: Funky electrical issues...and more

thefred
10-08-09, 05:07 PM
So, for the last few days, the car had been hard to start and the Service Engine Soon light came on. While driving, the screen would go blank with the audio still working and then the screen would come back on. My dirver's door handle required 4 pulls for it to open.

So, I finally go to take it in. I had recently put in an Optima red top and the AAA guy had to change the bolt to make it work. The dealer calls me back this morning to tell me that the connection to the battery was not good and that they replaced the bolt back to the correct one and everything is fine. But, of course, that is not a warranty item so I get to pay them $110 for this wonderful service. And, of course, they say this corrected all of the electrical problems. We'll see....

But, here's where it gets good. My service writer is on vacation this week. So I get this jackleg that I had dealt with previously on my CTS. My STS-V was in last month for an oil change. No other services required-36,000 miles. Jackleg calls me up and says that there is a recommended rear diff service and throttle body service necessary because it looks pretty dirty. From other posts I have read, you can't even see the throttle body on this car unless you take apart half of the engine compartment. This a**hat tried to pull the same crap with me on my CTS 3 1/2 years ago! See below post!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/62409-throttle-blade-assembly-service.html

And people in the industry wonder why everyone considers them to be theives. I know there are bad apples in every bunch, but I had GM and the service manager involved in this the last time and its clear that 3 1/2 years later, the same scam upsell is going on. Guys that behave like this deserve whatever they get! You can be sure that I will just walk for a few days if my regular service guy is out again.

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-08-09, 05:50 PM
First, I installed the red top battery and it didn't require a different bolt. The stock ones worked as they should. Yes, Hard to get threaded but that is because of the angle and space you have to get in there, not because its the wrong size.

I haven't had ANY problems with Hennesy Cadillac in Gwinnet Place. Top notch STS-V treatment there. Ask for Glen Phelts in service. He handles all my issues. Tell him the crazy guy with the lowered Black STS-V sent ya. (I pulled in to the shop bay one day to drop off my car to be serviced and I drove in wearing my race helmet with the mirrored visor pulled down.)

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-08-09, 05:53 PM
Glad to see you back on the boards. We'll have to meet up so you can test drive my car. Lowered, Wait4Me race tune, D3 Stage 1 and Stage 2 intake. I would be interested to see if you notice any difference ;-)

PSRmark
10-10-09, 06:41 AM
I originally started as a tech in a dealership so I got to see all the stuff you are talking about first hand.

I think the best part of your story is where you catch them red handed with the whole "your throttle body looks pretty dirty" BS.

I was lucky...I had the best service writer. She was the whole reason why I worked for my previous dealership for 8yrs.

CIWS
10-10-09, 10:52 AM
I remember on the CTS-V taking it to the dealer for an oil change around 16K miles and having them call me and say "my cabin air filter was dirty and needed to be changed" which I told them to hold off and I would take care of it. When I pulled it out and looked at it I was like WTF, It wasn't that bad yet ? So I took pictures of it and went back to my Service Advisor and asked why was I told this needed to be changed when it obviously either wasn't actually looked at or I was lied to. She responded "Oh well we go by the mileage on the car" To which I said fine, I'll just remember not to follow any more recommended maintenance unless I can verify it myself.

CIWS
10-10-09, 10:54 AM
I was lucky...I had the best service writer. She was the whole reason why I worked for my previous dealership for 8yrs.

Mark, from your experience on the STS-V have you seen where the throttle body needs to be cleaned as early as 30K miles ?

PSRmark
10-10-09, 12:54 PM
Mark, from your experience on the STS-V have you seen where the throttle body needs to be cleaned as early as 30K miles ?

In most cases no, but occasionally I come across one that will need it. (this would be for any vehicle)

On the STS-V I probably wouldn't recc. it until 50k or so and even then I would have to go off of mileage because it just takes way to long to inspect it. I would call it "suggested" maintenance but not "required".