: What would it take to get back in the showrooms?

orconn
10-13-09, 07:23 PM
I just got off GM's Cadillac and Buick internet sites and after doing a couple of "build a's for you" I have come away uninspired to even go test drive one of either divisions products. I can't say the Europeans are doing any better ... expensive, over optioned and ugly rehashes of the recent past.

Even if I were in dire need of a new car right now, I would be hard pressed to get exceited about the proposition of shopping for a new car. The Japanese continue in their flavorless rut, the Euro's that we get in the U.S. make you yearn for the styles of by gone years, and the Americans are offering down market versions of what the Europeans are offering. All in all very depressing!

iowasevillests
10-13-09, 09:18 PM
For me there has only been 1 car in the recent past that has got me to bother stepping foot into a showroom, the new camaro. The only future car that I can see dragging me in is the 2010 CTS Coupe(if they make a V Model). Even though I have no intention of buying new at any point in the near future, it did/will give me an idea as to if I would like to have one after they get a couple years on them and someone else eats the depreciation.

Submariner409
10-13-09, 10:15 PM
A big problem is our "I want it now" mentality coupled with a throwaway economy. Back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's it was fairly common to go to a car dealer and sit down and option out your car. You put $100 on the table, signed the contract and a couple of weeks later you got a build date and a buck date. Maybe a month or three later you went to the dealer and picked up your car.

Now, we go to a display room, look at what's floorplanned, say "I like that color" and wait while they knock the dust off (as we get impatient that it takes so long).

Reading the CTS and "STS" forums up top gives the impression that these guys buy something and can't wait to start chopping and screwing with the product before it's even had a chance to run a hundred miles. Hell, I went back to my '65 Chevelle builder mode and did a LOT of snooping before I bought the 2002 STS - I knew exactly what I was after and what I needed to know about that car before I bought it.

Not now. It's instant gratification, just like this computer.

Hah !!!! I've posted this before: Build a wild Torino, Chevelle, 442, GTO, Dodge 440 6-pack and tow it to the track with a cherry Seville, Eldorado, or Deville.

Aron9000
10-13-09, 11:51 PM
BMW's 335i coupe and M3 coupe just really seals the deal for me. Both of those cars have a timeless elegance about them, and the engineering under the skin is just as, if not more impressive IMO. If you've never driven a BMW with the twin turbo I-6, you need to. The torque "curve" is amazing, 295lb-ft availalbe from 1300-5000rpms. I also think BMW is underrating it at 300hp, it feels a lot stronger, and the mid to low 13 second quarter mile times reflect that.

Vinsanity
10-14-09, 12:02 AM
A CTS convertible would definitely bring me back to the showroom. But I guess GM is content to let Lexus and Infiniti fight for that segment against BMW.

gary88
10-14-09, 12:08 AM
BMW's 335i coupe and M3 coupe just really seals the deal for me. Both of those cars have a timeless elegance about them, and the engineering under the skin is just as, if not more impressive IMO. If you've never driven a BMW with the twin turbo I-6, you need to. The torque "curve" is amazing, 295lb-ft availalbe from 1300-5000rpms. I also think BMW is underrating it at 300hp, it feels a lot stronger, and the mid to low 13 second quarter mile times reflect that.

You got that right :dance:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/gheb882/0609_c_bmw_335i_dyno.jpg?t=1255489357

eldorado99
10-14-09, 12:56 AM
I've never even been "in" the showrooms. I've bought every car I've ever had used and for cash in full. I did consider a used '03 CTS a couple years ago in a "showroom" but that's about as close as I've gotten. I don't see myself going into the showrooms any time soon either. I suppose maybe in 5 years or so I might see how a nice certified pre-owned 2012 Camaro V8 goes for though...

Jesda
10-14-09, 02:31 AM
Last time I went to a showroom with some level of excitement was to see the new 2005 Chrysler 300. Before that, the XLR. Closest I got to buying new was a Chrysler 300.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
10-14-09, 04:29 AM
I stopped at a dealer the other day to have a look at a new CTS Wagon. I love the idea of luxury wagons and the CTS is amazing.

C&C
10-14-09, 07:21 AM
Even though I'm not in the market I go car shopping almost every weekend (okay, maybe not that much). Still, I peruse the new car lots when the stores are closed (so as not to be bothered by salesmen) doing my eye shopping and sticker comparisons at my leisure.

To the OP; if you're not inspired, you're not inspired. There is certainly the most choice out there now than there has ever been, but if it's design you're seeking (and this is what is lacking in your search) well you'll just have to wait till something catches your eye. And I guess you already know this but seeing a car in the 'flesh' yields quite a different picture (in may cases) than looking at a picture. Good luck in your search.

c5 rv
10-14-09, 02:13 PM
I think there are plenty of cars to get excited about. Like someone mentioned, the CTS wagon is beautiful. But, I'm going to start buying used luxury cars because of the terrible depreciation hit I take driving over 25K miles per year.

77CDV
10-14-09, 03:41 PM
The car makers have focused way more on technology and toys and not so much on style. I do like a lot of the toys on the new cars, but the styling is just plain boring. The current CTS is the closest anyone's come in a while to getting both.