: Manual vs Auto

Stingray23
10-04-09, 07:53 PM
I'd like some feedback form you guys about which tranny you prefer for this car. I currently drive a C6 Z06 and absolutely love this car, but also want to get a CTS-V. I drove an automatic CTS-V a few months ago and was very disappointed. I went in with very high expectations and felt cheated. Granted the car only had 200 miles on it, but still should have felt more robust. Is the auto tranny that bad? Does the manual car "feel" faster? My friends E55 AMG feels a lot faster, but obviously isnt. Let me know what you guys think. Right now my mind is telling me get the manual though I havent driven one yet.

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 08:32 PM
A search would prove very beneficial:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/176230-performance-auto-vs-manual.html

There's another thread titled "Did the A6 get you to buy". 6 page thread and worthwhile to read.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/177878-did-a6-transmission-get-you-buy.html

nradcad
10-04-09, 09:18 PM
ut oh.....:hide:

hopefully this thread is dead and those earlier threads will answer your questions...

Gary Wells
10-04-09, 09:27 PM
ut oh.....:hide:

hopefully this thread is dead and those earlier threads will answer your questions...

I tried to stir the pot as little as possible in this one, I got bored over on the wheel clicking thread.

nradcad
10-04-09, 11:08 PM
sorry...couldn't help it. :)

JBsZ06
10-04-09, 11:48 PM
If I bought a CTS V...there is no question I would buy the CTS V with an automatic.

I'm sure the manual transmission version is kick @ss..

Interesting that GM chose the automatic CTS V to set a lap record at the "ring" ..

NeedCTS-v
10-05-09, 12:39 AM
I have the M6 and have not driven the Auto but would assume that it is very nice.

I'm very happy with the manual box.

abbas
10-05-09, 01:22 AM
I also like the Manual. It is better than any manual I have ever driven.

Stingray23
10-05-09, 01:44 AM
has anyone driven both before they decided?

Gary Wells
10-05-09, 05:38 AM
I'm sure that some peeps have and have noted their findings in the threads referenced above.

Razorecko
10-05-09, 11:12 AM
the auto is great in the fact that its obviously pretty strong...BUT it does need a tune to clean up the shifts.

the manual is great also because its probally one of the smoothest solid shifting manuals around. But the gearing isn't as aggressive as the auto's.

ctsv5005
10-05-09, 06:22 PM
Autos are faster than manuals. simple!

NeedCTS-v
10-05-09, 06:36 PM
Autos are faster than manuals. simple!

This is actually incorrect. The Auto is limited to 175mph... The manual however breaks the 190mph mark.

The manual also seems to dyno higher due to less drivetrain loss than the auto.

The auto is geared lower so it registers slightly "quicker" acceleration times. I wonder if this might also be due to less wheel spin due to less power at the wheels :suspect:

Also, the manual is more fun to drive. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Palagius
10-05-09, 09:18 PM
I think this thread will inevitably turn into a flame war, but I'll add my US$0.02 anyway.

I drove both before buying a manual. I found the automatic satisfactory, though perhaps not on par with some "industry benchmark" automatics. Like "Need" I found the manual car to be substantially more engaging to drive. For me personally the comparative performance was largely irrelevant. I'm not planning on autocrossing the car, and the performance characteristics are such that it already takes far too little time to reach "arrest on sight" speeds regardless of transmission choice.

Clutch effort is light enough that I knew I would not be troubled driving in the miasma that is Washington, D.C. traffic, and I find the shift precision to be very agreeable. The latter was essentially being compared in my mind to my previous car, which was an older BMW 540i with a Getrag 6-speed manual, and comparing favorably is no mean feat.

In my opinion, this is purely subjective. I would encourage anyone to drove both cars before making a decision. My wife would probably have been happier if I'd gotten an auto so she would be able to keep both hands on the wheel when she's driving it. :-)

Tony407
10-05-09, 10:22 PM
the auto is great in the fact that its obviously pretty strong...BUT it does need a tune to clean up the shifts.

Agreed! When I got my auto I thought something was wrong with it. Very labored and sluggish. The Wait4Me tune ($400) was worth its weight in gold and then some.

I can't comment on the 6M, but if you're concerned about the auto and its performance, you really DO need a tune. No question.

Tony

Baxman
10-05-09, 11:49 PM
The Wait4Me tune ($400) was worth its weight in gold and then some.

I can't comment on the 6M, but if you're concerned about the auto and its performance, you really DO need a tune. No question.

Tony

What is the "Wait4Metune" and does a brand new AT need it?

Stingray23
10-06-09, 12:11 AM
I wish we can get a manual and auto car and do a video of a 40-120 run to see which is faster. I know the auto has quicker acceleration times, but I'm sure that has to do with the launch. Its much easier to launch an auto then it is a manual. Will the tune make the auto tranny shift quicker, crisper, and with more authority?

Tony407
10-06-09, 12:14 AM
What is the "Wait4Metune" and does a brand new AT need it?

Do a search for Wait4Me and you'll get tons of info.

In short, Wait4Me is a company (owned by Jesse, a regular on this forum) that sells a hand held scanner that turns our sluggish automatics into BEASTS that in several of our opinions, was the way the car should have come from the factory. I'm sure others will chime in, but that's the gist of it.

A brand new AT doesn't "need" it, but as I and others have noticed, the AT leaves much to be desired in the seat-of-your-pants driving excitement department. From the factory, the AT not only takes what seems like an eternity to down shift when you get on the gas, but the the throttle response seems very anemic at best. After I purchased the tune, the difference was night and day and the car felt MUCH more responsive, precise, and violently fast. A full throttle downshift is immediate and it literally slams you into the back of your seat. From a pure performance-driving aspect, the tune is a necessity in my opinion. Mind you, the tune is more than an AT tune and does address the throttle responsiveness as well as some other issues I can't recall at the moment.

In Motortrend's latest "Top 10 Driver's Cars" comparison, Randy Pobst (he drove all 10 cars at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca) said the AT was the car's weakest link, but highly praised it in every other category. I would be really interested to see what he would say about it with a simple tune like what's offered from Wait4Me.

Tony

nradcad
10-06-09, 01:09 AM
I'm buying this damn tune already, because I absolutely hate the auto shifts.

ctsv5005
10-06-09, 05:43 PM
This is actually incorrect. The Auto is limited to 175mph... The manual however breaks the 190mph mark.

The manual also seems to dyno higher due to less drivetrain loss than the auto.

The auto is geared lower so it registers slightly "quicker" acceleration times. I wonder if this might also be due to less wheel spin due to less power at the wheels :suspect:

Also, the manual is more fun to drive. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sorry sir, it is limited to 186mph. You can check out my vids on youtube. Till 300 km/h manual cannot catch the auto.

No doubt manual is fun, but when it comes to performance, auto is the king. I raced a manual cts-v, us specs, and i did beat him. now dont tell me that he is not a good driver!

Fact is that a stock manual cannot beat stock auto. That is why i have the auto. And i am sticking to it too.

nynd
10-06-09, 06:51 PM
I'm buying this damn tune already, because I absolutely hate the auto shifts.

Question on the auto tune, when you reprogram it with the wait4me tune, does it change the shift sequence in both the "normal mode" and the "sport mode" (when you move it to the right) or is it more one over the other?

My thinking was that GM kept the "normal" (ie - starting off in 2nd etc) more for maximum fuel economy and then the "sport" mode was for more spirited driving. So, post tune - is there a difference in one position over the other (normal vs. sport)?

Most have said its like night and day so just trying to get a better understanding of the tune.

NeedCTS-v
10-06-09, 07:14 PM
Sorry sir, it is limited to 186mph. You can check out my vids on youtube. Till 300 km/h manual cannot catch the auto.

No doubt manual is fun, but when it comes to performance, auto is the king. I raced a manual cts-v, us specs, and i did beat him. now dont tell me that he is not a good driver!

Fact is that a stock manual cannot beat stock auto. That is why i have the auto. And i am sticking to it too.

I'm simply going off of published data stating that the auto is speed limited to 175 mph due to output shaft instability and the manual is not governed and reaches 191 MPH.

vince del
10-06-09, 07:15 PM
Could someone tell me what Wait4me tune is? Thanks Vince del.

Tony407
10-06-09, 09:57 PM
Could someone tell me what Wait4me tune is? Thanks Vince del.

Vince, look at post #18, above. Or do a search and you'll find all sorts of info.

Tony

Tony407
10-06-09, 09:59 PM
I'm simply going off of published data stating that the auto is speed limited to 175 mph due to output shaft instability and the manual is not governed and reaches 191 MPH.

I have read and heard similar reports. Something about the AT exploding into a bazillion bits, thus the reason for the limiter.

Tony

sharky1
10-06-09, 10:14 PM
mine's still being shipped...guys, think twice about using Global....but I want the handheld..for the auto....has anyone had trouble with the install on this? Like, " can't read "

4DOORZR1
10-06-09, 10:39 PM
Manual shifts like the Vette.
Clutch is like the C5Z which is heavier than the C6Z

If you like shifting like I do, manual is the way to go...slightly better fuel mileage too.

NeedCTS-v
10-06-09, 10:43 PM
...slightly better fuel mileage too.

Good point. The gas guzzler tax is 2600 vs 1300 respectively. This is a non-issue if you decide to buy used.

FastRunner
10-06-09, 11:41 PM
Question on the auto tune, when you reprogram it with the wait4me tune, does it change the shift sequence in both the "normal mode" and the "sport mode" (when you move it to the right) or is it more one over the other?

My thinking was that GM kept the "normal" (ie - starting off in 2nd etc) more for maximum fuel economy and then the "sport" mode was for more spirited driving. So, post tune - is there a difference in one position over the other (normal vs. sport)?

Most have said its like night and day so just trying to get a better understanding of the tune.

I just drove 2.5 hours down to Warsaw to pick up some 18" wheels from Wait4me and got the tune for the automatic. First I must say that Jesse is one of the best people I have ever dealt with. He truly has a love for fast cars and we all benefit from his hard work! On the ride back to Toledo, I thought my car was going to leave parts behind when I would pass Semi's on the two lane roads. I would go from 55mph to 100mph in the time it took to get around the Semi! I was in the "normal" driving mode and definitely felt the difference. I hope to go to the track soon, and let you know how the drive is faster in "sport" mode with drag radials.

SlvrBullIT
10-06-09, 11:57 PM
I just drove 2.5 hours down to Warsaw to pick up some 18" wheels from Wait4me and got the tune for the automatic. First I must say that Jesse is one of the best people I have ever dealt with. He truly has a love for fast cars and we all benefit from his hard work! On the ride back to Toledo, I thought my car was going to leave parts behind when I would pass Semi's on the two lane roads. I would go from 55mph to 100mph in the time it took to get around the Semi! I was in the "normal" driving mode and definitely felt the difference. I hope to go to the track soon, and let you know how the drive is faster in "sport" mode with drag radials.

Which wheels did you get? Moreover, were you in sport or normal mode on the shifter?

FastRunner
10-07-09, 12:05 AM
I was in normal mode the whole drive. I got the oz racing wheels that you can see on his youtube video of a walk around his car at the race track. Just search youtube for wait4me walkaround.

ctsbee
10-14-09, 11:53 AM
I had a 2009 CTS-V Automatic for six months, but traded it in for a 2009 CTS-V Manual. The Automatic with the Paddle Shifters was awesome, but just not the same feel as the Stick and Clutch. Yes, it is a pain shifting in Houston traffic, but I do like being in control of the car. I had an 07 V1; the new tranny is definetly an improvement!

NeedCTS-v
10-14-09, 01:13 PM
I had a 2009 CTS-V Automatic for six months, but traded it in for a 2009 CTS-V Manual. The Automatic with the Paddle Shifters was awesome, but just not the same feel as the Stick and Clutch. Yes, it is a pain shifting in Houston traffic, but I do like being in control of the car. I had an 07 V1; the new tranny is definetly an improvement!

Any noticeable difference between the gearing of the cars? Does the auto actually feel faster? Any other differences worth noting?

Thanks!

DrewDog
10-14-09, 01:23 PM
I am leaning towards getting the manual. I guess I am old fashioned and like the intimacy with the car and manual shifts (like Jay Leno).

Razorecko
10-14-09, 02:15 PM
Like i've said before, get whatever you like ..

but...how many times do you hear..

" I have an auto, damn I wish i got stick "

and

" I have a stick, damn I wish i got auto "

the choice is yours :p

cbloveday
10-14-09, 08:38 PM
I'd like some feedback form you guys about which tranny you prefer for this car. I currently drive a C6 Z06 and absolutely love this car, but also want to get a CTS-V. I drove an automatic CTS-V a few months ago and was very disappointed. I went in with very high expectations and felt cheated. Granted the car only had 200 miles on it, but still should have felt more robust. Is the auto tranny that bad? Does the manual car "feel" faster? My friends E55 AMG feels a lot faster, but obviously isnt. Let me know what you guys think. Right now my mind is telling me get the manual though I havent driven one yet.

I was also disappointed when i first drove the auto V. The one I drove had 300 miles on the clock. I thought it was because I was coming out of an 07 M6 with Dinan Stage 2 mods. However, I was not familiar with the car and had traction control on which I believe may of pulled some hp. Now that my my car has 1,600 miles on it, I am in love. I also did the lingenfelter upgrade about 800 miles ago (630bhp). what a treat to spend $1,400 for the supercharger snout port and polish, supercharger pulley swap, tune and airbox mod. Spent $600 more dollars for labor and.......POOF, Very much in love now. :lildevil:

ctsbee
10-16-09, 02:27 AM
Any noticeable difference between the gearing of the cars? Does the auto actually feel faster? Any other differences worth noting?

Thanks!

I believe it boils down to personal preference. I do not race my V...it is my solace. I'm in my mid 50's and in addition to owning a '07 CTS-V I have owned a '96 Hennessy Viper, '84 300 ZX Turbo, '77 MGB and a 1965 Mustang three speed; all with sticks. When I purchased the 2009 CTS-V with automatic, I was going on the recommendation of others that the paddle shifters were more efficient and full automatic was quicker than stick and clutch. No doubt, the push-you-back-in-the-seat feeling was there! I just like being more a part of the machine with the clutch and stick. You don't get that feel with the paddle shifters...the novelty wore out for me. The '09 CTS-V manual has a much better clutch and shift feel than the '07 CTS-V. Gone is the extremely irritating first-to-fourth shift-skip built into the '07 V.

JFJr
10-16-09, 11:38 AM
Gone is the extremely irritating first-to-fourth shift-skip built into the '07 V.Actually, that feature remains but it is not nearly as intrusive as in the prior "V." I have over 14,000 miles on mine and experience "skip-shift" maybe once a month during congested city driving.

Buzduz74
10-16-09, 11:48 AM
I am leaning towards getting the manual. I guess I am old fashioned and like the intimacy with the car and manual shifts (like Jay Leno).

Have 6500 miles on stick. lovin it. Fuel Mileage on road 16 ish

RapidRob
10-17-09, 12:09 AM
3800 miles on my manual and loving it!:cloud9:

Rob

Razorecko
10-17-09, 12:49 AM
^ hey stick guys - what rpm are you slipping it from for a good launch ?

Caroutisine
10-17-09, 01:21 AM
I think it's all about personal preference, and individual driving expierences. But two things that we can probably agree on are:

1. The V2 manual is an improvement over the previous generation.

2. The availability of an automatic has helped the success of the V2.

GM did a good job on this car in many ways.

4gear70
10-17-09, 02:57 AM
^ hey stick guys - what rpm are you slipping it from for a good launch ?

depends on how much VHT the track is prepped with... or you have on your tires.

concorso
10-17-09, 02:09 PM
Are these trans the same as whats used the in the C6 vettes?

1-2-N-V
10-19-09, 09:18 AM
Actually, that feature remains but it is not nearly as intrusive as in the prior "V." I have over 14,000 miles on mine and experience "skip-shift" maybe once a month during congested city driving.

Does it? i was told it was not there by a cadillac dealer Head mechanic. And i thought when i was at the Monticello Motor club for the Caddy event last Nov. i hear from an engineer there that it was not to be in this V. Now i have missed some shifts before i just thought it was my error. Sometimes when going from 2nd to 3rd i will hit the gate and get into 4th but i do not recall ever going from 1st and not being able to hit second. And sometimes downshifting.

So when is this supposed to "lock out"? I was told in the old V had this for fuel efficiency that under light load (under 2000 rpm) it would skip to the taller gear to save gas.

BTW any of you guys experience a not so smooth shift from 1st to 2nd? Seems very clicky into 2nd. Like it has to all the other gears seem smooth as silk. Let me know.
Thanks,
Mike

NeedCTS-v
10-19-09, 10:22 AM
So when is this supposed to "lock out"? I was told in the old V had this for fuel efficiency that under light load (under 2000 rpm) it would skip to the taller gear to save gas.

BTW any of you guys experience a not so smooth shift from 1st to 2nd? Seems very clicky into 2nd. Like it has to all the other gears seem smooth as silk. Let me know.
Thanks,
Mike

I've experienced the lock out maybe 3 or 4 times. As it is something that I don't actively try to make happen I can only share a basic observation. On previous GM cars that I've had with the shift skip, the throttle input threshold seemed to be about 30% or so. It would always get me at intersections when making a turn in traffic when I would try to select 2nd gear but not using much throttle (due to traffic).

With the V it seems like the threshold is much lower (maybe 10% or less). This means I can induce it making a 2nd gear shift at low speed with almost no throttle. The good part is that it almost never happens.

As for smoothness of the transmission, I occasionally get a bark going into 2nd gear. The TR6060 is known for this especially during colder conditions but this has not been my experience. More specifically when I'm doing a high RPM shift from first to second (usually at or near WOT) it will sometimes fight me going into gear.

1-2-N-V
10-19-09, 11:20 AM
I've experienced the lock out maybe 3 or 4 times. As it is something that I don't actively try to make happen I can only share a basic observation. On previous GM cars that I've had with the shift skip, the throttle input threshold seemed to be about 30% or so. It would always get me at intersections when making a turn in traffic when I would try to select 2nd gear but not using much throttle (due to traffic).

With the V it seems like the threshold is much lower (maybe 10% or less). This means I can induce it making a 2nd gear shift at low speed with almost no throttle. The good part is that it almost never happens.

As for smoothness of the transmission, I occasionally get a bark going into 2nd gear. The TR6060 is known for this especially during colder conditions but this has not been my experience. More specifically when I'm doing a high RPM shift from first to second (usually at or near WOT) it will sometimes fight me going into gear.

Hmmm. Have not experienced this. I have to try to make it happen now to see how this works. Weird cause i do these low rpm shifts going out my road all the time keeping the revs and noise down at 5:30 in the am. It never not allows me to go into second gear:hmm:

Yeah as far as the second gear. Do you mean a grind when you say Bark? it has been stiff getting in second all through the summer. I had recently driven a 02 ZO6 and that seems smooth. Have driven a 04 V also but don't recall that being sticky. Anyone else with a Stick want to comment?

Razorecko
10-19-09, 11:31 AM
I have 10k on my manual and it gets smoother over time. I also did 2x fluid changes on the trans already though. I do get a little "rough" going into 2nd on colder startups but as soon as it warms up its buttery smooth

NeedCTS-v
10-19-09, 12:05 PM
Hmmm. Have not experienced this. I have to try to make it happen now to see how this works. Weird cause i do these low rpm shifts going out my road all the time keeping the revs and noise down at 5:30 in the am. It never not allows me to go into second gear:hmm:

Yeah as far as the second gear. Do you mean a grind when you say Bark? it has been stiff getting in second all through the summer. I had recently driven a 02 ZO6 and that seems smooth. Have driven a 04 V also but don't recall that being sticky. Anyone else with a Stick want to comment?

Try shifting into 2nd at 1100RPMs with next to no throttle. That should do it. It is that subtle.

The TR6060 should only be in the C6Z to the best of my knowledge. I owned an 01Z and an 03Z and they were perfectly smooth but that was a different tranny altogether. If you go to CF or Z06vette and do a search you'll hear a lot of stories about transmission grinding into 2nd. There is a TSB out regarding 2nd gear grinding during colder temps.

Yes, when I say bark, I mean grind, but I don't have this problem at all during normal driving, only at very high RPM (north of 5K) and it only happens some of the time. Also, note that I'm very careful about my shifting, I don't beat on the car at all. When the grind does happen it's not severe.

1-2-N-V
10-19-09, 12:20 PM
Try shifting into 2nd at 1100RPMs with next to no throttle. That should do it. It is that subtle.

The TR6060 should only be in the C6Z to the best of my knowledge. I owned an 01Z and an 03Z and they were perfectly smooth but that was a different tranny altogether. If you go to CF or Z06vette and do a search you'll hear a lot of stories about transmission grinding into 2nd. There is a TSB out regarding 2nd gear grinding during colder temps.

Yes, when I say bark, I mean grind, but I don't have this problem at all during normal driving, only at very high RPM (north of 5K) and it only happens some of the time. Also, note that I'm very careful about my shifting, I don't beat on the car at all. When the grind does happen it's not severe.

Ok I will try i t thanks. Yeah not sure what Man trans is in and O2 Zo6. i realize the are not the same. just that one was smoother. For a caddy. it should be like silk.

that TSB is for the TR6060?

4gear70
10-19-09, 12:20 PM

Yes, the '09 V still has this 'feature' (CAGS) but it is not nearly as intrusive as the '04-07 version. On my '05, if I remember the parameters correctly, it would require approx. 18-22 km/hr (11-14 mph) driving AND ~ 20% throttle AND the car had to be up to operating temp... then it would force a 1-4 shift unless you slowed down/sped up or increased/decreased throttle to open the 1-2 gate again. I ended up changing the operating temp parrameter in the tables to be around ~150*C so that it would never initiate a 1-4 shift again.
With the '09 V, they must have changed the parameters and made it more difficult to initiate a forced 1-4 shift. I can get it to happen but only if I try.. I have to drive at a slight downhill grade with the slightest throttle input and just barely moving at under ~10 km/hr (~6 mph).

CTSV4now
10-19-09, 01:57 PM
The TR6060 should only be in the C6Z to the best of my knowledge.

I had the TR6060 in my 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, I believe the new Camaros have them too.

NeedCTS-v
10-19-09, 02:09 PM
I had the TR6060 in my 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, I believe the new Camaros have them too.

Sorry, I mis-spoke here. I should have clarified that within the Z family, it only made it's appearance on the C6 starting the '07 model year. To your point, the TR6060 appears in several other GM cars as well as the mustang GT500 which has exhibited similar cold shifting grinding into 2nd.

1-2-N-V
10-19-09, 02:28 PM
Sorry, I mis-spoke here. I should have clarified that within the Z family, it only made it's appearance on the C6 starting the '07 model year. To your point, the TR6060 appears in several other GM cars as well as the mustang GT500 which has exhibited similar cold shifting grinding into 2nd.

Well For Me ? No grinding yet. Maybe some Z-Max additive in the trans? Saw a question on Two Guys Garage. How to make your manual shift smoother? Where the heck would i fill that anyway?

NeedCTS-v
10-19-09, 03:21 PM
Here's the actual TSB as it pertains to TR6060. The important thing here is the temperature (at or below 32 degress). Without being able to demonstrate that the issue was related to cold operating temps, in all likelihood GM would not perfrom the TSB. Edit: Re-reading this it would seem that the TSB is to do nothing if it is related to cold temperatures but if it continues after operating for 15 or so minutes, they may need to perform a warranty repair.

TSB (#2073364)

"#PIP4357: Noise During The 1-2 Shift When Cold - keywords first grate grind second - (Feb 27, 2008)

Models: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V - Tremec Transmission RPO Code MG9

2008-2009 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06

Equipped With Tremec Manual Transmission RPO Code MM6, MZ6 or MH3

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about a Nibble or grate type noise that may also be described as a multiple bump feel during 1-2 upshift event while the transmission is cold.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A new transmission synchronizer design was released for the 2008 and 2009 models listed above. The new synchronizer will make a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear in temperatures at or below 32 degrees F.

This noise/feel is a normal characteristic and wil go away after the transmission warms up. Warm up should occur after approximately 15 miles of normal driving. This condition requires no repair by the dealer.

The service technician should test drive the vehcile to verify the concern. If the noise/feel goes away after the warm up no repair is necessary and the customer should be advised accordingly."