: Hennessey Air Intake

vince del
10-06-09, 06:04 PM
I just Purchased a new 2009 CTS-V and take delivery tomorrow. I'm looking for any feed back about Hennessey's air intake replacement for stock. Their claim it increases hp by 16 to RW. Thanks,Vince del.

Titaniumseeker
10-06-09, 06:28 PM
I just Purchased a new 2009 CTS-V and take delivery tomorrow. I'm looking for any feed back about Hennessey's air intake replacement for stock. Their claim it increases hp by 16 to RW. Thanks,Vince del.

I'd be suspect of their claims of 16 RWHP with the intake. If you did not receive instructions, then you should know that you will have to 1. remove the brake duct tubing for the filter to fit down in the fender well and 2. cut, YES cut the manifold air tubing connector in order to extend the tubing to their intake. Once you do this, returning back to stock will be costly as that tubing to the manifold is not cheap. Not what I would call direct bolt on.

09BlackV
10-06-09, 06:58 PM
I'd be suspect of their claims of 16 RWHP with the intake. If you did not receive instructions, then you should know that you will have to 1. remove the brake duct tubing for the filter to fit down in the fender well and 2. cut, YES cut the manifold air tubing connector in order to extend the tubing to their intake. Once you do this, returning back to stock will be costly as that tubing to the manifold is not cheap. Not what I would call direct bolt on.
TITANIUM,
Is there any intake product currently out there that does simply bolt on and that you would suggest?

Gary Wells
10-06-09, 07:18 PM
Vince del:
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum / site. You might want to consider looking into what's referred to as the CAI modification in which the bottom of the factory air filter box is removed thereby allowing air into the bottom of the box and into the air filter. Most peeps claim that economically, it is the best way to go. Also might want to consider buying a replacement factory air box just in case for visiting the dealer. There is a thread going on this very same subject on this section of the forum now.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/181717-stock-air-box-mod.html

Titaniumseeker
10-06-09, 09:37 PM
TITANIUM,
Is there any intake product currently out there that does simply bolt on and that you would suggest?

I had the Hennessey CAI but have sent it back when I discovered that it was not exactly bolt on and required cutting a perfectly good and expensive factory tubing. I have the D3 intake which is completely bolt on. Fortunately, I will be at the tuner tomorrow where we will be performing dyno runs and comparing the stock vs the D3 CAI. I will post the results tomorrow evening.
Other bolt on kits are Wait4me's Half and Full CAI setups or New Era. I can't recommend specific bolt on system because I am still looking at them myself. I am hoping on good results from the D3 but am leary of double digit hp claims from vendors on their CAI systems. But here are some threads on this subject from others:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/175574-dyno-part-deux.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/175205-best-cold-air-intake.html

Titaniumseeker
10-07-09, 07:59 AM

A correction to my post: It is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose (PCV) connector that must be cut to extend the connection to the Hennessey intake.

09BlackV
10-08-09, 10:19 AM
A correction to my post: It is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose (PCV) connector that must be cut to extend the connection to the Hennessey intake.

strange, they claim here it is simply "BOLT ON"? Different intake? Can someone please clarify?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-CADILLAC-CTS-V-AIR-INTAKE-HENNESSEY-PERFORMANCE_W0QQitemZ320431202588QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9b 30211c

Also looking at the New Era, is it a bolt on? Which intake is perferred? Pros/Cons to both??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-CADILLAC-CTS-V-AIR-INTAKE-HENNESSEY-PERFORMANCE_W0QQitemZ320431202588QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9b 30211c

Thanks, E

Tuan_CTSV
10-08-09, 10:22 AM
Try out neweraperformance.com. Thats the one I got. I gained 40 hp with a tune.

Dave Golder
10-08-09, 11:45 AM

Our kits are very easy to install and hardly required much modification. it was nothing that $12 could not put back to stock, but also has been recently re-designed.

Any intake ordered before Oct 1st, 2009 had to have the PCV Hose cut and extended. Now all the new kits are redesigned and come with a nipple and hose extension so the factory pieces do not have to be modified.

You will be very pleased with the performance gains.

zr1vet
10-08-09, 12:11 PM
Duane,

Were you able to get to the dyno to check out the stock vs D3CAI ?

Gary Wells
10-08-09, 12:45 PM
Try out neweraperformance.com. Thats the one I got. I gained 40 hp with a tune.
Wow, that's quite an increase. Is that 40 HP or 40 RWHP? Were any other modifications involved in the HP increase? Had a tune ever been done to this car before?

Tuan_CTSV
10-08-09, 01:36 PM
Well when I went to do a base line run. My V made 460hp on a dynojet. Came back with just the intake on. And it dropped it down to 440 hp bc it was running rich. With the tune on HP Tuner, we manage to gain 40 hp and make 480hp. It was done on a dynojet, so I'm assuming WHP.

Gary Wells
10-08-09, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Tuan CTSV, for the info. I understand a little more now.

Titaniumseeker
10-08-09, 04:11 PM
Duane,

Were you able to get to the dyno to check out the stock vs D3CAI ?

Yes. I spent all day out there yesterday. The first issue I had was with the hose coupling supplied by D3. It was not the correct size for our T-bodies and thus caused a vacuum leak throwing a CEL code. Okay,so we changed the coupler and then discovered the issue with the filter being too restrictive. Jesse (Wait4Me) was correct in that the filter supplied by D3 would not be adequate for our vehicles. I actually lost over 40 HP at the wheels. My base was 506 but with the intake I was at 460 rwhp, 73 degrees temp, 36% humidity and running very rich. (I was on a Dynopak) Tried again without the filter but the MAF on our vehicles is very sensitive and unforgiving even with a 90 degree extension into the fender. The result, OEM box back on, restored to my original base. Current mods: Kooks Headers, Corsa Exhaust, 160 degree T-Stat, Wait4ME Tune.

Titaniumseeker
10-08-09, 04:21 PM
Well when I went to do a base line run. My V made 460hp on a dynojet. Came back with just the intake on. And it dropped it down to 440 hp bc it was running rich. With the tune on HP Tuner, we manage to gain 40 hp and make 480hp. It was done on a dynojet, so I'm assuming WHP.
So you got a 20 rwhp bump with the intake and a tune to correct the rich condition the intake was causing? hummmm. I firmly believe that these aftermarket intakes should be constructed of a material that will not collect heat as the the metal that I have been seeing. ABS Plastic would be a much better and efficient material to use for CAI purposes. But what do I know.... I am not a rocket scientist.

neuronbob
10-08-09, 04:22 PM
Thank you for this great information! I follow all these performance mod threads earnestly as I plan for post-warranty fun. Honestly, it is sounding like the best "CAI" solution is the stock intake mod with the bottom cut out.

wfo
10-08-09, 04:25 PM
Our kits are very easy to install and hardly required much modification. it was nothing that $12 could not put back to stock, but also has been recently re-designed.

Any intake ordered before Oct 1st, 2009 had to have the PCV Hose cut and extended. Now all the new kits are redesigned and come with a nipple and hose extension so the factory pieces do not have to be modified.

You will be very pleased with the performance gains.

Sweet! But you left out the most important part...What company is your kit, what model, what's the name of it? :crying2:

neuronbob
10-08-09, 04:29 PM
^^^^
He's referring to the Hennessey intake.

zr1vet
10-08-09, 07:14 PM
Thanks so much for the valuable information. Is your OEM box original or have you modded it by cutting out the bottom? We all appreciate you sharing your experiences with us so we can learn through them. 9" pulley next? or are you thinking of an even larger pulley?

vince del
10-08-09, 07:19 PM
Thanks For the heads-up.Vince

zevee
10-08-09, 10:46 PM
does your unit require tune or is 18 hp gain after just bolt on?