: Who will be the first ?

orconn
10-21-09, 09:34 PM
It seems the consensus on the new "high side, small window" design is that we can't see out of the the things. And furthermore tall rear seat passengers must sacrifice comfort for a ride. Both these situations seem a bit ludicrous the upward trend of both size and weight of the cars coming to market. Granted there are new technologies coming on line to help deal with the disadvantages of current sedan design; i. e. rear zone cameras to aid rear visibility, sensors to warn of unseen rearward obstructions, blind-spot warning devices to warn of an unseen overtaking car. It would seem that these new expensive (did you know the 4 rear bumper sensors on the back of our Cadillac's cost $295.00 a piece should they need replacing and that doesn't include installation labor) technological gadgets wouldn't be necessary if we could just see out of our cars! Perhaps the designers working in the auto industries' studios worldwide are midgets or maybe they've just got it in for tall people.

The first time I, personally, encountered the drawbacks of this design trend was when looking at at the second generation Oldsmobile Aurora
whose claustrophobic interior and compromised rear head room was the deciding factor in my wife and I choosing a Catera as her business lease vehicle. Today this design configuration seems to have spread to almost all sedans available on the market today.

I guess as the last of the unaffected sedan designs leave the marketplace our only defense against "the consumer be damned" attitude of the current offerings is to hang onto what we are driving now and hope that the industry comes to its' senses before the wheels fall of what we are driving now!

Florian
10-22-09, 01:31 AM
remember when everything had fins???

...this too shall pass.

F

77CDV
10-22-09, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure if it has to do with some silly crash regulation or if it's just a current design fashion, but the high beltline, tiny window look is not my friend. Here's hoping it's short-lived.

Aron9000
10-22-09, 04:08 AM
I think its more of a design fashion than anything else. It makes for some cool looking cars, but about the only thing I'll really compromise style for is a two door sports coupe. A sedan or SUV is supposed to be practical and have good sight lines. What is the ****ing point of making a swoopy four door with no rear seat room or an SUV like a Hummer H2 or Toyota FJ40 that you can't see out of. **** that nonsense and give me a Suburban any day of the week over those two.

ga_etc
10-22-09, 07:08 AM
^ Don't be shy Aaron, tell us how you really feel.

Stingroo
10-22-09, 09:33 AM
LOL.

I don't know, when the FJ first came out, one of my dad's friends traded his WRX for a banana-yellow one. I thought it was a pretty cool truck honestly.

Plus, for christmas I got to buy him a license plate frame that said "Short Bus".

:)

bierman.d
10-22-09, 06:27 PM
I'm indifferent towards the trend. Slim windows look great on the outside. This is an important part of why I find the Chrysler 300C so attractive. And on the interior, I feel benefits too. One of the things that I love about the Corvette (C5 mainly) is the way the car "coddles" you. You feel like you are sitting low in the car as opposed to "on" it like many other cars. The dash feels high, the center console feels high and the window sills feel high too, but not overly so. You feel planted.

I agree though that it's kind of annoying in the back seat. I was in the back seat of some car recently where it really bothered me, but I can't remember which car it was..

concorso
10-22-09, 09:27 PM
The CLS is surprisingly roomy in the back...

gothicaleigh
10-22-09, 10:45 PM
The CLS is surprisingly roomy in the back...

...as is my Magnum. ;)

c5 rv
10-22-09, 11:35 PM
I think the design has a lot to do with automakers trying to improve side impact protection. Eventually, somone will figure out how to achieve good side impact ratings in a design with more traditional proportions - and critics will herald it as an all new look.

bierman.d
10-22-09, 11:38 PM
I just hope the rear windows will still be able to go all the way down.

Jon
10-23-09, 01:22 AM
The LaCrosse is still very roomy in the back despite the roofline.