealerships that understand the Vs and have some decent experience with them. They even host some V related events. Unfortunately for me I'm not taking my cart 1100 miles for service. :)

PGA2B
10-29-09, 10:00 AM
Well Superior here in KC called yesterday and my Computer and Lumbar support cable came in. So she will go back to the shop tomorrow.

Kadonny
10-29-09, 11:24 AM
Excuse me if I'm ignorant, but did you hit a real gator?

CIWS
10-29-09, 01:03 PM
Excuse me if I'm ignorant, but did you hit a real gator?

Gator is a road term for a piece of shredded tire, usually from 18 wheeler retreads. :)

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-29-09, 03:08 PM
^^^ What he said. retreads laying on the road resemble an alligators back so they call them interstate alligators

Kadonny
10-29-09, 03:47 PM
Wow, I actually never heard that before. Forgive me, just an ignorant northerner here.

bobs-sts-v
10-29-09, 05:03 PM
He is actually lucky he only rolled over it. You don't want to be behind one of those big rigs when it flies off the tire at 65mph. You are in for a very bad day if that happens.

Bob

silverws6ta
10-30-09, 08:27 AM
He is actually lucky he only rolled over it. You don't want to be behind one of those big rigs when it flies off the tire at 65mph. You are in for a very bad day if that happens.

Bob

Retreads/Regrooveable tires should be banned by the DOT simply for this reason -- then again I always think that rigs should always be restricted to the right lane along with those tree hugger 6 volt cars... :duck:

PGA2B
10-30-09, 12:02 PM
Retreads/Regrooveable tires should be banned by the DOT simply for this reason

AMEN!!

I had one hit me back when I had my 88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. Took off my front ground effects:mad:

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-29-09, 06:04 PM
Parts came in about two weeks ago thanks to Luke at Lindsay...

Put them on today... All 3 pieces, fender liner, break duct/fender liner, and center engine piece. After spending 30 minutes figuring out how the oragami pices interlace, I got them all installed. Not too bad of a job..

Side note...

For sub 120mph runs I don't think you need the engine liner underneath. My car ran cooler without it. About 1 line on the guage cooler. I assume all that plastic is to keep water and dirt from coming up into the engine bay and for higher speed (+120) runs..

I would say for those going to the drag strip needing cooler engine temps its pretty easy to remove. For those in Germany doing top end runs you might want to leave it on.