: Sway Bars?

07-30-04, 01:23 PM
I've seen a few pictures of late 60's early 70's engine compartments (mostly Sedans) that have sway bars that attach at each wheel well to the center of the firewall (making a 'V' shape). My 69 convertible DeVille has mounting points for these, but the holes in the wheel well have very factory looking rubber plugs in them.

What is the deal with these? Are they really sway bars? Did they only come on sedans? I want to know!

lux hauler
07-30-04, 04:48 PM
I believe they are structural supports for the fender/inner fender. I don't think they had anything to do with the handling of the car.

barge master
07-30-04, 11:07 PM
You would think a ragtop would be the first place to find those bars. Why not hit the junk yard and do a retrofit?

08-21-04, 08:00 PM
You might check into later models like my '81 Commercial Chassis. I'm not sure what they do but I know the Chevy, Olds and Pontiac cars that share the Caddy frame do not have the same brackets. Actually I think my buddies '82 Fleetwood doesn't have them either. I suppose that could indicate they are indeed for structral support. I don't know though.

I've attached a pic of my underhood.

08-29-04, 07:27 AM
I've also seen a 69 drop-top without the supports... My coupe however, does have them... I'll agree with barge master though, you'd think a convertible, with its lower structural rigidity, would be more likely to use these.