: Wot?

jcresciSTS
10-21-09, 12:21 PM
I haven't done one in my car yet and wanted to try it out. I'll just have to find a nice stretch of road during the night since the speed limit is 65 here.

So from what I read you just put the car in 2nd and get up to 55mph then put the pedal to the metal and once it reaches 6200rpms just left off, correct?

I then do this how many times?

Ranger
10-21-09, 01:08 PM
2nd gear and go pedal to the metal. Hold it there until 70 MPH or so (you can go to 80 if you want to). Then back off and let it decelerate to 50 or so. If you see a cloud of carbon from the rear end, do it again.

jcresciSTS
10-22-09, 11:10 PM
so keep doing it til it doesn't make a cloud?

Will you noticed any changes in performance after doing some WOTs?

00 Deville
10-23-09, 12:50 AM
I usually do 3-4 in a row... last time I did them I easily hit 80... she was purring like a kitten. Check out the Tech Archive section for a full write up on the WOT procedure.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#full (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/../cadillac-tech.html#full)

Also take a look at the N* oil consumption in the Tech Archives it discuses how the WOT's can cut down on oil consumption.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/../cadillac-tech.html#noil)

Ranger
10-23-09, 11:31 AM
so keep doing it til it doesn't make a cloud?

Will you noticed any changes in performance after doing some WOTs?
Not likely.

Submariner409
10-23-09, 02:24 PM
:yeah: I use a semi-weekly WOT the same way as checking oil level, transmission fluid, and tire pressure: preventive maintenance.

jcresciSTS
10-23-09, 10:11 PM
ok, thanks for the info...now its time to find a place to do this :(

Ranger
10-23-09, 10:55 PM
You can do it on any highway or expressway as long as it is not crowded. You can go WOT to 60 and back down to 55. 70 or 80 is not mandatory, just preferable (and more fun).

00 Deville
10-24-09, 02:42 AM
You can do it on any highway or expressway as long as it is not crowded. You can go WOT to 60 and back down to 55. 70 or 80 is not mandatory, just preferable (and more fun).

55 limit on the expressway... that's pitiful. Jimmy Carter's no longer president they need to raise that in Illinois. It's 70 around here perfect for legal WOT's.

Ranger
10-24-09, 11:40 AM
In and close to Chicago the limit is 55 (though it is ignored). Once farther out it goes up to 65. I was actually referring to a 2 lane highway with the 55 comment. I just don't want anyone to get hung up on that 70 MPH number. It RPM not speed that matters. All the higher speed does is give you a longer deceleration.

jcresciSTS
10-25-09, 03:26 AM
Yeah where I live its 65mph and I usually do 70mph...its not the speed its the "non-crowded" part that is gonna be tough since its always busy

jcresciSTS
10-29-09, 08:54 PM
This is a stupid question but should I get on the freeway as usually in D then shift to 2nd when I'm ready at 55 or should I just start off in 2nd gear?

Ranger
10-29-09, 11:05 PM
I prefer to start out in 2nd, but I do downshift sometimes. I prefer to do that in the 40's though.

jcresciSTS
10-30-09, 12:13 AM
ok so I can start off in D then shift around the 40's. Thanks.

Submariner409
10-30-09, 12:58 PM
For a slow rolling start WOT you don't "start off in second gear". You get to around 5 mph and put the stick in 2. The car downshifts to 1, you punch it, and when the engine gets to 1-redline it shifts to 2. You keep going to 2-redline and flip your foot off the gas and let the engine pull the car all the way back down to 5 - 10 mph. This is the max-load/unload sequence. IF you miss the 2-redline (pass the shift point) the transmission will shift to 3, and if you get to 3-redline, it will shift to 4. All with the stick in 2.

The engine/transmission will not let you break anything, and it will not downshift until the engine and car speed will not result in engine overspeed in the lower gear.

You can be tooling down the highway at 65, drop the stick into 1, and the most the transmission will downshift to is 3. It will not downshift and overspeed the engine. Too many engine/transmission controls - you can't even rev the engine past 4,000 in P or N - there's another speed limiter in there :sneaky:

So, you can do a WOT from any starting point you wish and you won't hurt anything. The transmission says to the stick: "Your preferred gear is (1), (2), (3). I will hold that until redline, and then I'm gonna upshift because I don't want you to hurt me."

jcresciSTS
10-30-09, 10:44 PM
ah ok, so I can cruise in D til I get to my desired point of freeway and shift into 2 with no problems