: Cabin Noise

nradcad
10-15-09, 12:12 AM
Or lack there of I might add. I've complained about this quite a bit on this forum, but I've not really heard anything to satisfy me. Will a Corsa exhaust setup substantially increase the noise level in the cabin? I haven't been able to hear one in person yet, and I'd really like to hear how much louder the cabin experience is. I think the stock setup is way to quite for my taste. Also - are there other things that can be done with the engine to increase the engine noise level in the cabin. A new air intake maybe? Will headers increase the perceptible engine noise? Hell, I really wanna start ripping out sound suppression insulation honestly.

Take the Ring vids between the V and the ZR1. In the ZR1 vid, you hear this thunderous roar of the beautiful orchestra playing as the car man handles that track. Contrast that with the V video, and you wonder sometimes if the car is even on and maybe it is just rolling down a hill in neutral? Really, you here more generic road noise from the tires than anything.

Does anyone else feel the stock cabin experience just isn't "there"?

62Jeff
10-15-09, 12:27 AM
My cabin experience is exactly what I wanted out of this car.

However I understand if you remove all of the plastic engine covering, the supercharger whine is not nearly as muted in the interior. You may try that, it's cheap and easy to do.

nradcad
10-15-09, 12:39 AM
Well, super charger whine quite isn't what I'm going for. I'd really like a little more roar vis a vis, more ZR1ish sounding. It is really just too on the quite side for me. I'm not an engine guy by any stretch, but maybe it has more to do with the headers than anything. Need to talk to some sound gurus.

62Jeff
10-15-09, 02:02 AM
You might want to read this post, and maybe contact this forum member
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/170883-corsa-exhaust-thoughts-post-install.html

And then 6 weeks later, off they came
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/174492-removed-corsas-placed-stock-mufflers-ar.html

Tony407
10-15-09, 05:00 AM
Does anyone else feel the stock cabin experience just isn't "there"?

Oh yes, I agree completely. In my Jaguar XF, they somehow routed engine noise into the passenger compartment. Needless to say when you romped on it it filled you will all sorts of warm, tingly feelings. Not so much in the V.

Tony

demorgan59
10-15-09, 09:15 AM
I totally agree. I know it's a Cadillac, but it is still way too refined for the fastest 4 door on the road. A little more intake roar, supercharger whine and exhaust at half to full throttle would be better. Strange, since it sounds great at start up and at idle. Also, the automatic shifts are way too soft even in manual mode. My Yukon XL 2500 shifts firmer.

I do think that the amount of road noise transmitted into the cabin is perfect and the suspension setup is also spot on.

Z06ified
10-15-09, 11:06 AM
If you want your CTS-V loud and ZR1 sounding, I would put on the AR long tube headers, and the Corsa exhaust, and it'll sound pretty damned close to a ZR1. Personally, I don't think a luxury car like the CTS-V should be THAT loud, but it is a wonderful sound.

I have Corsa Indys and long tube headers on my '02 Z06, and to me, the exhaust sound it makes is fabulous - I don't even listen to the radio in my car - just the engine. But, it is quite loud (except in 6th on the highway, then it's quiet), and as much as I love the loudness and the sound in the Z06, I don't think I'd want it in a CTS-V, as it is a luxury car after all. A damned fast luxury car, but still a luxury car.

I've heard the best combination is the long tube headers and stock mufflers on the CTS-V. Louder, much more of a throaty growl, but not too loud. Kind of like the exhaust on the AMG 63 cars.

neuronbob
10-15-09, 12:56 PM
I think the cabin noise level is just fine. Then again, I do have a Corsa touring exhaust, and it really does let in that gorgeous V8 noise when you get on it. With the stock exhaust.....you get an awful drone (I have an automatic) at 1500 rpm and less lovely noise when you get on it.

Again, coming from Honda products, and in particular an Acura with active noise cancellation, the CTS' quiet cabin speaks very well to GM's ability to control the cabin environment. I'm very impressed.

nradcad
10-15-09, 01:24 PM
Actually, I'm quite impressed with how quite the cabin is. If they use the same sound supression technology in the CTS, I bet that car is just smooth and silky quite given the 6er. Problem is I have a V8 with (as James May puts it) an 'unnecessary' amount of horsepower and it is like perpetual blue balls not being able to hear it. If I have even a talk show on the radio, you can't even begin to hear the engine. A cars soundtrack is as important as almost brakes or suspension in my opinion. And right now this cars plays its soundtrack on an old RCA phonograph.

1-2-N-V
10-15-09, 01:40 PM
so when the heck are we going to start seeing more full exhuast choices from like B&B, Magnaflow, Flowmaster and others. Really i think i like the bit higher pitched sound from B&B. Almost like a higher revving sound. Like a Ferarri (well maybe not) There's Some You tube vids and i think on their site of V1s with B&B set ups. To me... Sounds Awesome