Cadillac Owners Forum banner

DRL Issue - Advice Please

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Joe Pagano 
#1 ·
Start car, automatic lights on, pull out of garage, indicator and lights go down and DRL's come on. Drive through shade, or tunnel or overpass, and lights come up, back into sunlight and lights stay on. Switch back and forth between auto on and auto off, no joy. Checked wipers - off. Twilight - off.
Now, sometimes - works fine. Making me a little nuts, especially the fact that you can not turn auto off and have it stay off even after restarts.
Jump in guys...................
Thanks.............. Joe P

#4 ·
No nothing on dash, no front tint, the sensor is clean, clear and unobstructed. And yes, I understand about DRL's, hence the reason for my query, I don't want the lights on when driving in broad daylight, just the DRL's (the amber turn signals), and I am confused because sometimes it works as designed. Thanks guys. Anyone else with an idea? Joe P

#5 ·
Joe,
Maybe something to check...
If you turn on the fogs in the daytime, the fogs will come on, little lamps in the front corners of the headlamps and the light indicating headlamps on dash will also light, but NOT the headlamps. So, this means the light on the dash indicating headlamps on, will come on even though the headlamps don't (parking light and headlight indicator if you will).
Did you / can you see what's actually coming on, can you walk around the car and look? It may help determine what's going on a little better.
Good Luck!

#8 ·
Well, when everything is working properly I do nothing, the stalk is set on auto and when I start the car the lights come on, the regular night time driving lights, And that is what is suppose to happen, and of course the intellibeam would function, no hands Ma. Anyway, pulling out of the garage into daylight after just a minute or two those lights go out and the two front amber turn signal lights come on, ONLY when car is in gear as is the setup. Now driving into a tunnel, or night falls, those lights go off and the headlghts come back on automatic.
The amber lights are the DRL's, those little marker lights are I believe parking lights, and they must be turned on manually from the stalk and I think you get taillighting when active.
Now all that stuff happens as described, BUT, from time to time those auto lights will not reset even in direct blazing sunshine and I am driving around with headlights like a mental patient, until I turn the auto system off.

#10 ·
Just trying to get my head around this...
You did LOOK to see that the headlights are in fact on?
There are settings in the computer for delay and such on headlamps, but forget what all you can set, maybe check that....
Keep us posted please!
P.S. It sounds just like wipers, but I know you checked that?????

#11 ·
Oh yea, its the headlights that are on. Now take yeaterday, I get up, do a few things around the house and head out, I start the car in the garage and auto lights come on, pull out of garage and after a minute or so they go down and the DRL's (amber) come on. I run a few errands, hit the gym and pool, go to the store and cleaners, all stop and go, and the headlights never came back on. Pulled into the garage waited to shut off car and pop they came up as suppose to. Go figure, I think its a gremlin under the hood.
It has to be a faulty sensor, but so far no one else has reported a similar problem.
Joe P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.