: Anti-freeze problem

macs65
10-15-09, 09:38 AM
I have a 98 Catera with about 60,000 miles on it, since June I have topped up the anti-freeze with about 6 liters of a/f fluid. There are No leaks that I can find, the oil is clear, no foam, tranny fluid is red and clear, the car works as well as it ever did. Any idea where it is going?? what further problems might I expect if I can't determine where it is going.

CateraMV6
10-15-09, 10:00 AM
If its not leaking at all under the car then the oil cooler is fine.

Its possible that the engine was overheated and it might be seeping into the combustion chambers and burning out back...
Do you see a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe?

Listen inside the coolant reservoir for bubbles, if you see or hear some then its a head gasket...

macs65
10-15-09, 11:46 AM
No white smoke, how do I check the oil cooler??

R-Caddy
10-18-09, 05:11 PM
I'd say take the intake manifold off

Army_MP_From_MO
10-18-09, 07:45 PM
Do you smell coolant when driving?

BackStreet
10-18-09, 11:03 PM
No white smoke, how do I check the oil cooler??

To check the oil cooler is the same process as changing the oil cooler so you may as well change it while you have it all apart.

Get a piece of cardboard and park the car over it. Chances are you will see some drips. The problem is it leaks sometimes when the car is moving but not all the time and often not when parked. You may smell fluid but not see a leak or have a puddle.

The famous heater control valve (HCV) is right at the back of the engine and often leaks a little under pressure. Plus all those hoses may be 10 years old and leak.

Simplest cheapest thing first, try to tighten the hose clamps on the HCV. You have to remove the wipers, the plastic underneath the wipers, move the outer two tubes from the top of the engine so you can move the thing they are attached to, reach into the back and you will find the HCV. Again, by the time you go through all the trouble you may want to replace it.