: My mystery coolant leak solved!

jebfrank
10-10-09, 09:49 PM
My cat has had coolant leaks on again and off again throughout its stay, All of the common ones have turned up under my hood.

The car has had its current leak for about a year and lately it had gotten alot worst so I decide to check in and see what going on. Before I was averaging around 400-500 miles before I had to top off the overflow bottle, lately its been every 30 miles:(

This morning I decided to tear into the engine and see what going on. It has the usually coolant leak symptoms, leaking coolant from what appears to be coming from the drivers side rear of the motor and dripping off the bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing. After I remove the plenum and runners I shined a flashlight down in the valley and it was bone dry. Next I checked all of the coolant lines and HBV at the rear of the engine and they to were dry. Next I went on the mission of removing more items to get a look at the rear of the engine. I removed the wipers and motor, ignition coil and bracket "PITA" then I was finally able for the first time see the back of my catera motor and where my coolant leak was coming from.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1037&pictureid=5328

This is a picture of my drivers side head with what appears to have a coolant leak coming from the center of the head. The coolant has been running along the small shelf on the top of the block and on to the left exhaust manifold where it is then burnt off leavinga pleasent smell in my car.

What sucks is I have been in the process of trading the Catera for a Saab. I have picked up a bottle of Bars Headgasket Stop Leak and am going to see if it will slow my leak down. I figure at this point I have nothing else to loose!

xanax06
11-01-09, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the same mystery leak. No visuals of coolant, just the smell, and low radiator level.
Ive never tried Bars Headgasket Stop Leak.
Have you looked into K&W Block Sealer?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t959119-k_amp_w_block_sealer_after_failed_head_swap.html

Army_MP_From_MO
11-02-09, 07:11 PM
I had the same mystery leak. HCV and it's fixed. No puddles, coolant smell and having to top off all the time.

jebfrank
11-02-09, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the same mystery leak. No visuals of coolant, just the smell, and low radiator level.
Ive never tried Bars Headgasket Stop Leak.
Have you looked into K&W Block Sealer?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t959119-k_amp_w_block_sealer_after_failed_head_swap.html

The Bars Headgasket Stop Leak fixed my problem. Car runs great again.

eastsidercaddy
11-07-09, 08:03 AM
kinda off topic but if you have any other engine oil leaks then using Bar's Rear Main Seal Engine Stop Leak with seal up any engine oil leaks. This stuff gets the job done! I had my oil changed at the chevy dealer i worked for and all the techs made fun of how much oil i was leaking. Then in put in a bottle of the stop leak and now its completely DRY on the bottom!

xanax06
11-12-09, 07:19 PM
I had the same mystery leak. HCV and it's fixed. No puddles, coolant smell and having to top off all the time.

Did you replace the HCV yourself?

Army_MP_From_MO
11-14-09, 01:33 PM
Did you replace the HCV yourself?

No, unfortunately, working from 5am to 5pm makes this soldier a lil lazy when it comes to repairs. lol

xanax06
11-23-09, 07:40 AM
No, unfortunately, working from 5am to 5pm makes this soldier a lil lazy when it comes to repairs. lol

Roger that.
I finally got mine done.
Once you get the wipers, and the plastic covers off, it not really that hard.
Theres a panel down under the cab fresh air filter that gives you access.

FYI: When putting the plastic liners back in, be careful, the rubber strip is at the bottom of the windshield. I used a screw driver to flip the strip up and broke a tiny chip off the wind shield.