: Looking for a Cadillac mechanic, I pay good!!!

ronronsls
10-15-09, 03:07 AM
Im looking for a Cadillac mechanic in the Chicago area.
I've owned a Buick & Toyota previous to my 02 SLS, & I took those cars to the corresponding dealerships & was always to build good rapport with a mechanic & eventually have them do work for me on the side.
It's just funny as hell that when I go to any Cadillac stealership there's always like a middle man I have to tell what's going on & he passes it on to the mechanic & the mechanic themselves try to avoid having contact with me & other customers. Are they really that scared of getting fired for doing side jobs or what's the deal?!? If there's any of you out there & aren't scared & like to make money once in a while, let me know!!! Anytime my car needs maintenance, repairs, or is acting up, I get it fixed ASAP... Let me know!!!

Ranger
10-15-09, 01:05 PM
Im looking for a Cadillac mechanic in the Chicago area.
I've owned a Buick & Toyota previous to my 02 SLS, & I took those cars to the corresponding dealerships & was always to build good rapport with a mechanic & eventually have them do work for me on the side.
It's just funny as hell that when I go to any Cadillac stealership there's always like a middle man I have to tell what's going on & he passes it on to the mechanic & the mechanic themselves try to avoid having contact with me & other customers. Are they really that scared of getting fired for doing side jobs or what's the deal?!? If there's any of you out there & aren't scared & like to make money once in a while, let me know!!! Anytime my car needs maintenance, repairs, or is acting up, I get it fixed ASAP... Let me know!!!
I think most dealers are like that. Service adviser writes it up. You rarely get to talk to the tech. I don't care for that either, but then I rarely go to the dealer after the warranty is expired. They definitely seem to keep them isolated.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-20-09, 01:19 PM
That's how most shops work. The service writer is the guy at the front desk that is always clean and well dressed that the customer talks to. As a technician I do not like talking to people unless I have to explain something that the service writer is not knowledgeable on. The service writer also handles all the paperwork and the ordering of parts. I simply tell him what I need and he orders it. He relays me the customer's complaint and takes care of all the paperwork. I get paid to fix the car and that's all I need to do.

Nasty93
01-26-10, 01:31 PM
That is pretty much it. Im a service adviser at a chicago area Cadillac dealer (Gary Lang). We really try to avoid the tech speaking to the customer based on the simple fact that it slows them down. They have so many cars to work on and so much to do, That taking time to speak to every customer really slows down the pace. As an adviser i try to make relationships with each and every customer. Having been a Tech it really helps me speak to a customer in an educated manor. If you are in this area though, i can hook you up with a caddy tech without an issue. Were in McHenry

Ranger
01-26-10, 11:41 PM
Hey Nasty, who are you? Been in there a fair amount (White '03 DHS with Purple Heart plates). Not so much now that I'm out of warranty (and I hear you guys are loosing Cadillac, that sucks). J.R. was my service adviser. I understand the time element, but sure did appreciate talking to a tech on the rare occasion when one (Mike Murphy?) would take the time to do so. Probably means a lot more to a guy like myself who can talk to them on their level and understand what they are saying and can ask intelligent questions as opposed to a soccer mom.

Nasty93
02-01-10, 11:51 AM
My name is Mike. Younger guy, had the office next to J.R. for a while. Now im across the shop. There are certain situations and customers that the tech will explain things if someone wants to get more in depth. You might have had either Mike Conway or Mike Oniel, only 2 caddy techs named mike weve had for a while. More often than not we do all the talking, but like i said. Someone that is able to understand more complex systems we will bring the tech.

Ranger
02-01-10, 12:54 PM
I think I remember you. I'm sure I would if I saw you.

Oniel is the one I was thinking about. Nice guy. I believe I spoke with Conway once as well. I think he did the front motor mount for me.