: Stock air box mod

4DoorV
10-06-09, 08:34 AM
I did a search on modifying the stock air box (cutting out the bottom) and did not find alot of information except that it seemed to be as effective as a CAI kit (on cars with < 600hp at wheels). For those of you that have done this, is there an issue with getting water, brake dust, debris, etc. up into the filter. Any other issues with performing this mod?

Silver -V-
10-06-09, 10:17 AM
2000 miles and 3 track days on mine since I opened the airbox. So far, no adverse conditions. Water would need to travel a long way up to get into the box. As for BRake dust, some has worked its way on to the filter, but that is only after some very quick track driving, and had also shown up before when the box was closed. All you will notice is a slightly louder supercharger whine/whoosh. You will definitely feel the change, as it seems to affect the low end torque, and you feel the push in your back around 2800 rpm.

nradcad
10-06-09, 01:30 PM
Does this require a retune?

Silver -V-
10-06-09, 04:57 PM
My engine computer "learned" the new Air intake volumes, and re-adjusted. A tune will almost always help the factory parameters and should increase h.p. more, but a tune is not necessary to add horsepower this way

4DoorV
10-07-09, 09:44 PM
Any warranty issues by doing this and anyone know the part number for the lower half of the air box? (May want to order a spare)

Titaniumseeker
10-07-09, 11:32 PM
If the bottom of the stock air box is cut then are you also creating a means for the hot engine air to also flow through your intake? The stock air box seems to be designed with its own integrated heat shield to protect the air flowing up through the box through one side..

Silver -V-
10-08-09, 10:08 AM
If there was an issue with hot air going through the box after modification, my car is the one that would have shown it. I have had 3 full track days in the Texas heat with the modification. I have no discernable issues with power loss due to hot air over the track days I had with it closed up and breathing the same hot air from inside the engine bay, and starving for air volume. This is one modification I can agree with, and should have been done cleanly in the factory.

Gary Wells
10-08-09, 10:23 AM
Volume takes predecence over temperature.