: thermostat housing gasket? 99 sts

politjunkie
10-10-09, 06:08 PM
putting the thermostat housing back on, new thermostat with the rubber gasket on the thermostat, the housing looks like when whoever was in here last took the housing off they used black silicone gasket on the housing, i asked at autozone and they said there was no gasket for the housing, just the rubber one on the thermostat, is that correct and if so should i still use some silicone to double protect leaking at the housing?

politjunkie
10-10-09, 06:33 PM

Ranger
10-10-09, 06:41 PM
There has to be a gasket.

politjunkie
10-10-09, 06:44 PM
There has to be a gasket.

THere is the rubber one on the thermostat, but the hayes manual and autozone computer show no gasket... i am going to use a silicone just to be safe

Submariner409
10-10-09, 07:13 PM
The thermostat is sealed by an O-ring and is secured by the two-bolt clamp ring. There is no gasket or seal for the clamp ring and none is needed.

The water pump cover gasket (for a 2002) is p/n #12573948. There is a redesigned cover and gasket for the late 90's series. That's the cover with 4 bolts and a hose connection shown.......Try a GM dealer or Rock Auto. $ 2.75. A sort of formed O-ring seal.

Get a real GM/Helm manual or subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com

Ranger
10-10-09, 07:27 PM
OK, gasket or O ring, but I guess I meant that there had to be some type of seal.