: Car & Driver, a BMW and some BS.

the cadillac kid
10-14-09, 08:02 PM
I always felt that the rags suck a little too hard on BMW's wang, I mean, they push and promote everything that carries a BMW badge, and somehow always manage to be more harsh on BMW's competitors, like Cadillac, for example.

Here's a recent C&D article.
The gist of it being that they photoshopped a picture of a X6M winning a race that never happened.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404058
http://forums.caranddriver.com/showthread.php?t=1630117
http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/10/02/chevy-ii-gasser-owner-pissed-off-at-car-and-driver/
http://jalopnik.com/5373164/caranddriver-photoshops-fake-drag-race-blames-suicidal-fan+boy-writer

Makes you wonder

orconn
10-14-09, 08:57 PM
Given the cars available to U.S. buyers it's hard to counter the "fun factor" of BMWs, if handling and twisty road performance are what you are after. However, the hacks at the motor mags are a little prejudiced when it comes to judging cars that are not BMWs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-14-09, 11:03 PM
I like BMW, but hate the X6. What's the point and why does everyone seem to love it so much??

thebigjimsho
10-14-09, 11:06 PM
Just more crying about C&D favoring BMW. How about that when BMW wins, it's actually the truth? Nevermind that they actually had an S4 beating a 335i in the latest issue.

As for the drag strip roid-head who gets all pissy about his Chevy, it's simple photography. It's for dramatic affect. Did C&D ever say that the X6M beat the Chevy? No. Did it say it beat anything? Sure, a Cayenne. John Phillips is a very creative writer and comes up with great ideas.

Do you really think he got the X6M stuck in a creek and pulled out by a pickup?
Do you think he was seriously racing a on open wheeled racer?

Which brings us back to the original story. Roid-head and his quick temper. Tell him to calm down and think...

thebigjimsho
10-14-09, 11:08 PM
I like BMW, but hate the X6. What's the point and why does everyone seem to love it so much??
I don't see anyone loving them. I either hear hate or people afraid to admit that they kind of like them...

bierman.d
10-14-09, 11:36 PM
C&D has a pretty clear bias for anything BMW but I guess I never cared much. BMW does make some good cars... though I've never really fell in love with one. They're just not my style and I find them overrated in general.

I prefer Motor Trend anyways.

gary88
10-14-09, 11:42 PM

Space of an SUV, with handling very similar to a car. Plus you can't go wrong with any of the 3 twin-turbo engines offered. BMW figured since over 90% of SUV buyers don't actually use them for off-roading, they would tailor one to be more car-like in it's characteristics.

77CDV
10-14-09, 11:45 PM
^Kinda like a station wagon......

BMW makes excellent sport touring and grand touring cars. Their styling, especially the interior, has never attracted me, but that's true of all German cars. In general, people who own them, like them.

Jesda
10-15-09, 12:06 AM
http://www.momist.com/uploaded_images/BMW-X6-749777.jpg
UGH
GOD
NO!

orconn
10-15-09, 12:17 AM
Is the back seat for non-aryans? The perfect car to carry your visiting cousins from the Mid -West around in; they won't be staying long!

V-Eight
10-15-09, 12:27 AM
Is the back seat for non-aryans?!

If thats the case, I'm driving :lildevil:

Jonas McFeely
10-15-09, 01:13 AM
Just more crying about C&D favoring BMW. How about that when BMW wins, it's actually the truth? Nevermind that they actually had an S4 beating a 335i in the latest issue.

As for the drag strip roid-head who gets all pissy about his Chevy, it's simple photography. It's for dramatic affect. Did C&D ever say that the X6M beat the Chevy? No. Did it say it beat anything? Sure, a Cayenne. John Phillips is a very creative writer and comes up with great ideas.

Do you really think he got the X6M stuck in a creek and pulled out by a pickup?
Do you think he was seriously racing a on open wheeled racer?

Which brings us back to the original story. Roid-head and his quick temper. Tell him to calm down and think...

Spot-on! I couldnt have said it better. :highfive:

I enjoy his writing above any other editor at C&D. Long live the great John Phillips!

C&C
10-15-09, 07:01 AM
I feel that C&D lost (big time) when Csaba Csere and Patrick Bedard left (and I even liked Brock Yates when he was there); the new guys (I'm not so sure about yet) and never liked Phillips (JMO).

And after reading the Audi versus BMW; not so sure they got that right either. At least the scores were very close (and without all that subjective crap even closer).

Aron9000
10-15-09, 07:23 AM
I feel that C&D lost (big time) when Csaba Csere and Patrick Bedard left (and I even liked Brock Yates when he was there); the new guys (I'm not so sure about yet) and never liked Phillips (JMO).

And after reading the Audi versus BMW; not so sure they got that right either. At least the scores were very close (and without all that subjective crap even closer).

I really think that the BMW would've won that shootout with the Audi if it had been wearing a set of proper summer tires. IMO runflats suck ass and should be outlawed. Tires play such a huge role in vehicle dynamics/ride/handling, and I have yet to hear somebody say that a runflat tire rides better, handles better, and rides smoother than a conventional tire.

In the 10 years and over 120k miles I've personally driven, I have had one flat. It was a slow leak that I was able to limp to a tire shop the next day. Personally I feel that a full size spare is the only real option. **** a 255/40/R17 runflat that is good for 50 miles. **** a donut spare good for 50 miles. No tire shop in the bum**** of nowhere is is going to have a high performance BMW or Corvette tire in that size in stock. They can order one, it'll be there in one or two days. So what good does that donut or runflat do you in that situation?

IMO if you live in a major metropolitan area that would have a tire shop with your exotic tire size in stock, it would be a 5 mile tow. Not really worth going for a runflat in that situation either.

EDIT: Just a sidenote, the BMW X5 offers the same performance as an X6, when equipped with the same engine. The X5 looks 100x better, offers way more cargo room, more rear seat room, weighs the same amount, and is the exact same vehicle under the skin. Why anybody would buy the more expensive, stupid looking, and less practical X6 is anybody's guess.

Jonas McFeely
10-15-09, 04:07 PM
EDIT: Just a sidenote, the BMW X5 offers the same performance as an X6, when equipped with the same engine. The X5 looks 100x better, offers way more cargo room, more rear seat room, weighs the same amount, and is the exact same vehicle under the skin. Why anybody would buy the more expensive, stupid looking, and less practical X6 is anybody's guess.

No way. The X6 is awesome. Dare i even say sexy? Yes. :stirpot:

bierman.d
10-15-09, 06:53 PM
I suppose it's probably worth mentioning that BMW wasn't the first on this scene:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JzUx44lr8WA/SYgG2hPL1oI/AAAAAAAAKDU/oZAfDB-lkCE/s400/amc_eagle_wagons_1987.jpg

V-Eight
10-15-09, 07:11 PM
Those are nicer looking that the X6

orconn
10-15-09, 08:26 PM
Some are calling the X5 BMW's "Aztec," perhaps a bit harsh but on the right track. Unfortunately for a carmaker that produces some of the worlds most "fun to drive" vehicles they have been addicted to ugly car design for the last several years .... and there are some of us that require at east a modicum of good looks in their cars. OK, the 3 series coupe is pretty good looking by today's standards, but what about the rest of the line! BMW's stylist have created a real opportunity for Cadillac to get a foot hold in the sport sedan market with the latest CTS and siblings. Let's hope Cadillac's current competitiveness isn't a flash in the pan!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-15-09, 11:16 PM
Space of an SUV, with handling very similar to a car. Plus you can't go wrong with any of the 3 twin-turbo engines offered. BMW figured since over 90% of SUV buyers don't actually use them for off-roading, they would tailor one to be more car-like in it's characteristics.

Sorry to rain on your parade Gary, but someone already had this idea and it looks 100x better than the Bimmer. Not to mention it is an actual SUV with a tall roof, not a car that has had a suspension lift and has no rear cargo space whatsoever.

http://montanaarmoredvehicles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/2008_Porsche_Cayenne_Turbo_side.50143432.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-16-09, 12:54 AM
I love the Cayenne. The X5/6....eh not so much.

bierman.d
10-16-09, 02:22 AM
I used to like the Cayenne but it's gotten a little long in the tooth. Plus, it seems like every month some aftermarket tuner company comes out with a new body kit that makes it look ever more ridiculous. Or give it 770 unnecessary hp. Cool to some; not really to me.

Speaking of which, isn't Porsche coming out with a Cayenne hybrid that is supposed to get almost 27 mpg highway on gas? Sounds too good to be true, but it was featured on Motor Trend so I'm inclined to believe it realistic.

thebigjimsho
10-16-09, 09:15 AM
Some are calling the X5 BMW's "Aztec," perhaps a bit harsh but on the right track. Unfortunately for a carmaker that produces some of the worlds most "fun to drive" vehicles they have been addicted to ugly car design for the last several years .... and there are some of us that require at east a modicum of good looks in their cars. OK, the 3 series coupe is pretty good looking by today's standards, but what about the rest of the line! BMW's stylist have created a real opportunity for Cadillac to get a foot hold in the sport sedan market with the latest CTS and siblings. Let's hope Cadillac's current competitiveness isn't a flash in the pan!
Do you mean X6? Because I think for SUVs, the X5 is one of the best looking out there...

thebigjimsho
10-16-09, 09:17 AM
Also, I will take back a little of the rant in which I called out Roid-head. What I missed on the online version was the photo in the magazine had a caption stating the X6M went up against the Chevy gasser.

But still...

V-Eight
10-16-09, 10:19 AM
I used to like the Cayenne but it's gotten a little long in the tooth. Plus, it seems like every month some aftermarket tuner company comes out with a new body kit that makes it look ever more ridiculous. Or give it 770 unnecessary hp. Cool to some; not really to me.

When is 770HP EVER unnecessary?

Jonas McFeely
10-16-09, 01:04 PM
:highfive:

orconn
10-16-09, 01:48 PM

When you are producing a 7000 pound passenger car. At the rate the germans are going with heft of their cars, it won't be long before we need that kind of horse power just to get the poor things going much less going quickly. Remember 15 years ago 300 hp in a 3800 lb Seville STS was considered more than adequate. Today 0-60 tmes of 7 seconds are considered mediocre. With Mercedes and others pushing 6000 lbs for their luxury sedans more horsepower will be a necessity not an option!

77CDV
10-16-09, 02:09 PM
Sounds like the late 60s early 70s all over again.

Rodya234
10-17-09, 07:43 PM
I don't even know why that guy is taking this so seriously. The photoshop job on that picture is so bad it couldn't fool anyone with an IQ higher then room temperature.

V-Eight
10-17-09, 08:17 PM
I suppose it's probably worth mentioning that BMW wasn't the first on this scene:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JzUx44lr8WA/SYgG2hPL1oI/AAAAAAAAKDU/oZAfDB-lkCE/s400/amc_eagle_wagons_1987.jpg

The black one kinda looks like a GN SUV.

orconn
10-17-09, 08:54 PM
I new I had seen the X5 somewhere before, then it dawned on me that I actually had seen its' styling prototype almost fifty years ago when I was growing up in Brazil. It looks like what a 1950's British Standard Vanguard sedan would look like if the the BMW stylist were trying to bring up to date in the first decade of the 21st century. But then maybe BMW is seeking new markets in the Third World .... now if only Third Worlders could only afford one. I don't think it would appeal to rich Brazilians, they could afford a car specifically for each of the chores the X5 tries to take on. It won't beat a Jeep or a Land Rover Defender when the going gets rough in the Mato Grosso, won't beat track car on the track and I can't see a rich Brazilian showing up at the opera in one while his S class or XJ sits at home in th garage.

77CDV
10-17-09, 11:13 PM
^Bonus points for obscure old car reference.

70eldo
10-21-09, 06:49 PM
I read the C&D artice on the X6 M. They are honost about it being an ugly car. Not in those words, but they state that they just wanted to test the performance. And it doesn't really fit in any picture. I mean, do I need to spend so much to drive a comfortable roomy car that doesn't even look good?
That's for lable freaks that only care that it is a BMW.