: Oil Cooler/ Heat exchanger

Motohead1115
10-13-09, 01:39 PM
After reading how the oil cooler works it seems to me that it is an oil heater as well. I live in the midwest with mild winters/summers. Since mine is leaking and I dont want to dump more money into the car what about just bypassing it? From the drawings it looks like I could cut the lines and attach them back together with a short peace of hose. Has anyone done this with sucess?

pedrazamarcos
10-14-09, 12:45 AM
I think is possible,just remember,this thing raises from 60-80 psi when cold or high rpm's just keep that in mind.There is also an External oil filter kit with hoses you can use.and last,remember to plug your cooler on the engine or you will have a coolant leak.

Motohead1115
10-14-09, 01:01 AM
I think is possible,just remember,this thing raises from 60-80 psi when cold or high rpm's just keep that in mind.There is also an External oil filter kit with hoses you can use.and last,remember to plug your cooler on the engine or you will have a coolant leak.

Yea I figured I would cut a short section from each line and use 2 short hoses one to loop the oil pump side and one to loop the cooler/heat exchanger. If I ever get around to replacing the cooler I can switch the hoses around to make a working system again.