: Tire Advise

bobz74
10-22-09, 11:35 AM
Well it seems that I will be putting my first set of tires on my V. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the following tires: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.

I'm fully aware that these are not top of the line tires for our top of the line cars, however after reading reviews and riding on the current "Run-Craps", I feel they will be an upgrade. Also they can be had for $700 to our doors plus $50 rebate, so that will be less $$$ per :burn:

Please don't flame me I'm aware i'm being CHEAP here but I'm just looking for general tire, not for any track use just want something to work OK and be MORE QUIET then those damn Run-Craps (its almost embrassing with people in the car)

To date I believe these are the least expensive tire options for our cars..

Here are some links:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110

Florian
10-22-09, 12:37 PM
all reviews are low mileage in cars that weigh less....Id be worried about noise and cornering.

F

cadillac94pimpin
10-22-09, 01:00 PM
I just bought 2 of those hankooks for the backs but havent put them on yet though.
They got great reviews on some site I forgot which one.
I need to buy the two fronts so I can take advantage of that rebate. I currently have run craps in the front and I came across a free used set of Bridgestone RE050's 285/35/19 for the rear Those seem to be pretty good but there pretty expensive new and I heard they dont last long. If I had the money I would really like to try the
mich a/s plus or bridgestone turenza serenity.

My friend works for a Firestone and said the serenitys are amazing.

Indyblue98
10-22-09, 04:08 PM
First 2 reviews sounded pretty good.... but then #3:suspense:

Hankooks, installed them and scared the -------- out of me!!!!! When I drove on highway I noticed a little squirly going on but we left for 5k mile trip the next day and really got to doing some highway miles and found out how bad they are when you only put on 2 tires!REALLY BAD! All over the road, let me repeat, all over the road. :eek:

jwall09
10-22-09, 04:53 PM
Bob,
I had hankooks on my V1, and i got terrible traction. I would say that getting a lower end tire will cause you to drive you car differently, which will take the fun out of owning a V. Just my 2c. I have read the YokS4 (?) are really good A/S tires and not overwhelmingly expensive. I did just put Mich PS A/S on the rear of my STSV and have to say i am very impressed, now i cant wait for the fronts (Goodyear F1 A/S) to wear out so i can replace those noisy ass things with the Mich PS A/S.

bobs-sts-v
10-22-09, 06:23 PM
I have the Yokohama Advan S4 on as my winter tire, and I am very impressed with them. I live in Chicago, where the winters (and potholes) are about as bad as it gets anywhere. Haven't gotten stuck once since putting them on. Summer tires are the GY GS-D3s, which I am NOT happy with. :annoyed: Fronts are worn out after 17K, while the rears seem OK. But the NOISE is terrible. If you are looking for AS tires, Yokos are reasonably priced.

Bob

Florian
10-23-09, 12:49 PM
Oh, and dont get the Falken 452s....noisy as hell after 10K

F

Kadonny
10-29-09, 12:20 PM
I had the GSD3s and I'll second that they were horrible. Traction was poor and the noise at 8k miles was horrid.

CIWS
10-29-09, 02:06 PM
The F1 all seasons and the GSD3s had a very similar tread pattern, which makes me wonder if that's part of the noise issue once they have some wear.

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-29-09, 04:06 PM
T-1R's are still quiet after 10k but you do have to size down to get them. Next up to the plate are the Bridgestone RE050's in stock sizes for me

Kadonny
10-29-09, 04:53 PM
The F1 all seasons and the GSD3s had a very similar tread pattern, which makes me wonder if that's part of the noise issue once they have some wear.

I replaced my GSD3s with the F1 all seasons right before I traded the car and I remember the tread patterns being significantly different. There are no other tires tread patterns like those GSD3s. Yeah, the F1's sort of V towards the center a bit, but nothing like the GSD3s.

CIWS
10-29-09, 06:57 PM
Max Summer Performance version

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg

All Season version

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eaglef1_as_ci1_l.jpg

06stsv
10-29-09, 09:07 PM
hey guys just picked up some Bridgestone Pontenza RE050A, they are sick! really sticky and great traction!

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-30-09, 01:27 PM
^^^ Thats my next tire

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-30-09, 05:42 PM
new stock tire option... All season light snow tires..
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position Sizes & PricingSurvey Reviews Tests SpecsWarranty
( = RECENTLY UPDATED )

Lea esta página en español

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II Technology is the Ultra High Performance All-Season member of Bridgestone’s Potenza family of performance tires for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans. The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is designed to provide year-round driving flexibility by offering predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow.

The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position features Bridgestone’s UNI-T AQII Technology, which uses advanced compound and construction features to enhance and preserve wet traction through the tire’s life. It molds a dual-layer, all-season tread compound into a directional design to provide stability on dry roads while its grooves help pump water and slush through the tire's footprint to increase hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction. Scalloped multi-edge lateral grooves on the leading edge of each tread block and multiple sipes in each tread block increase the number of biting edges to enhance wet road and light snow traction. The tire's structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon, along with a carcass reinforced by a hard sidewall filler between polyester cord plies to help resist distortion at high speeds and while cornering.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
for 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Front: 255/45R18
Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 99W
UTQG: Treadwear: 400
Traction: AA
Temperature: A400 AA A
Price: $216.00 (each)
Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $25.92 per tire
Front:
Rear:: 275/40R19
Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 101W
UTQG: Treadwear: 400
Traction: AA
Temperature: A400 AA A
Price: $287.00 (each)
Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $34.44 per tire

Rear:

I tell everyone about the great prices, great service and how I wish I knew about you sooner. -- Thomas, PA

Click small images below to view larger.

Most approx. photo shown above. Explain
NOTE: Tread patterns must often be tuned to accommodate different tire widths. While tires shipped will match your order's specifications, photos used only represent typical sizes.

Close

CIWS
12-01-09, 08:58 AM
new stock tire option... All season light snow tires..
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position Sizes & PricingSurvey Reviews Tests SpecsWarranty
( = RECENTLY UPDATED )

Always nice to see other options for our cars. Although I hope I'm already running the last set of tires I will buy for this one.

johnb21
12-04-09, 07:49 PM
I need tires too....I can never figure out to do when it comes to our cars. My HTR Z 3's lasted about 6k in the rear. They are beyond the wearbars in the inside of the traction patch and to the bars on the corners. Camber is a bit agressive in all corners. But, no fear, Dan is going to send me his alignment specs, one of these years. Haha.
Well, I can't drive it much up here in Boston soon, so I will probably hang her up and buy tires in the spring.
I can't knock the HTR's...decent traction. I would prefer more, but would end up with less mileage and spend more money. Not sure what to do for next year. I will watch the sales, since I can not afford the nice high stuff (Bridgestone) like my buddy Dan....;)
BTW - I still have plenty of tread on the front tires. Maybe 40% wear. I know if put newbies on the back, it will push like a pig. The car actually has balanced handling right now, since the rears are shot.
Dan, let's catch up soon and Happy Holidays.

LAC_STS
12-04-09, 09:31 PM
I don't have a V, only a regular northstar V8 but I have to admit that any car ive ever had that I put cheap tres on to try to save money always backfired on me. I say of you are not in need of tires ASAP to look around for a deal on some good tires (ie. Pilot sport A/S or PS2's).

You will regret cheap tires. Even if there are good reviews you have to take into account that the reviewer is going on the perspective that they are cheap tires and are not writing a comparison against better tires.

I found two Pulot Sport A/S on eBay brand new for $265 and then ordered the other two on tire rack for $185 each.

I have also had the PS2's. The A/S's last twice as long and are better in the rain.

I don't think you will find cheap tires to be much quieter than the ones you have now.

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-04-09, 09:41 PM
Hankooks are ok if you get good ones. hit or miss on out of round tires. They do get noisy half way through them. They also loose significant grip half way through.

CIWS
12-05-09, 10:15 AM
Running the rears at near recommended pressure only seems to result in early center wear. I'm beginning to think this was a poor choice on the part of Cadillac with rear wheel and tire size. I've been running this last set at 28lbs cold and so far wear is staying pretty even.

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-05-09, 11:24 AM
My rears wear out evenly. Its my fronts that wear the outside edges.

CIWS
12-05-09, 02:41 PM
What pressures are you running cold ?

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-06-09, 01:55 AM
30 new 26 psi trips the TPMS as too low

CIWS
12-06-09, 09:49 AM
Yeah the TPS reads about 2lbs lower than my actual pressure gauges, which is why 28 is as low as I go cold.

johnb21
12-06-09, 12:49 PM
I don't have a V, only a regular northstar V8 but I have to admit that any car ive ever had that I put cheap tres on to try to save money always backfired on me. I say of you are not in need of tires ASAP to look around for a deal on some good tires (ie. Pilot sport A/S or PS2's).

You will regret cheap tires. Even if there are good reviews you have to take into account that the reviewer is going on the perspective that they are cheap tires and are not writing a comparison against better tires.

I found two Pulot Sport A/S on eBay brand new for $265 and then ordered the other two on tire rack for $185 each.

I have also had the PS2's. The A/S's last twice as long and are better in the rain.

I don't think you will find cheap tires to be much quieter than the ones you have now.

I have to mostly agree with you. I will say the HTR's haven't been a bad choice. I got what I paid for, and their performance has held up very well. Grip has remained consistent over their life. It is getting bad now, but the rears are really bad...beyond wearbars.
I have purchased other cheap tires in the past and have regretted my decision. Also, you need to be on the lookout for once expensive tires on sale..their manf date could be years old and they will not perform as intended. I have made this mistake in the past.

DraganHawk
12-13-09, 03:33 PM
I bought mine used of course. The dealer had put Sumitomos on it all the way around when I bought it at 22k miles. It has 40k now. Rears are evenly balding ( really wonder why?:yup:) The front are cupped and road noise like crazy. Really don't know what I'm gonna get come spring/summer????

When they were new, i was surprised to how smooth and quiet they were. They were kinda sticky but this dam car don't let me burn them in the right way!!!! That sucks. Gotta get this traction control crap 100% off. How else am I gonna do smokey burnouts????? In short, very SHOCKED and surprised as to how "good" these tire were for being cheap tires. Can't say anything else till I buy new ones and have something to compare them too.