: This is what wheel hop will get you.

leija_01
10-13-09, 11:35 AM
Broken CV Shaft. Be careful fellas. this was such a tedious repair!! I thought about doing a how to... but it would have been WAYY Too long. anyway, just thought I would share. :)

old one, on the left, new one on the right.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/leija01/photo-4.jpg

Berger 93
10-13-09, 11:47 AM
Woah . . . that looks nasty . . . scarey that such a large diameter rod would break like that . . .

Redxped1
10-13-09, 12:01 PM
sounds like me last year
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1334466&l=12c87785b9&id=502737895

Florian
10-13-09, 02:30 PM
Thats a 1.25" diam shaft, no? Not much when trying to control 4300 lbs @ 440 lbs/ft.......a bit underdesigned if you ask me.

F

Redxped1
10-13-09, 03:21 PM
looks like yours broke the same place mine did in the diff

CIWS
10-14-09, 09:00 AM
Were you guys running stock tunes and cars when that happened ?

Redxped1
10-14-09, 02:14 PM
yeah 100% stock car for me mine did it at the track

leija_01
10-14-09, 03:49 PM
mine was at the track, and we were running various tunes. We were aiming at getting the best all stock motor(besides magnaflow) in the lowest time possible. Our best 60' was 1.8 !!

red, did you replace yours yourself?

Redxped1
10-14-09, 05:42 PM
no warrenty did ive done afew on my old gtp befor

leija_01
10-14-09, 06:15 PM
weird, warranty didn't cover mine... basterds...

CIWS
10-14-09, 07:18 PM
Cool, thanks for the added info. :)

cmross97
09-16-11, 10:15 AM
how big of a beotch was it to get the broken piece out of the diff? and how did you do it

Hope i dont break mine

CMNTMXR57
09-16-11, 02:40 PM
I've been worried about this becoming a problem on mine. Several times I've left hard from a light, only to have to get off the throttle almost instantaneously due to some other idiot on the road. Anyway, you spool up all this torque from the S/C, it locks up the tires, then you let off the throttle, and there is a delay between your foot command and the pressure relief mechanism bleeding the boost, and you feel that "snap" in the power delivery. So I'm just waiting my turn.

550HP STSV
09-16-11, 08:11 PM
wheel hop

leija_01
09-19-11, 10:23 AM
how big of a beotch was it to get the broken piece out of the diff? and how did you do it

Hope i dont break mine
total pain in the ass...lol
had to take the ring and pinion out of the rear end and literally beat it out, but that didn't work. there are about 12 bolts holding everything together, so after that was all taken apart, the broken piece just fell out. about 2 extra hours total.

Black02SLPSS
09-19-11, 10:08 PM
Are there any aftermarket half shafts for these cars or are we just screwed with OEM stuff?

leija_01
09-20-11, 06:29 PM
Gfore Engineering has said they would make axles for us

550HP STSV
09-21-11, 08:00 PM
when?

meekna
09-21-11, 08:06 PM
Gfore Engineering has said they would make axles for us
and what would they be rated for?

coach123
09-21-11, 11:55 PM
It would probably cost the same amount as the one's they make for the 1st gen CTS-V.

Check out their ebay site for prices on CTS-V stuff. Really not that expensive when you think about it.

http://shop.gforce1320.com/category.sc?categoryId=22

I would say a full upgrade kit would be good for 1000hp

leija_01
09-23-11, 11:25 AM
thanks coach! you got it right on the nose.

cmross97
10-29-11, 11:05 AM
total pain in the ass...lol
had to take the ring and pinion out of the rear end and literally beat it out, but that didn't work. there are about 12 bolts holding everything together, so after that was all taken apart, the broken piece just fell out. about 2 extra hours total.

Well I broke mine last night at the track too lol. So maybe you could give me a little better description of what EXACTLY had to be done to get the broken piece out. It would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS!!!

TimmyC
10-29-11, 11:52 PM
Mine broke today in the same place, inside the diff. I think the carrier might be damaged from the axle chunks right where the axle goes through the bearing. There is about .010 clearance now where there should be 0-.001. I'm worried it would vibrate.

1madstsv
10-31-11, 05:32 AM
What are you guys doing to you cars your killing them faster than flys. I drive my car like I stoal it and I have no whine our any broken parts after 80+ runs. Do I need to come show you guys how to drive these cars fast. LoL just kidding shit happens. Mine will brake it's just a matter of when. I tought it would have been a long time ago to he honest. Ryan

leija_01
10-31-11, 11:01 AM
Well I broke mine last night at the track too lol. So maybe you could give me a little better description of what EXACTLY had to be done to get the broken piece out. It would be MUCH appreciated. THANKS!!!

Mine broke today in the same place, inside the diff. I think the carrier might be damaged from the axle chunks right where the axle goes through the bearing. There is about .010 clearance now where there should be 0-.001. I'm worried it would vibrate.

Patience first.
of course, take rear wheels off, I also took off the exhaust and the driveshaft. more space to work with once all that is gone. brake system needs to come off as well. after all that, start by removing once CV Shaft at a time. once they are out, you want to drop whats left of the rear end. once that is out, open up the casing and prepare to be amazed lol. once you open the casing, determine wether you want to hammer/press out the remaining piece of the broken shaft. once you get it out, it's best to put the casing in the parts washer. get er all cleaned up and be prepared to put her all back together. I wish I had taken pictures of the steps i took to do this. sorry guys. the biggest pain in the a$$ was getting the rear end opened. while you are there it'd be a good idea to replace the wheel hub of the side that broke. Once I had mine all put back toghether, I didn't do this and when I took her out for a drive, the abs light kicked on and had to replace it. you will notice a bit of a grind but nothing that would drive you crazy. MAKE SURE TO USE THE LIMITED SLIP FLUID MIX ALONG WITH UR GEAR OIL. This was another PAIN IN THE A$$... the angle that the filler hole is at is a major headache.

any questions, just let me know.

cmross97
11-02-11, 09:59 AM
Patience first.
of course, take rear wheels off, I also took off the exhaust and the driveshaft. more space to work with once all that is gone. brake system needs to come off as well. after all that, start by removing once CV Shaft at a time. once they are out, you want to drop whats left of the rear end. once that is out, open up the casing and prepare to be amazed lol. once you open the casing, determine wether you want to hammer/press out the remaining piece of the broken shaft. once you get it out, it's best to put the casing in the parts washer. get er all cleaned up and be prepared to put her all back together. I wish I had taken pictures of the steps i took to do this. sorry guys. the biggest pain in the a$$ was getting the rear end opened. while you are there it'd be a good idea to replace the wheel hub of the side that broke. Once I had mine all put back toghether, I didn't do this and when I took her out for a drive, the abs light kicked on and had to replace it. you will notice a bit of a grind but nothing that would drive you crazy. MAKE SURE TO USE THE LIMITED SLIP FLUID MIX ALONG WITH UR GEAR OIL. This was another PAIN IN THE A$$... the angle that the filler hole is at is a major headache.

any questions, just let me know.

Does the whole differential need to be taken out of the car?

Also I was thinking about taking out both axles and driving out the broken off stub from the other side.....I just wasnt sure if the cross pin in the carrier was too much in the way.

leija_01
11-07-11, 08:44 PM
dropping the whole thing might be easier, i did mine in sections. PITA!!!

TimmyC
11-07-11, 09:28 PM
You can probably pop the broken piece out from the other side but it's better to take the center section out and open it up. There will be axle chunks in there and you can take the opportunity to change the fluid too. Also check to see if the diff is damaged. Lots of diffs get damaged from the broken axle. I sleeved my diff and replaced the axle with a stock one for now. I am going to get billet stubs and 4340 axles from Gforce in the spring.

cmross97
11-08-11, 07:03 AM
Uggghhh ok. How does the center section come out? looks like it unbolts from driver side of the diff as from the pics i've seen. Do you have to take the pinion gear out first of can it stay in? What do you mean when you say "sleeved my diff" ?

TimmyC
11-08-11, 06:37 PM
Uggghhh ok. How does the center section come out? looks like it unbolts from driver side of the diff as from the pics i've seen. Do you have to take the pinion gear out first of can it stay in? What do you mean when you say "sleeved my diff" ?

The center section is held on with 3 big bolts. Two at the back on top and one near the front. Then the 6 allen bolts for the driveshaft. Once you get the center section out you can take the side cover out and pop the diff out. You don't have to take the pinion gear off.

I had one of the machinists at work bore the hole that the axle goes through and sleeve it with bushing material. Then the bushing material is bored to the correct dimension. It may or may not be worth it to you to pursue this route. I get a relatively good rate on machining and some of it was done off the clock. Used center sections are about $350. If you don't have a machine shop connection it may not be worth it to fix yours.

mikey06d3
11-12-11, 04:43 PM
Same thing happen to mine where can I buy that same part the cv shaft ? Link or number would help thanks

TimmyC
11-12-11, 05:17 PM
Car-part.com

mikey06d3
11-12-11, 07:12 PM
They don't have for a v does the regular sts use the same as the stsv?

TimmyC
11-12-11, 07:20 PM
Yes, all the RWD axles are the same. I paid $50 for mine last week.

Have fun talking to junk yard guys on the phone. 90% of them are dicks.

mikey06d3
11-12-11, 08:38 PM
Lol I'll work with them I deal with *******s all the time at my business lol

mikey06d3
11-12-11, 09:52 PM
I found it at autozone dura last for 75 dollars brandnew I no dura last isn't good but it's lifetime warranty so what you guys think is it a good idea ?

TimmyC
11-12-11, 11:46 PM
I found it at autozone dura last for 75 dollars brandnew I no dura last isn't good but it's lifetime warranty so what you guys think is it a good idea ?

That's probably fine. I don't know if they are stronger or weaker than stock though, I bet not stronger. I'd get a used stock one I think.

mikey06d3
11-13-11, 01:13 AM
But the thing if it's used than there's no warranty thats life time and also u wouldnt know how it was driven

Xtreme70SS
11-13-11, 09:43 AM
But the thing if it's used than there's no warranty thats life time and also u wouldnt know how it was driven

LOL, you mean it might have been driven like you drive?

The thing with cheap parts - at what point will they fail, and will you be prepared for it when it does? The fact it's got a lifetime warranty won't help when you're doing ?mph on the highway, maybe heading around a curve, and it lets go. Failure with stock units seem to happen only during hard launch/wheel hop. Will a cheaper unit hold up as well?

Personally, I'd buy the strongest unit you can when it come time to replace.

mikey06d3
11-13-11, 04:15 PM
Well ya wasnt driven like how I drove mine l

But the duralast is remanufacture they take the oem parts the broke fix them put them together and sell them so basically it's the oem but fixed it even has the Cadillac part number on it like oem so Its a pretty good idea and special if it's lifetime warranty , it's like your getting a axle from Cadillac but for a cheaper price and life tone warranty so this is a hell of a deal

1madstsv
11-13-11, 06:44 PM
Their is no way that they fixed a broken hafe shaft. It may have a oem part # but it is not a gm piece. Buy the part from gm our a junk yard if you want it to last. At 140 mph I want the correct factory part not a hafe price autozone part.
And also I drive my car harder than any one else on hear and it holds up fine. Is all in how you drive and knowing what you can and can't do with this car. If you keep driving the way you are nothing will hold up. It's a 4500lbs car not a civic.
Hear in case you don't no how I treat my car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIng9Wr1Qts&feature=youtube_gdata_player

TimmyC
11-13-11, 08:15 PM
Zone could easily be replacing the part that broke and reselling the axles. Sounds like Mike is set on the Autozone unit.

leija_01
11-14-11, 09:50 PM
I bought mine from the dealer. 2 years now and still going strong!

mikey06d3
11-15-11, 02:06 AM
The dealer wants 600 I'm not about to do that lol

1madstsv
11-15-11, 11:45 AM
The dealer wants 600 I'm not about to do that lol
You need to pay if you want to play. And with this car you need to pay double.

TimmyC
11-15-11, 12:08 PM
You need to pay if you want to play. And with this car you need to pay double.

I disagree. A junkyard axle for 50 bucks will last just as long as one from the dealer for 600. Stay out of wheel hop and you'll be fine.

550HP STSV
11-15-11, 01:43 PM
Yes, all the RWD axles are the same. I paid $50 for mine last week.

Have fun talking to junk yard guys on the phone. 90% of them are dicks.

Thanks bud

1madstsv
11-15-11, 02:17 PM
I disagree. A junkyard axle for 50 bucks will last just as long as one from the dealer for 600. Stay out of wheel hop and you'll be fine.
I was talking in general with this car. You know $1,200 CAI. $1,500 pullys. $5,000 custom wheels. That sort of thing. We all know that there are cheaper options out there if you take the time and effort to find them.

TimmyC
11-15-11, 05:38 PM
Thanks bud

I did say 90% ;) I've never talked to you on the phone but I have talked to many, many yard guys that act like I am imposing on them by attempting to buy parts.

TimmyC
11-15-11, 05:40 PM
I was talking in general with this car. You know $1,200 CAI. $1,500 pullys. $5,000 custom wheels. That sort of thing. We all know that there are cheaper options out there if you take the time and effort to find them.

Yeah, you're right about that. I thought you meant that you had to spend that kind of dough to get anything good.

mikey06d3
11-16-11, 02:47 AM
So this is what's up I bought a oem brand new axle for 150 :) and family friend that's a mechanic gets it at that price so 150 brand new no one can beat that price and as far as my car the axle piece broke inside ao now since I couldn't do it at home time for a shap to take over but I gave it to my family friend so it should be that expense so overall brand new axle , professionally done right, and tow the car from the track to my house then from my house to the mechanic cost me around 600 including parts labor and towing 60 miles all together so I got a hell of a deal