: Lockpick questions

Heath
10-07-09, 09:20 PM
I am buying a 2006 STS V tomorrow, and I want to get a lockpick for it. Has anyone figured out for sure if you need to modify the Lockpick since the 06 V series has the mute button? I have read conflicting info. I have had a couple of Lockpicks and they all worked fantastic. If the Lockpick does need to be modified does anyone have a schmeatic that shows what needs to be done?

BTW, anyone have a stage II peformance kit for sale?:lildevil:

MacMuse
10-08-09, 05:10 PM
The semi-official lockpick thread lives over in the STS area - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/170225-official-sts-lockpick-thread.html

LITTLEELVISDAN
10-08-09, 05:13 PM
TheFred has a harness installed. Can't remember where he got it from.

thefred
10-08-09, 06:03 PM
TheFred has a harness installed. Can't remember where he got it from.

Actually, its still sitting in the box. I got it from Tomm though.

ssstealth
10-08-09, 10:37 PM
I have the lockpick on my 2006 V and it works great. You do have to order the one with the switch.

Heath
10-10-09, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the input. Due to the other thread about Tomms lockpicks getting locked up and the mad saying he was not a vendor anymore, I didnt realize he was still making them. I called Coastal Tech and they said that the standard Lockpick they sell will work on a 06 STS V. So now im actuall more confused. I dont ming getting Tomms but It would be more simple to go with the regular one. One more important question maybe someone can answer for me, When Im playing a DVD the buttons never disappear from the screen, no matter what I press or how long I wait. Is this normal for an 06 or is there something Im missing, or is there a problem with my nav? Anyone with an 06 have this problem? Thanks!

Redxped1
10-10-09, 08:01 PM
mine is like that but it goes away if you touch the screan when it is playing

Heath
10-11-09, 03:37 AM
I did everything BUT touch the bare screen. :rant2:

Heath
10-11-09, 03:39 AM
Not to beat a dead horse butr has anyone actually TRIED to use a regular lockpick wiht an 06 V? Coastal is assuring me 100% it will in fact work. Thanks!

Heath
10-12-09, 11:41 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered the standard Lockpick after talking to Brett at Coastal E Tech TWICE and confirming with him 100% , that he says the lockpick will work on a 06 V with the mute button on the left side of the wheel. He said it is the function of the radio being muted off and on and not a specific wire coming from the wheel that activates the Lockpick. He guranteed that he knows for a fact it will work of they will give my money back. Ill let you guys know tomorrow after I give it a try.

leija_01
10-14-09, 11:17 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered the standard Lockpick after talking to Brett at Coastal E Tech TWICE and confirming with him 100% , that he says the lockpick will work on a 06 V with the mute button on the left side of the wheel. He said it is the function of the radio being muted off and on and not a specific wire coming from the wheel that activates the Lockpick. He guranteed that he knows for a fact it will work of they will give my money back. Ill let you guys know tomorrow after I give it a try.

let us know! I am really interested in getting a lockpick!

tomm
10-15-09, 12:30 PM
Unless they recently changed something with their units and I have not become aware of it the 2006 will not fully work with the 2007+ lockpick. There is a reason why Coastal advertises this unit as a 2007-2009 STS Lockpick. I will explain below. My guess is they are hoping it will work and if it doesn't big deal you have to pay to send it back for a refund.

In tests we have done over a year ago it would work partially on some late model 2006's and not work on some early 2007's since there was a change in the navigation security.

On early models the Navigation unit had an extra safety feature which locked the navigation functions if the GPS Antenna signal showed the vehicle moving over 8MPH, In later model units this safetly lock seemed to be removed.

The 2007+ STS Lockpick does not interupt the GPS Signal when activated so if installed in earlier models the lockpick will not work (Unless you are lucky enough to have a late dated head unit). This is why we created the modified lockpick which also includes a GPS Antenna adapter which deactivates the GPS Signal when activated. We have sold many 2007+ Lockpicks to folks with 2007's and they had to get the modified units since it did not work in their early model 2007's so its hit or miss.

As for the status of my threads my authorized vendor membership to the site expired and I was only informed today so we resigned back up. Not sure why they would not contact us first before they locked the threads up.

Our prices and support are better than Coastal so if anyone else is interested please let me know.

Heath
10-15-09, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help Tomm! I just got the Lockpick yesterday evening due to UPS sucking severely bad (long story) and I havent had a chance to try it out. The V has been at the stealership all week due to a knocking noise in the front end and headlights full of water. I went up there today to go ahead and put the lockpick in and see if it will work. They had my car at a detail shop up the road. Well I went up the the detail shop and found that they had sprayed something on my wheels that made the coating peel off all four wheels. You could literally wipe it off with you hand. I called the service guy, who didnt answer, but did call me right back. This fool tried to tell me " that between you and the detal place". I said " I DIDNT TAKE THE MOTEHR F ER TO THAT PLACE YOU DID!!!." He started stuttering and said he would call me back, and before he got off the phone I told him "you just pushed the wrong button man". I went back up to the dealer and dropped the guy in the grease with the GSM who said he had had that problem with him before and he would take care of it. The dealership I bought the car from and have been using has been fantastic to us up till that that issue so I have confidince they will fix it. A little off topic rant there sorry! Point being that I have had bigger fish to fry besides the Lockpick.

Tomm I will be ordering a Lockpick from you for sure if the regular one wont work. Like I said before I figured if I didn have to install the switch then it would be that much less headache, especially since I use the front lighter plug for my radar detector. I also want to say I never meant to disparage you , If I did, about my vendor comment. I simply havent been on here long and didnt know what the situation may be. Thanks again!

silverws6ta
10-15-09, 06:33 PM
Unless they recently changed something with their units and I have not become aware of it the 2006 will not fully work with the 2007+ lockpick. There is a reason why Coastal advertises this unit as a 2007-2009 STS Lockpick. I will explain below. My guess is they are hoping it will work and if it doesn't big deal you have to pay to send it back for a refund.

In tests we have done over a year ago it would work partially on some late model 2006's and not work on some early 2007's since there was a change in the navigation security.

On early models the Navigation unit had an extra safety feature which locked the navigation functions if the GPS Antenna signal showed the vehicle moving over 8MPH, In later model units this safetly lock seemed to be removed.

The 2007+ STS Lockpick does not interupt the GPS Signal when activated so if installed in earlier models the lockpick will not work (Unless you are lucky enough to have a late dated head unit). This is why we created the modified lockpick which also includes a GPS Antenna adapter which deactivates the GPS Signal when activated. We have sold many 2007+ Lockpicks to folks with 2007's and they had to get the modified units since it did not work in their early model 2007's so its hit or miss.

As for the status of my threads my authorized vendor membership to the site expired and I was only informed today so we resigned back up. Not sure why they would not contact us first before they locked the threads up.

Our prices and support are better than Coastal so if anyone else is interested please let me know.

Tomm,

Just throwing this out there -- but for those of us that had our firmware updated in our NAV's that have '06's to the newest revision would that have a bearing on this issue? I have contemplated installing the lockpick in my vehicle as well, just curious as I'm sure there was no change in hardware, but yet software.

CW

tomm
10-16-09, 12:09 PM
Like I said in our testing it was hit or miss on the late 2006's and early 2007's, I have seen both situations.

If you followed any of my original threads you will see many had mixed results which is why Coastal pulled support for the 2005's and 2006's and only focused on the 2007+ models. Whether is was a firmware change or some difference in communication with the GM Lan Bus I was never able to nail it down and since the modified unit worked in every single vehicle it was not worth persuing.

There is not enough demand for STS Lockpicks to warrant the additional investment in more research. There are only so many 2005's & 2006's out there with the factory nav and we sell maybe 50--> 75 units a year. Coastal sells the STS Lockpick for $249.95 and we sell the modifed unit for $50 more. It takes me over an hour to do the modification + parts so I feel its still a good value for only $50 more.

Heath
10-16-09, 06:30 PM
Mine works perfectly. I drove the car for more than an hour and turned it off a few times, in and out of gear, etc... no problems whatsoever. Mine does disable the nav whil the movie is on and as soon as tou diable the lockpick the nav picks back up in just a few seconds. I would have bought Tomms to begin with, but after weighing out having to install the button vs gambling on the shipping charges with Coastal, it was worth it to me to see if the regular one would work on my car. It did, in my case, so it is just a matter of simplicity, as far as the route I went goes.

tomm
10-16-09, 06:52 PM
Good to hear... You are one of the lucky ones. Out of couriousity if you hit other buttons on the steering wheel 4 times does it also activate and re-activate? Many customers with early 2007's complained that when hitting the scan button or any button on the wheel 4x in a row it would also activate and deactivate the lockpick.

leija_01
10-16-09, 07:10 PM
so.... who do I buy from for my 06? I want one.

tomm
10-16-09, 10:19 PM
so.... who do I buy from for my 06? I want one.

Go to our site: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We sell the same unit that Coastal sells and we are cheaper and ship the same day. Give it a try... If the 2007 version does not work for you we can always just swap the harness for a modifed one.

tomm
10-16-09, 10:23 PM
Mine works perfectly. I drove the car for more than an hour and turned it off a few times, in and out of gear, etc... no problems whatsoever. Mine does disable the nav whil the movie is on and as soon as tou diable the lockpick the nav picks back up in just a few seconds. I would have bought Tomms to begin with, but after weighing out having to install the button vs gambling on the shipping charges with Coastal, it was worth it to me to see if the regular one would work on my car. It did, in my case, so it is just a matter of simplicity, as far as the route I went goes.

Also, Did you have the original firmware on the navigation unit or did you get the firmware updated at some point?

Heath
10-17-09, 09:33 PM
Good to hear... You are one of the lucky ones. Out of couriousity if you hit other buttons on the steering wheel 4 times does it also activate and re-activate? Many customers with early 2007's complained that when hitting the scan button or any button on the wheel 4x in a row it would also activate and deactivate the lockpick.

I hadnt noticed it doing that. Ill try it out Monday. Personally for me it wouldnt bother me if it did because I dont use the wheel controls much anyway. Too slow for volume and it doesnt have a skip preset function.

Heath
10-17-09, 09:35 PM
Also, Did you have the original firmware on the navigation unit or did you get the firmware updated at some point?I bought it used so I cant honestly say. I didnt realize you sold them regular ones too. I should have used my brain and assumed you did. I would have bought it from you.

jwall09
10-17-09, 10:07 PM
Go to our site: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We sell the same unit that Coastal sells and we are cheaper and ship the same day. Give it a try... If the 2007 version does not work for you we can always just swap the harness for a modifed one.

Does this one also unlock the bluetooth keypad and other features that some other lock picks do?

tomm
10-17-09, 10:11 PM
Does this one also unlock the bluetooth keypad and other features that some other lock picks do?

Yes, Lockpicks disable the speed sensor and the GM Lan signal going to the navigation unit so the navigation unit thinks you are still in park and are not moving so everything unlocks as if you were still in park.