: Any .45 auto shooters on board?

Gary Wells
10-13-09, 07:32 PM
Any .45 auto *shooters* on board? I am thinking about starting shooting again, haven't shot for about 10 years or so, currently own 3 .45 autos, as follows:
1) Springfield Armory Trophy Match, forged, machined, & assembled in the good old U.S. of A. (before they forged their frames in SA), excellent shooting gun. 2) Les Baer Premier II, about 12 years old or so, trigger job, otherwise bone stock, excellent shooting gun, & 3) my favorite & pride & joy, a James Hoag (San Gabriel Valley, CA) built longslide, blued upper early '70 series slide, early '70 series hard chromed frame, all of the bells & whistles, Swenson stainless ambi safety, Swenson stainless extended slide stop, one of the most beautiful squared trigger guards that I have ever seen, Bar-Sto stainless 6" barrel, checkering on the front strap, rear arched strap, & front of the trigger guard, serrated rear of the slide to match the rear sight blade, & machined (flattened) & serrated slide top. Tight as a drum, beautiful welding, matching, & machining of the 2 slide sections. Old school gunsmith art at it's finest. Unfortunately, no pics as I am on a Apple & haven't hooked up picture ability to it yet.
My problem: I went gunstore shopping Sunday for a look see at what the new $1700 Les Baers looked like, but unfortunately fell in love with a $2700 Ed Brown Executive Target. Also looked at $2900 Nighthawks, but wasn't that impressed with them. Leaning towards the damn Ed Brown, about $3K out the door with tax. Any thoughts?

eldorado99
10-13-09, 08:20 PM
Kimber Custom II .45 shooter here. The gun market up here is completely different from down there so I don't have any thoughts to share unfortunately.

iowasevillests
10-13-09, 08:33 PM
I've never been a regular .45 shooter, more often 9 and .22 along with long guns, but with that collection of large bore lead throwers why not spend $500 on ammo and range fees to get back in the groove and make sure that this is what you want to do before you drop 3k on a new toy. I easily understand the desire to buy a new gun, but since you've been out of shooting big bore for so long it might make more financial sense to spend some money and time on ammo to start with to ensure that you're not going to end up with a new safe queen. If you like the shooting go ahead and buy the new one, you should have refined your aim substantially and will make breaking it in much more fun when you're making consistent groups.

bigken@norcalvettes
10-13-09, 08:37 PM
i love my .45 :thumbsup: i have a bunch of other guns as well. its nice having your own shooting range. i just go outside :bouncy:

Submariner409
10-13-09, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that !!! It's nice to step out the back door to a pistol and rifle range.............

BUT, the only .45 Auto shooting I do is to load them into half-moon clips for my grandfather's model 1917 S&W DA Army revolver (cheaper than buying wimpy .45 AutoRim). All the rest of the big-bore pistol stuff is .45 Colt SA revolver, home brewed :cool:.

Leaf through my photo album - 2 pages in the little icon under my login........

EDIT: Gary, Spend 1/3 the price of a new .45Auto and get a decent Ruger .45 Colt wheelgun. Fun. (Start handloading - piece of cake.)

Ranger
10-13-09, 09:02 PM
I had shot practical pistol for about 10 years. I too have been away for about 10 years and I'm thinking about getting back into it once I retire (very soon). "Old slab sides" has always been my favorite (maybe a little sentiment there). Mine is a blued series 80 Colt Gold Cup. Not many mods to it. Nowlin barrel, magazine funnel, Pachmyre grips and accurized. My other one is just a U.S Army clone. Not familiar enough with them to give you any advice.

Rolex
10-13-09, 09:34 PM
I started really shooting handguns when I was 21, after hunting and shooting long guns my whole life. My college roommate was a sheriff deputy and turned me on to the idea of conceal carry, and the rest was history. I just ran into my old roommate a couple weeks ago. Turns out he lives about 20 minutes from me now and is a deputy in Washington County. Anyway (rambling), I would say if I had it to do over again I would have started with either a 9mm or 45 acp. The 40 is a solid caliber handgun but doesn't really have a significant edge over 9mm or 45. Couple that with the snappy muzzle flip of the 40 and shooting 2000 rounds during a weekend course, and it's not very much fun.

One of the docs I work with is a good shooting buddy. He has two Wilson Combat 45s that are the sweetest shooting government frames I've ever laid hands on. I believe both were in the 3k-4k price range, and he bought them before some of the pistol smiths split from Wilson to start their own company. I've been told the "newer" Wilsons aren't what they used to be....but they say that about all kinds of things.

I'd love to see pics of your pieces. Be sure to post them in the Post Your Weapons thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/119346-post-your-weapons-74.html) when you get a chance. :D

DILLIGAF
10-13-09, 09:42 PM
Dude,you have some serious iron!Why the need for a different gun?I own a sig 45 that sits in the night stand,I really don't like it and should sell it.Glock guy here.

dkozloski
10-13-09, 09:45 PM
I've put thousands of rounds through a S&W model 1950 .44 Target and was never really interested in big bore autos. That being said I've also put thousands of rounds through my S&W model 41 .22 with muzzle compensator that I bought fifty years ago. I still have the Olympic counterweights for it that are extremely rare today. I have an indoor range in my basement.

Rolex
10-13-09, 09:48 PM
I have an indoor range in my basement.

I haven't said this in awhile:

I think I want to be you when I grow up. :worship:

Florian
10-13-09, 10:02 PM
My .45s:

Kimber CDP2 Ultra
Baer TRS
Navy Issue 1911 (issued in 1916 to Gr. Grandpappy)
custom MEU-SOC by Dave Berryhill

F

Gary Wells
10-13-09, 10:04 PM
Over my lifetime I have probably owned maybe about 150 firearms, from .22 pistol & rifle to .45 auto belly guns to medium caliber long rifles. At one time, I owned about 75 handguns, with about 60 or so being Detonics. I am a dedicated .45 auto single stack shooter, & I do load my own when I was shooting with a Dillon progressive loader. I still have the loader, brass, bullets, powder. I am very familiar with the Wilson name, but I also will tell you that not only them but even maybe Baer are not the guns that they used to be. If you ever see a Ed Brown, you will never forget the quality that is there. And I really don't need another gun, but then again, I didn't need the damn Cad CTS-V either. But I love them all, the '02 ZO6 dd, a very pristine '87 turbo Buick, 26K mile car, and the new 500 mile Cad, with the turbo Buick & the Cad being toys in the attic, so to speak. You really can't take it with you, and he with the most toys when he dies, still dies. Doesn't win a damn thing.

Gary Wells
10-13-09, 10:09 PM
Dude,you have some serious iron!Why the need for a different gun?I own a sig 45 that sits in the night stand,I really don't like it and should sell it.Glock guy here.

Hey, you look familiar, don't I know you from turbobuick.com?
Glocks are sister ugly, but I have to admit that they are in my humble opinion the best firearm dollar for dollar.
I've always wanted a Sig, but to be specific, a Sig model 210, I think, high dollar 9 mm, maybe? Terribly pricey.

Gary Wells
10-13-09, 10:11 PM
My .45s:

Kimber CDP2 Ultra
Baer TRS
Navy Issue 1911 (issued in 1916 to Gr. Grandpappy)
custom MEU-SOC by Dave Berryhill

F

Hey, Florian, a Baer TRS is some 1st class artillery. Nice gun.

dkozloski
10-13-09, 10:16 PM
I haven't said this in awhile:

I think I want to be you when I grow up. :worship:
Private indoor ranges are not uncommon around here. There are several in the neighborhood. I have to admit that I don't shoot much anymore because since the wife and I are both retired I have to wait for her to go somewhere without me to keep from driving her nuts.

Ranger
10-13-09, 10:17 PM
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. He who dies with the most toys wins.

DILLIGAF
10-13-09, 10:33 PM
Hey, you look familiar, don't I know you from turbobuick.com?
Glocks are sister ugly, but I have to admit that they are in my humble opinion the best firearm dollar for dollar.
I've always wanted a Sig, but to be specific, a Sig model 210, I think, high dollar 9 mm, maybe? Terribly pricey.
No turbobuick.com,just here and the ls tech boards before the lifetime ban.I'm sure there was a dilligaf over there at some point and time.My sigs a p220,maybe a 100 rounds thru it,it was my dads.I have never cleaned my glock except the time I proved to my buddie it would empty the clip under water,and then I just sprayed it with wd40.

Florian
10-13-09, 10:44 PM
Hey, Florian, a Baer TRS is some 1st class artillery. Nice gun.

My second fave gun in the stable...
First is the MEUSOC
Third is my Kimber
the untouchable is the Navy issue......gr. granddaddy wouldnt like his piece fooked with.

F

themadwacker1
10-13-09, 11:21 PM
John Moses Browning 100%

Yee old slab slide......NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT :gungrin:

Single action, single stacked, 8 rounds, cocked & locked.......just the way it's meant to be.

eldorado99
10-13-09, 11:49 PM
NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT :gungrin:

Don't you wish we could? or are you always "On the way to the range"? ;)

By the way, if you aren't already a member try this place: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/

themadwacker1
10-14-09, 03:02 AM
Don't you wish we could? or are you always "On the way to the range"? ;)

Ok we'll go with that :suspect:

eldorado99
10-14-09, 03:07 AM
Ok we'll go with that :suspect:

Don't you live in Canada? Where we are not able to carry restricted firearms anywhere unless it is to the range...? As much as I hate it that is the set of rules most of us have to follow.

jedhead
10-14-09, 04:07 AM
I have two .45's One is a Springfield Armory .45 that I bought as a kit and had Tussy assemble and tune the pistol with Millet sight, Ed Brown grip safety. The other .45 is old series '70 Colt Gold Cup that I Tussy do a reliablity package to it. I did shoot about 400 rounds a week when I was doing alot of training as a NRA Certified Instructor. My friends and I gave bi-weekly training classes. I like my Springfield the best and after thousands of rounds its fairly tight and reliable. I do own several other pistols, but the .45 is my favorite to shoot.

Bob

Gary Wells
10-14-09, 04:32 AM
My Springfield Trophy Match has a Terry Tussey reliability package also. Tussey is still kicking and working on guns, I believe somewhere around the Carson City area, maybe. I have owned quite a few of his guns over my gun playing history.

Gary Wells
10-14-09, 05:57 AM
Don't know if this will work or not. This is the James Hoag, driver side, gunnied when they actually did everything by hand, the true "Old School" way. This is 2 slides sectioned & welded into 1 6" slide, long before they ever forged or cast 6" slides.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21089d1167510801-any-1911-fans-here-jim-hoag-custom-longslide-002.jpg

And this is the shotgun side of the Hoag, if you look close, you can see the slight discoloration of the welding of the 2 slides where they were welded together.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21091d1167511101-any-1911-fans-here-jim-hoag-custom-longslide-003.jpg

And this is my Les Baer, pretty early gun, driver side

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21092d1167511375-any-1911-fans-here-les-baer-premier-ll-002.jpg

Les Baer, shotgun side:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21093d1167511819-any-1911-fans-here-les-baer-premier-ll-004.jpg

Very early Springfield Trophy Match, only 1 pic.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21094d1167512160-any-1911-fans-here-springfield-trophy-match-001.jpg

And one of them always stands guard over this at nighttime:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/turbo-lounge/21095d1167512540-any-1911-fans-here-new-pics-87-turbo-t-after-sc-c-install-002.jpg

skozzy
10-14-09, 09:08 AM
I have a Kimber ultra Carry II in .45, thats my CCW gun!

I have a Springfield XD .40 and a few "other" handguns (wife thinks to many!) that are fun to shoot as well but my true love is my AR's and my Springfield SOCOM II

Love those toys!

CIWS
10-14-09, 09:37 AM
Two Sig P220s

jedhead
10-14-09, 11:46 AM
My Springfield Trophy Match has a Terry Tussey reliability package also. Tussey is still kicking and working on guns, I believe somewhere around the Carson City area, maybe. I have owned quite a few of his guns over my gun playing history.

I see Terry at the gun show here in Orange County once in a while. He has a booth when he is down here visiting.

Bob

DILLIGAF
10-14-09, 07:58 PM
Since we've touched on self defense here,heres what I think i'll trade the sig for

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001

I want a round that will shoot thru body armor!

The armor piercing ammo is around for a price.

Ranger
10-14-09, 09:13 PM
Don't see the need for that unless you plan on going up against the cops.

DILLIGAF
10-14-09, 09:48 PM
Don't see the need for that unless you plan on going up against the cops.
If thats the case why are the rounds intended for police and military?They shooting at each other?:thepan:

People always worry about their 2nd amendment rights, and for good reason.When a government takes god given rights from you and uses civil servants to carry out their wishes,who you gonna be shooting at?I myself intend to be on common ground with anyone who intends me harm.

Ranger
10-14-09, 10:13 PM
Well, lets say for the sake of argument you are right. Don't you think you will be a little out gunned and loose the fight in the end anyway?

Gary Wells
10-14-09, 10:13 PM
Armor piercing was originally designed and manufactured for LE & military use for putting motor blocks and that type of thing out of commission. Penetrating car bodies, etc., etc. Pretty much before body armor was put into widespread usage.

DILLIGAF
10-14-09, 10:23 PM
Well, lets say for the sake of argument you are right. Don't you think you will be a little out gunned and loose the fight in the end anyway?
Possibly, but I'm not that smart:shhh:

Enjoy friend

YouTube - A Country Boy Can Survive

Kev
10-14-09, 10:27 PM
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. He who dies with the most toys wins.Wins what? :rolleyes:

Ranger
10-14-09, 10:29 PM
Hehe. Armor piercing is fun to play with anyway. Just don't get caught with it. You'll automatically be the bad guy.

Ranger
10-14-09, 10:30 PM
Wins what? :rolleyes:

The game of life?

Kev
10-14-09, 10:36 PM
.... and the prize is?

Rolex
10-14-09, 10:37 PM
.....I want a round that will shoot thru body armor!

Pretty much every certerfire rifle will do then.

I don't think the 5.7 is well suited for self defense, but you could certainly do worse. They used to go for $800-900 brand new, and the ammo wasn't cheap either. What's the gonig price for them nowdays?

DILLIGAF
10-14-09, 10:40 PM
Beer I hope!

DILLIGAF
10-14-09, 10:45 PM

I don't think the 5.7 is well suited for self defense, but you could certainly do worse. They used to go for $800-900 brand new, and the ammo wasn't cheap either. What's the gonig price for them nowdays?

A grand around here bought right.Ammo is stupid expensive right now.That is the pre ban good stuff(steel penetrator).I played with one and it kicks no worse than my buck mark 22.By all means find one and shoot it,you will be amazed and then some,and then some more.Unbelievable IMO.

Ranger
10-15-09, 11:04 AM
.... and the prize is?

Just boasting rights (in the after world).:rolleyes:

Florian
10-15-09, 03:29 PM
Beer I hope!

yup, yup :yup:

F

dkozloski
10-15-09, 07:26 PM

It depends on whose body armor you're talking about. Have you seen the you tube video of the iraqi sniper than shoots a GI from across the street with an AK-47 and the GI gets right back up? It's an amazing video. Watch the whole thing because it's a hell of a story.

YouTube - U.S. Soldier Shot by Iraqi Sniper

orconn
10-15-09, 07:40 PM
66666 That is a hell uva story dkoz, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Rolex
10-15-09, 08:21 PM
That's a heck of a story indeed. Those vests the troops wear are pretty damn amazing to stop a 7.62 round shot 75 yards away.

I'm not familiar with the vests law enforcement wear. Are they made to withstand the same kind of small arms fire the military's vests are?

Ranger
10-15-09, 09:23 PM
I have seen the old Viet Nam era flack jackets stop 7.62 M60 rounds at close range. Machine gunner did not get the word that one of the ambush positions was going to pick up and move a bit. Took several heart and lung shots (gunner was good), but lived to tell about it.

DILLIGAF
10-15-09, 09:40 PM
That's a heck of a story indeed. Those vests the troops wear are pretty damn amazing to stop a 7.62 round shot 75 yards away.

I'm not familiar with the vests law enforcement wear. Are they made to withstand the same kind of small arms fire the military's vests are?
I don't think so,I doubt most cops wear the vest with the heavy trauma plates in all the time.

CIWS
10-16-09, 08:56 AM

Most folks aren't wearing body armor on their face ;) Even if they were the blunt force would still do it's thing.

dkozloski
10-16-09, 09:57 AM
Gordon Liddy advised using head shots against the BATF.

skozzy
10-16-09, 11:44 AM
Gordon Liddy advised using head shots against the BATF.

Better be careful! Your going to come home and the family dog will be gone! :shocked2:

dkozloski
10-16-09, 11:53 AM
Better be careful! Your going to come home and the family dog will be gone! :shocked2:
I should be so lucky. Old Fergus is about to drive me crazy barking at everything and everybody. He's got callouses on his neck from the bark collar and he still hasn't learned to keep his mouth shut.

orconn
10-16-09, 12:52 PM
^^^^ What kind of dog is "Old Fergus?"

Submariner409
10-16-09, 01:09 PM
I just e-mailed the Hank Williams, Jr. link to Nancy Pelosi.

"Old Fergus" is probably some sort of Lab mix with a mind of his own...............

dkozloski
10-16-09, 02:10 PM
Fergus is a purebred Pembroke Welsh Corgi. The vet calls him a giant Corgi. He has long hair like a Collie and weighs 38lbs. He's too smart for his own
damn good.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/37862d1196365447-fergie-mvc-013f.jpg

orconn
10-16-09, 03:28 PM
Great name, great beed! Very smart herding breed .... dkoz and the Queen of England have good taste! Maybe he's barking at the parade of moose, bears and wolves out in front of the house given the lack of cattle in your part of Alaska!

dkozloski
10-16-09, 03:46 PM
Great name, great beed! Very smart herding breed .... dkoz and the Queen of England have good taste! Maybe he's barking at the parade of moose, bears and wolves out in front of the house given the lack of cattle in your part of Alaska!
We've got some Scottish Highlanders, Angus, Musk Oxen, and reindeer for him to work on but he'd rather just make a lot of noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Skotsky_nahorni_skot.jpg

orconn
10-16-09, 05:13 PM
My main connection with Penbrooke Corgis was around horse barns and at horse shows. The Corgi was THE dog of choice for the horsey set until Jack Russells seemed to take over the scene. I don't remember individual ones being yappy, but they seemed tobark alot more when in groups .... nothing like hounds though! We've got a lot of beef cattle production here in Virginia, nothing like the Highland cattle you've got, predominately Black Angus. My Scottish Terrier, Thistle, seems to only bark at kids trespassing on there way home from school although she's been known to break into a highland fling at the mention of "treat." My wife's Boston Terrier, whom she has managed to turn into "Mugsy Maginnis" rather then an "American Gentleman" also saves himself for the trespassers and occasionally an errant squirrel. Our property has a stream running through which the deer use as a thoroughfare, now departed bigger dogs, GSD and Barbet used to try to keep the deer away from the shrubs ..... unfortunately when biggger guys passed on so did a good portion of the shrubbery!

dkozloski
10-16-09, 06:23 PM
In the winter months there is a steady stream of moose wandering through the neighborhood. Amazingly enough Fergus and Poppy, our Bichon Frise, are far more preoccupied with the rat terrier that lives across the street.