: Best Tyres for BLS diesel auto ??

t4evs
10-06-09, 07:34 AM
I bought the car 1 year ago as a 57 plate when it had done 22,000 miles, now at 46,000 miles. Back tyres are original Dunlop and could be good up to 60k. The fronts were replaced by the garage when I purchased the car and they are Linglong (very cheap but have been OK). It is getting to the time to replacing them.

Any suggestions?

PSCBLS
10-06-09, 02:55 PM
Hi - mine is the manual diesel and it had Goodyear NCT 5's which are now no-longer made apparently.
I've replaced them with Nexen N3000 (97W rating). Nexen is owned by Michelin and speaking to some of my friends in the US a lot of them use Nexen's.

over the years used a few. best grip were Bridgestone SP2's but lasted 7k miles. Most disappointed with Pirelli's, they crack. Conti contacts noisy, especially on a heavy car, had them on my shogun. Had Kumho's on my Alfa 147 which were good.

For me, I kinda think, what with all the major players (Michelin et al) owning the lesser brands, it's like the whole Paracetamol or asprin scenario.
For example, you can buy Nurofen or the like, or Sainsbury's own, now the chemical structure and ingredients is identical, except Nurofen you're funding their R&D dept. Sainsbury's merely buy the license to sell what someone else studied.

Somewhat of an epitaph but my 2 cents worth.

t4evs
10-08-09, 04:32 AM
Thanks, very useful and I had the same experience with Pirrelli and Continental. Made a mistake in my post - back tyres are Goodyear!

Are the Nexen's quiet and did they give similar handling to the Goodyear?

With regard to the Linglong the garage fitted to the front I can buy them for 50 each fitted against 100+ for the better known brands. I reckon that they are actually good value and have not caused any problems although they are probably a bit noisier as they seem to be a hard tyre.

Thanks

S70RMP
10-09-09, 06:48 PM
greetings from Florida !

my BLS is still on the 1st pirelles

going to get them again !

S70RMP
10-09-09, 07:15 PM
You do know you have to fit the extra load tyres dont you ?

they have to be the 94W extra load fitted tyres.

Sadly not seen a CTS-V on my trip yet :-(

theres a caddy garage down the road I might pop in and see if they have one,
and maybe let me test drive it :-)

PSCBLS
10-10-09, 05:12 AM
Thanks, very useful and I had the same experience with Pirrelli and Continental. Made a mistake in my post - back tyres are Goodyear!

Are the Nexen's quiet and did they give similar handling to the Goodyear?

With regard to the Linglong the garage fitted to the front I can buy them for 50 each fitted against 100+ for the better known brands. I reckon that they are actually good value and have not caused any problems although they are probably a bit noisier as they seem to be a hard tyre.

Thanks

Morning t4evs - apols for the delay.
Yeah when new I thought the Conti Contact 2's were excellent until they started cracking after 6mnths - bearing in mind I'm a detailing deom with over 200 meguiars products and always keep my cars looking new.

Anyhoo I digress - I'm assuming your rears are the NCT 5's like I had, well these Nexens are even quieter, I popped out last night whilst it was bucketing down and even in the rain, it was so much quieter.
As a guide price fully fitted I got them for 64 each.
They also have a treadwear rating of 340...