: Mobile 1 Clean High Mileage

jcresciSTS
10-08-09, 11:34 PM
Got my oil changed at SpeeDee's again today. Oil was probably at 14% OLM but due to an electrical "glitch" the other night it reset to 100% and dropped to 99% by today when I got the oil changed. I stuck with the $39.99 Chevron 10w-30 package. He tried to up sell me to a $69.99 Mobile 1 Clean Premium Oil that they just got in but I didn't have the money for it so I passed.

My car has 130k on it...at what point is High Mileage?

Also, my OLM is at 98% so I'm guessing they never reset it. Pushing the Reset button doesn't work and I tried the "push on the accelerator 3 times" thing but that didn't work. I guess its not a big issue since its only 2% lower than what it should be.

eyekandyboats.inc
10-09-09, 12:30 AM
i take it this is your first oil change on the car?
i doubt the wrenches at speedee would know how to re set it.- also i believe your car requires 5W30
all you have to do if hold dow the info rest button till you see a XXX across the screen and hold it down for like 2-4 seconds till it re reads 100 %

Submariner409
10-09-09, 12:14 PM
jcresci, You have to hold the INFO RESET button down for 5-6 seconds and your car engine is spec'd for 10W-30 oils. 2% is nothing to worry about.

The "High Mileage" oils usually have a slightly higher ZDDP anti-scuff package than standard "Energy Conserving" oils. Your engine uses flat tappet hydraulic cam followers (which require an anti-scuff package) as opposed to the 2000+ which use roller followers adjusted by static hydraulic lash adjusters. You can safely change to one of the "truck" or "fleet" oils like Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO, or Pennzoil Long Life. You'll notice that these oils have a SAE rating circle which is not the fuzzy "starburst" symbol of an Energy Conserving oil because of the higher additive package - so it's not approved by our EPA for general automotive use. The additive packages were decreased with the change to SL and SM oils in the early 00's, so you need to go to a "tougher" oil.

Ranger
10-09-09, 01:45 PM
He tried to up sell me to a $69.99 Mobile 1 Clean Premium Oil
Good Lord, that is highway robbery. Good thing you didn't have the money. Just follow Subs advice and use a 10W30 oil. Learn to do it yourself and save money.

jcresciSTS
10-09-09, 09:31 PM
Actually this is my 3rd time to them, the first time I went they used the wrong oil viscosity but I didn't realize it til after my last one.

I would like to learn to do it myself but I mainly go so in the event I sell the car I have paper documenting when the oil changes were done and what was done. I think this is my last time going there though and I'm just going to go to my girlfriends step dad and give him some more business.

So next time I will upgrade to the Pennzoil Long Life and have him to do it for me and that should save me a good chunk of money.

ryannel2003
10-09-09, 10:12 PM
To be honest most possible prospective buyers would be more interested in the car if it was serviced at the dealership. Places like Jiffy Lube, etc. usually don't know what they are doing when it comes to certain cars, especially Cadillac's. I've had my oil changed at my dealership since I owned the car, and the original owners always had it done there too.

My oil change and tire rotation at my dealer runs around $45. GM is running a special right now at dealerships for a $39.99 deal for both.

Submariner409
10-10-09, 11:23 AM
This is sort of "Six of one, a half dozen of the other........" when it comes to resale and documentation. If you do most of your own work at home and keep computer printout records and sales receipts that's almost as good in a private transaction as dealer invoices. As far as trade-in or flat dealer sale.......they take every piece of paper you so meticulously kept and shred it all. There is NO information turned over the the new owner except maybe an owner's manual. If asked, most will not even know who or how to reach the previous owner. 99.999% of new CF members do not know of the GM VIS system, and many dealer service writers will not, or are very reluctant to, furnish the printout.

We in here take care and pride in our cars and mechanical maintenance - the rest of the car world is like TV's: It's throwaway technology and could care less. Heck, we get new members every day who have no idea how to reset the Oil Life Monitor. Do you think they would read repair invoices ???

ryannel2003
10-10-09, 04:14 PM
Since I work at my dealer and the car was bought from there brand new I was able to get a copy of every record on my car. I have a pretty decently full folder of oil changes, warranty work, etc. I was even able to snag the original invoice since my car didn't have a window sticker with it.

It makes me feel a little better about buying the car knowing it was taken care of before I bought it.

jcresciSTS
10-10-09, 11:31 PM
Him, I thought the dealer would be more expensive. Its actually $29.99 @ SpeeDee then $20 for Labor so $53 with taxes for an oil change.

That is true though about most people not caring...plus I may never sell this car! :D