: The Official Warranty Friendly Mod for More Power Thread.

nradcad
10-09-09, 07:27 PM
On the heels of the vette blown engine thread, I'd like to understand what changes can be made to the V2 without killing the factory warrantee coverage that might yield some added power.

It could be that this isn't possible, and every mod to increase power will void warranty coverage. However, I figured there are many more people much more knowledgeable than I on this subject and I'd like to try and come to a census about what can and cannot be altered.

my quick searching did not find a thread that addressed this comprehensively.
I'm tired of :banghead: trying to understand what limitations exist. I thought it'd be nice to lay them all out.

For example, intakes? What can be done with respect to intakes and how much power can be obtained. Or is it simply every mod should also have a retune so, there you are. You can't do anything, since all tunes void warranties.

jzchen
10-09-09, 07:48 PM
I'm afraid I'm quite new to the Cadillac tuning world, but I've checked all the manufacturers of intakes that I usually check and all of them don't have one for the V2 yet, (K&N, AEM, Injen, aFe, AIRAID, Fujita 5, even Volant which I don't usually check). Since some are turning to a synthetic fiber filter there might not be a concern there, but there is concern about the cotton fiber filters not being good for forced induction engines.

I guess the best bet in not avoiding warranty is an exhaust. In the BMW 3.0 TT there have been issues because it has a dual mode exhaust with a vacuum tube to actuate a flap inside but I'm not familiar with the system on the V.

nradcad
10-09-09, 08:00 PM
I really would like to stick to what people absolutely know to be true. For example, using a Corsa exhaust XXX will not void your warrantee and here's why. I've confirmed this through this. Otherwise it turns into a bunch of speculative nonsense.

Hawkeye2
10-09-09, 08:19 PM
I would think for sure you could examine anything in the GM high performance catalog at the dealership. They have exhaust, brakes,
and I think even a performance tune right at the dealership.

Fubar75207
10-09-09, 08:19 PM
I was told by my dealer tech that a cat back system is warranty safe. I can't imagine anything else (that would actually add power) they would let you get away with.

nradcad
10-09-09, 08:38 PM
I would think for sure you could examine anything in the GM high performance catalog at the dealership. They have exhaust, brakes,
and I think even a performance tune right at the dealership.

really, interesting. The dealer will perform a warranty safe performance tune? I didn't know a "GM high performance catalog at the dealership" even existed.

Has anyone every ordered anything from it and have any experience using this stuff?

nradcad
10-09-09, 08:40 PM
I was told by my dealer tech that a cat back system is warranty safe. I can't imagine anything else (that would actually add power) they would let you get away with.

Cat back exhausts. Do we have examples of some good ones that people have used?

neuronbob
10-09-09, 08:52 PM
I was told by my dealer tech that a cat back system is warranty safe.

My servicing dealer told me the same. They also mentioned intakes were safe. Tunes were most definitely NOT OK. I asked directly and honestly about all of these at my first service and I appreciated the straight answers.

nradcad
10-09-09, 09:01 PM
My servicing dealer told me the same. They also mentioned intakes were safe. Tunes were most definitely NOT OK. I asked directly and honestly about all of these at my first service and I appreciated the straight answers.

what about this dealer performance tune?

nradcad
10-09-09, 09:02 PM

what type of intakes? Mods to the stock box? CAI type intakes like from AFE? What kinds?

Mike 09 V
10-10-09, 11:26 AM
One of the local Cadillac dealers here in Arizona does a lot of performance work on Caddys. When I was shopping for my V I visited their lot and the only new black one they had was stickered at over 80K. It had flat black on the hood bulge and some flat black decal type stuff on the sides with a built in logo that said Super V. The tail lights were red/black as well as some other cosmetic stuff. The main thing was that the engine had a tune and the pulley and they claimed 600 HP. All this with the factory warranty. I liked the engine idea but otherwise the look didn't appeal to me as well as the price.

Two days ago I got a call from the dealership telling me that my long time service contact had left and introducing me to the new guy. This gave me an opportunity to ask some questions that I have been thinking about re: Dealer turning versus aftermarket and warranty issues. This is what he told me.

First he said-If the dealer does it it doesn't void factory warranty. Then I asked about the codes and flashing and the GM bulletin and this same discussion on this forum and then he said that I should bring the car back to the dealer that installed the mods for any repair. Then I asked "Well what if I am out of state and have to go to another dealer?" His answer was-"Have them contact us and we will pay them!"
This tells me that even if a dealer does it it voids the warranty! It tells me that unless you have it in writing from the dealer senior management, something that will hold up in a lawsuit, you are still walking on thin ice. My car is going to stay stock until I feel more comfortable with the answers.

nradcad
10-10-09, 11:44 AM
what frustrates me is it appears that not even the dealers know what can and cannot be done.

wfo
10-10-09, 11:56 AM
One of the local Cadillac dealers here in Arizona does a lot of performance work on Caddys. When I was shopping for my V I visited their lot and the only new black one they had was stickered at over 80K. It had flat black on the hood bulge and some flat black decal type stuff on the sides with a built in logo that said Super V. The tail lights were red/black as well as some other cosmetic stuff. The main thing was that the engine had a tune and the pulley and they claimed 600 HP. All this with the factory warranty. I liked the engine idea but otherwise the look didn't appeal to me as well as the price.

Two days ago I got a call from the dealership telling me that my long time service contact had left and introducing me to the new guy. This gave me an opportunity to ask some questions that I have been thinking about re: Dealer turning versus aftermarket and warranty issues. This is what he told me.

First he said-If the dealer does it it doesn't void factory warranty. Then I asked about the codes and flashing and the GM bulletin and this same discussion on this forum and then he said that I should bring the car back to the dealer that installed the mods for any repair. Then I asked "Well what if I am out of state and have to go to another dealer?" His answer was-"Have them contact us and we will pay them!"
This tells me that even if a dealer does it it voids the warranty! It tells me that unless you have it in writing from the dealer senior management, something that will hold up in a lawsuit, you are still walking on thin ice. My car is going to stay stock until I feel more comfortable with the answers.

I'm confused...didn't you just say, your Dealer told you if you had the mods installed by them it wouldn't void the warranty?

I'm assuming a dealership letterhead service document indicating what was performed follows the work, no?

So then:

1.Why would you be on thin ice?

2. Why does what your dealer told you imply voiding of the warranty?

:stirpot:

Mike 09 V
10-10-09, 06:17 PM
I'm confused...didn't you just say, your Dealer told you if you had the mods installed by them it wouldn't void the warranty?

I'm assuming a dealership letterhead service document indicating what was performed follows the work, no?

So then:

1.Why would you be on thin ice?

2. Why does what your dealer told you imply voiding of the warranty?

:stirpot:

It is my belief that if a mod was done by a Cadillac dealer and it DIDN'T void the warranty then any Cadillac (or GM dealer for that matter) could repair it with no questions asked. However if you have to call the dealer that did the mods and THEY pay for it, rather than the factory it seems likely that the warranty is void from GM. The reason for the document is that a dealer could easily say "We told the customer that he would void his warranty if we did this work." How else could you force them to pay if suddenly they decided to renege on the deal they made? Would you trust them to replace a $14K motor just on their word? Not me.

The Tony Show
10-10-09, 06:31 PM
GM is the one who warranties the car (not the Dealer), so they can make no claims that their modifications don't void the warranty. They might cover damage caused by the mods they installed, but Cadillac and GM certainly won't. From the owner's manual:

What is not covered

Damaged caused as a result of any of the following is not covered:

- Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle

- Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is described in the owner's manual

- Alteration or modification to the vehicle including the body, chassis or components after final assembly by GM

- Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or the mileage cannot be determined.

So technically, damage that can be blamed on ANY part that wasn't there when it left the factory can cause a warranty claim to be denied. Most service departments are fine with catback exhausts, but everything else is a crapshoot depending on where you take it, what kind of mood they're in, the alignment of the planets, etc.

nradcad
10-10-09, 08:35 PM
GM is the one who warranties the car (not the Dealer), so they can make no claims that their modifications don't void the warranty. They might warrant damage caused by the mods they installed, but Cadillac and GM certainly won't. From the owner's manual:

So technically, damage that can be blamed on ANY part that wasn't there when it left the factory can cause a warranty claim to be denied. Most service departments are fine with catback exhausts, but everything else is a crapshoot depending on where you take it, what kind of mood they're in, the alignment of the planets, etc.

freezing? So if you car sits out overnight in Detroit, as I'm sure a whole lot do, and it gets below 0C, and something breaks as a result, they won't cover it? Someone should tell GM that people expect their cars to be designed to work below freezing.

neuronbob
10-10-09, 11:10 PM
what type of intakes? Mods to the stock box? CAI type intakes like from AFE? What kinds?

Of course, I did not ask that level of detail. I'm sure they wouldn't like anything that uses an oiled filter attached to the CAI as those mess up our MAFs.

Not really relevant to me, as the only "CAI" I plan is removal of the floor of the stock airbox.

nradcad
10-11-09, 03:11 PM
I'll tell ya what I'd like to know. I'd like the engine to be louder in the cabin. I wonder if messin with the airbox would result in that.

MReiland
10-11-09, 09:18 PM
freezing? So if you car sits out overnight in Detroit, as I'm sure a whole lot do, and it gets below 0C, and something breaks as a result, they won't cover it? Someone should tell GM that people expect their cars to be designed to work below freezing.

It may not be worded the best but you would be suprised at the things that have happened to peoples cars when they are frozen. I think the modern power windows are smart but in the previous generation people would hold the down on and overheat the motors, have the doors frozen shut by going through the car wash on a below freezing day then rip off one of the door handles trying to get back in... Scratching the paint trying to clear snow and sleet.... Just be happy in Houston.

ComnetCA
10-11-09, 09:31 PM
Technically, any modification done to the car will not void your warranty. Only if that modification was the reason why X broke will be voided. Example your aftermarket intake caused your fuel injectors to clog up, Cadillac would not cover your fuel injector and void that part of the warranty.