: Car shipping advice?

dhemrick
10-06-09, 02:18 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a "collector" car that I have been wanting for a while. Although it is not an STS-V (nor a Cadillac GASP!), based on the last 2.5 years of experience, I trust the members of this group to steer me right so as an STS-V owner, I figured I could get by with just ONE Ford post around these parts. :hide:

The car I am shipping is a 1976 Ford Thunderbird (big huge boat). It is located 40 miles north of Dallas, TX and will be shipped to Raleigh, NC. it's in great condition and I'm getting it cheap because nobody seems to want those big, garish things, but my family had a 1975 T-Bird growing up and I always had a soft spot for them and have very fond memories of that car.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vehicle transporting company?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dale

Tags63
10-06-09, 09:30 PM
Hey!!

I usually fly in and drive home any vehicle I bought but I've used DAS. A few people I know used them too. no problems. They've been in business a long time. www.dasautoshippers.com

Paul:thumbsup:

cad08stsv
10-07-09, 09:59 AM
http://passport.fedex.com/
Used to be Passport Transport, but I guess they were aquired by FedEx. Inclosed Service
I used them a few years back and they came right to my door. They did charge extra to come into Brooklyn NY. Whatya gona do, hun?. They did a great job.
I also used DAS open transport, They have inclosed. Like Tags63 said they do a good job. I am sure there are others. Hemmings Motor News has lots of ads for this work.

md04srx
10-07-09, 12:16 PM
You could try uship.com. It is a place where you post what you wanted shipped, the destination, and the source. Companies compete for your business. I used a company on there to ship my sts-v to me. I believe that you can also specify, when you are creating your listing, that you want an enclosed trailer. The best part about the site are the reviews from customers, so you can stay abreast of how the company is doing.

siannas
10-07-09, 12:53 PM
Just some advice- I would recommend asking for your car to be on the top rack if possible. Years ago I had an M3 shipped from LA to Chicago. During the trip, a Fiat leaked oil all over my windshield and hood. Sure the transport company paid for the damage, but it was real let down to have to paint the hood!

dhemrick
10-07-09, 03:21 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I appreciate it. I have used DAS before. I couldn't remember their name but I recognize their web site. It is nice to know that other people have had good experience with them.

Also, good advice on the top rack. I had a 99 STS shipped years ago by someone else (not DAS, but again, don't remember), and as the guy was taking my car off the top rack, he let a heavy chain fall through onto the Honda parked below. I was not impressed, but I was glad it was not my car.

suzettec
11-23-09, 07:18 PM
I shipped my STS-V from TX to FL for $427 with Crowley Auto Transport. Price was all-inclusive. No surprises. Went smooth.

http://www.crowleyautotransport.com