: 2008 Corvette Coupe versus 2009 CTS-V.. can't decide!!!

squale
10-02-09, 10:11 PM
Next winter, probably December 2010 I am going to buy a secondary pleasure vehicle. At first I was looking at a 2004 Corvette Z06 but now I'm thinking I might be better off with something a bit newer.

So I was checking out the 2008 Corvette Coupe or Convertible with the LS3 engine or I was thinking of the 2009 CTS-V.

I'm wondering how these two cars compare in terms of performance, ride quality, handling, etc.?

nradcad
10-02-09, 10:24 PM
The C6 and the CTS-V have almost identical performance numbers with the nod prolly going to the V2.

NeedCTS-v
10-02-09, 10:30 PM
I have ample seat time in all three cars and it really comes down to what's most important to you.

If you want the best all out sports car for the money, take the '04 Z, no question. IMHO it is a better sports/enjoyment car than the base C6 period.

If you want the two seat, more refined, removable top then go with the C6. If you have the option, get the Z51 package, if nothing else you'll want the gears.

If you need or could use back seats and don't want to be hounded by the man, go CTS-V. In terms of all around, the V cannot be beat. It offers 9/10ths of the performance of the C5Z but not quite the same seat of the pants experience, but pulls the luxury/dual purpose trick far better than the base C6. Again, just my opinion but I consider the V more fun to drive than the C6 (but I also have a manual).

Also consider that if you're in the V price range you can also go into a C6Z which will take you into the next performance level.

Good luck with your choice. You really can't go wrong if these are your options.

Edit:

Re-reading your post.
Ride quality in both cars will be excellent. Performance will be similar but driving characteristics will be different. The normally aspirated Vette will have slightly better (immediate) throttle response . Handling while similar will be more confidence inspiring in the Vette. Being closer to the rear wheels/axle will give you a more direct feel than the V. This being said, I find the V to be more manageable (friendly) at the limit than the Vette. I'd also say that I find the steering feel/input to be better in the V, but the Vette being lighter has less body roll and is more nimble.

Lastly, accommodations in the V (interior design, fit/finish/materials, audio system, seating, switch gear, room, etc.) are in a different class entirely in the V. If this is your daily driver, take this point to heart. The V is vastly superior in this regard. The only thing that the Vette has above the V is heads up display and and Oil Temp guage. A V with Recaro seats is a "very" nice place to be.

62Jeff
10-02-09, 10:55 PM
I have a 07 corvette coupe and an 09 CTS-V

A few items I'd like to add to NeedCTS-V's excellent post are the following:

Corvette doors open a little, or a lot. Although they have 3 detente positions, the middle position puts my door into the passenger side of the car on the other side of the garage. If you have a small parking area, or a tight garage, it's easier to get out of the CTS-V without opening the door into something else. The Corvette is more of a challenge. Typical of long-door cars though.
I have random lower back problems, and on those days when it's acting up it's much easier for me to get in/out of the CTS-V than to get down-and-in/up-and-out of the vette.
My vette is a 6 speed manual, the CTS-V is an automatic. The vette is more responsive to the way I drive since I'm always in the gear I want to be in without having to diddle with automated downshifting. This could be mitigated through better use of the manual mode but I haven't put much time into it yet.
The removable roof on the vette will squeek and pop, the rear end will growl. The sunroof on the CTS-V will likely squeek and pop, the rear end may growl. No clear winner there.
Larger aftermarket wheel selection for the vette, if such things are important

Jeff

squale
10-02-09, 10:56 PM
well the next concern is always a big one... price..

perferably I would like to buy one of these cars used or certified used... because I hate buying a new car and taking the huge beating in devaluation when you drive it off the lot. So that being said, what would the used prices on these cars most likely look like next winter...

2009 CTS-V
2008 C6 Convertible
2004 C5 ZO6

and with the HUGE discounts right now given on new cars... does this make the used car values drop too?

NeedCTS-v
10-02-09, 11:13 PM
well the next concern is always a big one... price..

perferably I would like to buy one of these cars used or certified used... because I hate buying a new car and taking the huge beating in devaluation when you drive it off the lot. So that being said, what would the used prices on these cars most likely look like next winter...

2009 CTS-V
2008 C6 Convertible
2004 C5 ZO6

and with the HUGE discounts right now given on new cars... does this make the used car values drop too?

This is a hard question to answer because it purely speculative.

This said, I will place my money on the following assumptions (not facts):

Assumption/Fact 1: The C5 Z will be the cheapest. This time next year you should be able to get into an '04 in the mid to low 20s. This is without question the best value. Excepting the interior, there is nothing nothing about the C5Z that won't put a S#%T eating grin on your face for the money. For a couple $$ in mods, it will blow the doors off of most anything...Period. If I was a "smarter" man, I would have kept my C5 Z. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart.

Assumption/Fact 2: The C6 will be the most common. It should be available in the high20s-mid 30s and will likely get smoked by C5Zs unless your drop some $$ into it. Within a few years the C7 will be out and depreciation will hit the car pretty hard. Lot's of C6s have been sold to former BMW 3 and 5 series owners (no offense intended anyone).

Assumption/Fact 3: The V will still be very desirable, yet attainable in the low 40/high 30s. There will be a lot of smack being talked about the new "Super Sedans" that kicks the crap out of the V2, and we'll be sitting here on our rocking chairs arguing that our modded V will be faster and/or we didn't spend 100k, etc. Also, there will be a lot more V2s and V2 owners on the road...

YMMV

squale
10-02-09, 11:36 PM
I don't understand why a 2004 C5 Z06 would beat a C6 coupe or convertible? Isn't the C6 pushing more HP ?

NeedCTS-v
10-02-09, 11:52 PM
I don't understand why a 2004 C5 Z06 would beat a C6 coupe or convertible? Isn't the C6 pushing more HP ?

On paper the C5Z is only marginally better than the base C6. The main reasons for this is tire compound (non run-flat tires), stiffer chasis (fixed roof design offers almost no flex vs removable top). The C5Z is lighter than the base C6 and C6Z. The Z also has shorter gears.

The main difference is "seat of the pants". The Z feels like a muscle car. It is a lot of fun and it is wicked through the twisties!

The C6 is for all intents, a better, more refined car. The interior is better, the chassis has been reinforced (still not quite as stiff as the hard top). It has taller gears (even the Z51). The engine is more refined, the interior is much better. The C6 is a very competent car...IMHO it just isn't as fun as the Z.

At the end of the day, both cars are pretty similar. Both can be modded to spectacular result but the C5 will in my opinion be a better performance car (given equal mods) given it's lighter weight and stiffer body.

I'm not an expert so take my input with a grain of salt. Given my money, this how I would assess the options.
If I had an extra daily driver and the $$ to have a 2nd play car, I'd probably go C6Z (if I had the $$), then C5Z then C6.

If I had only one car. The V.

Aron9000
10-03-09, 01:26 AM
Go look at a used C6 Z06. Those things are a rocket ship, and are definetly in your price range.

Stingray23
10-03-09, 01:43 AM
comes down to whether or not you want a pure 2 seat sports car or a 4 door sports sedan.

Gary Wells
10-03-09, 06:48 AM
Regardless of what and how you choose, welcome to the forum.

Nutz
10-03-09, 08:40 AM
I own both a 2008 C6 convertible automatic and an 09 Cts-V manual. With much seat time in both, street and track. There are MANY differences that boil down to your priorities. I will describe it as short as possible.
First impression at a glance: Vette
Ride quality: V
Fuel mileage: Vette
Ease of getting in and out: V (but convertible helps in Vette)
Ability to do spirited driving invisibly with law enforcement nearby: V
Easier car to wash: Vette
Acceleration in the qtr mile: Tie (both 12.60's)
Handling: Tie (but I like the tail happy feeling of the heavy V)
Sound: V (because supercharger), but LS3 grunt is intoxicating
Stereo: V slams the door shut on the Vette's transistor radio
Braking: V feels rock solid compared to spongy Vette pedal
Transmission: V (fun to shift) BUT Vette has a very impressive automatic
Visibility and safety: V
Link between driver and road feeling: Vette
Highway noise: V (Vette is loud with top up, V is quiet as a church mouse)
Versatility for a family: Well, you know that one...
Resale/Market strength: My personal opinion is V, based on low production #'s
Affordability: Same price (new)

Most fun to drive: For me... V

People might think this is biased, based on the fact that this is the Cadillac Forum, but I had the Vette long before the V was built, and I have posted similar information on the Vette Forum.

I am a car enthusiast/collector that has a lot of seat time in many cars, and this is just my opinion.

Hawkeye2
10-03-09, 08:44 AM
I have an 08Z06 and an 09 CTSV - manual. The Z06 is more fun to drive period. However, if you ever need a back seat buy
the V. If 2 seats are just fine, buy the Vette!

squale
10-03-09, 01:11 PM
well I wonder how the prices will compare next winter.. for say a 2008 C6 convertible/coupe versus a 2009 CTS-V

what car do you think will be more expensive to buy used? probably would go for the dealer certified option..

also, is it a good idea to buy a 2009 CTS-V being it is the first model year of a redesigned car?? usually people stay to stay far away from first model years until they get all the kinks worked out..

NeedCTS-v
10-03-09, 01:25 PM
well I wonder how the prices will compare next winter.. for say a 2008 C6 convertible/coupe versus a 2009 CTS-V

what car do you think will be more expensive to buy used? probably would go for the dealer certified option..

also, is it a good idea to buy a 2009 CTS-V being it is the first model year of a redesigned car?? usually people stay to stay far away from first model years until they get all the kinks worked out..

I don't think that anyone can answer this first question for you. I'd do a little research especially given that you're a year away from your purchase. It doesn't seem like any decision you might make today will have any real impact this time next year (unless of course you buy something now). Spend some time looking at kbb and do a search for cost of ownership data. They do their best to anticipate depreciation and other operational costs.

What you'll find is that most cars are a terrible investment, that over a 5 year period Vettes seem to retain their value better than most in its class, and Vs (based largely on the V1) have a terrible rating but it's arguable if it is better/worse than Merc or BMW.

One last thing. It is certain that both of these cars will be cheaper next year. It really comes to value. Is the enjoyment you get for driving either car this year worth the cost of ownership. You're paying for the car and the depreciation. Is it worth it to you? Is it something you can afford? Are you trying to figure out if you'll be able to afford either car in a year from now?

As for 1 year models, generally your statement is true and their is generally no harm in waiting a year (unless you really want "rainsense" wipers). This being said, most of us on this forum are early adopters and with 10K on my car I'm very happy with my purchase.

YMMV

Good luck.

jjsC6
10-03-09, 05:49 PM
I've owned two C5 Vettes and four C6's - currently a 09 Z06. I've owned both LS2 and LS3 Vettes. I don't own a CTS-V, but I do have a 08 CTS and I just drove a V yesterday.

I won't try to add to what has been said above - I agree with most of the comments. But I will comment on the C5Z vs C6 non-Z. I did not own a C5Z, but have driven them a lot, and have run them side by side with both LS2 and LS3 Vettes.

The C5Z - stock for stock, is a near dead heat with a stock LS2, and slightly slower than a stock LS3. The Z has better 1/4 mile times posted on forums primarily because it launches better from a dead stop. But in side by side roll-ons, it will not outrun a C6 - if the C6 is a manual.

Now, the C5Z does feel like more of a performance car - it feels much more raw. When I got my first C6 in 05, I drove it back to back with two of my friends C5Zs more than once. Driving them, you would swear the C5Z was a lot faster than it is. If the thrill of feeling like you are diving a race car is something you want in a weekend car, the C5Z is fantastic. But the C6 runs and handles as well (with Z51), but is much more refined.

Many people didn't believe the C6 was as fast as it is until I turned a 12.49 @115 in one and posted on the Corvette forum. And I have very limited experiece in drag racing - my 60' time was a 1.96 on my best run, and most of my 60's are a hair over 2 seconds.

The other thing to consider is that you will have a hard time finding a C5Z that has not been modded and driven hard. I have a friend who traded a C5Z to a dealer with an aftermarket cam in it - and whoever bought it likely has no idea. He had a cold air intake and headers on it that he took off before trading it.

nradcad
10-03-09, 09:25 PM
I'm going to buy a dedicated track car soon and it will be a C5Z.

Caddyscat
10-03-09, 10:33 PM
Too bad 'vettes don't come with the Bad-ass Recaros our V's come with.

Caroutisine
10-03-09, 11:56 PM
All are excellent replies to this post. All I can add is that if it is a pleasure vehicle, and you have never owned a Vette, that's the ticket. I do love my V2 though.

Aron9000
10-04-09, 02:15 AM

I think that would be one of the first things I'd change if I owned a Vette. The seats are severely lacking in terms of lateral support and quality of the leather.

zr1vet
10-04-09, 08:31 AM
I took a friend to go pick up his new Grand Sport and while I was waiting I checked out all the new cars in the showroom. I couldn't believe that the Recaros aren't even an option on the Z06 or especially the $120k ZR1.

TX SS
10-04-09, 10:33 AM
I've owned two C5 Vettes and four C6's - currently a 09 Z06. I've owned both LS2 and LS3 Vettes. I don't own a CTS-V, but I do have a 08 CTS and I just drove a V yesterday.

Can you post your impressions of the C6Z and the CTS-V (knowing it is limited because you've only test driven)? I'm trying to decide between these two and I'd be interested in your perspective considering your discussion of the C5, C5Z and C6. Thanks!

jjsC6
10-04-09, 10:50 AM

After driving the V the other day with them, I think it's a show stopper for me (not the only reason I'm not buying a V though). I cannot let enough air out of the lumbar to be comfortable. It's always like someone has their fist in my back. This is a pet peave of mine - if you are going to make a seat with adjustable lumbar support, why start with too much to begin with?

jjsC6
10-04-09, 10:56 AM
Can you post your impressions of the C6Z and the CTS-V (knowing it is limited because you've only test driven)? I'm trying to decide between these two and I'd be interested in your perspective considering your discussion of the C5, C5Z and C6. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I did not drive the V on any roads with curves to check out the handling - so I have no first hand experience there.

I think the Caddy is a very refined car - even more so than the C6, which I consider a fairly refined sports car. The non-runflat tires help the ride, along with the magnetic ride suspension (which one of my C6's had as well).

Performance wise - in a straight line, I think the V and the LS3 Corvette feel pretty similar. The steering on the CTS seems better than the Corvette. GM has made upgrades to the C6 steering in 08, but it still does not have the road feel that I think it should. This is not a big deal, just an observation.

For a weekend toy I'd have to stick with the Corvette. Just something about one being a two seat sports car and the other a four door sedan. I'm not trying to use any logic in making that statement - but in my case I have to have a sensible sedan for my daily driver so it just doesn't make sense to me to have my weekend toy being another sedan. If I could not have a weekend car, then the V would be probably my first choice given the price range and performance.

Sorry I can't give more of a comparison - just not enough time in the V.

GM-4-LIFE
10-04-09, 12:33 PM
I have owned a 2001 C5, 2002 C5/Z06, 2003 C5/Z06, 2004 C5/Z06 and a 2005 C6 and have driven a lot of miles in a 2007 C6/Z06.

I have also owned a 2006 CTS-V and a 2007 STS-V before my current 2009 CTS-V and I can honestly say that the 2009 CTS-V is a better all around car than any of the Vettes I owned.

The CTS-V is refined, smooth, comfortable, classy and just a blast to drive.

Again, this is my opinion, but drive a Vette for 1 entire day without stopping and then do the same in the CTS-V and you will have your answer of what fits you best.

I could never stand the heat that would always come up in the cabin from the exhaust through the Corvette tunnel's torque tube area. Thank god the CTS-V doesn't have that issue. From what I understand, the 2009 and 2010 Vettes still have the heat issue that would burn your leg and make it so you permanently have to have the A/C blowing to keep you cool during drives, especially during the summer time. I know I am not alone with the heat complaint.

I also never liked being that close to the ground in the Corvette. Entering and exiting when you are 6'1" and 200+ lbs. in a Vette is not fun. The CTS-V is easy to enter and exit in and feels more like a real complete car. The Vette can be driven everyday, but I would keep it more for a Sunday driver. The great thing with the CTS-V is that you can take a few friends with you for the ride if you want. Can't do that in the Vette.

Hope this helps!

SG

jjsC6
10-04-09, 02:18 PM
I have owned a 2001 C5, 2002 C5/Z06, 2003 C5/Z06, 2004 C5/Z06 and a 2005 C6 and have driven a lot of miles in a 2007 C6/Z06.

I have also owned a 2006 CTS-V and a 2007 STS-V before my current 2009 CTS-V and I can honestly say that the 2009 CTS-V is a better all around car than any of the Vettes I owned.

The CTS-V is refined, smooth, comfortable, classy and just a blast to drive.

Again, this is my opinion, but drive a Vette for 1 entire day without stopping and then do the same in the CTS-V and you will have your answer of what fits you best.

I could never stand the heat that would always come up in the cabin from the exhaust through the Corvette tunnel's torque tube area. Thank god the CTS-V doesn't have that issue. From what I understand, the 2009 and 2010 Vettes still have the heat issue that would burn your leg and make it so you permanently have to have the A/C blowing to keep you cool during drives, especially during the summer time. I know I am not alone with the heat complaint.

I also never liked being that close to the ground in the Corvette. Entering and exiting when you are 6'1" and 200+ lbs. in a Vette is not fun. The CTS-V is easy to enter and exit in and feels more like a real complete car. The Vette can be driven everyday, but I would keep it more for a Sunday driver. The great thing with the CTS-V is that you can take a few friends with you for the ride if you want. Can't do that in the Vette.

Hope this helps!

SG

I'm on my fourth C6, and not a single one of them has ever put out heat in the interior, except inside the closed console. I've driven two of them at least 600 miles in a day (one of them over 1000 miles in a day). It was one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven that distance (I've done it many times in other cars).

I'm not saying it's more comfortable than a V on a long trip - but I've had no problems with comfort or heat in any of the C6s (or C5's for that matter).

Caroutisine
10-04-09, 06:40 PM
I also never noticed a heat issue on my C5 or C6. Again, If you are looking for a weekend pleasure car and have never owned one, get the Vette. You won't regret it :)

wfo
10-04-09, 07:06 PM
Just sold my sweet 08 black Z06..after 17 months just couldn't stand the limited usage of a 2 seater anymore. At one point in my ownership life with my 2nd Vette it was all about the image, the visual beauty and the in your face performance.

It does get old when you can't drive but one other person when you want. Putting cargo luggage, gear rerquires you to place a hand print smack dab on the rear hatch leaving a nice smudge everytime. Hated that on a black car. It really isn't all the comfy in all situations. The V is all performance and really when you get down to it it's an all around great car. Classic in styling, in your face performance and Oh so comfy.. That's IMHO.

4DOORZR1
10-04-09, 08:08 PM
I have a '03 C5Z and '09 V
The Z is my track car.
The V is my (better) street car.

62Jeff
10-04-09, 08:22 PM
After driving the V the other day with them, I think it's a show stopper for me (not the only reason I'm not buying a V though). I cannot let enough air out of the lumbar to be comfortable. It's always like someone has their fist in my back. This is a pet peave of mine - if you are going to make a seat with adjustable lumbar support, why start with too much to begin with?

I had the same problem, although that makes you and I maybe the only 2 people here who believe it is possible to not want Recaro's. I ended up with standard seats in my CTS-V and couldn't be happier. I don't track the car so the lack of all the extra lateral support provided by the Recaro's are a non-issue for me.

Jeff

Sorentj
10-04-09, 09:40 PM
Just got my Caddy 2010 - and this is for sure the best car I've ever had! - And I've had several BMWs and other nice things.

Talking ride quality, it wins big time over the Corvette, and comfort in general is great, - and it is fast! And I mean fast! Check it out before you decide!

Sorentj

RapidRob
10-04-09, 10:31 PM
Congrats! Is it a manual or automatic ... ?

Rob

JBsZ06
10-04-09, 11:13 PM
I had a worked c5 Z06 and it was a blast. Real race car for the street. Great experience and a great weekend toy but everyday it really wore you down.. (noise harmonics after an hour or two with cam and headers was tough to deal with over an hour on the highway.

Fast as hell and fun to own..

So even though I own a 300 hp 2008 cts with fe2 suspension.. One month after buying the AWD CTS I bought a new Manual transmission 08 z51 with NPP exhaust. Great vehicle... I use it almost everyday. This summer I had the top off all the time.. Got the best tan in years ...

Nothing beats cruising day in and day out with the top off and the wind blowing. The torque of the LS3 is what makes it so fast. The ride and handling and Noise isolation is far superior to the c5... and I could drive the car for hours on end and I am refreshed and feeling a lot better than when driving my modded c5 z.. The LS3 C6 Z51 is a luxury sports car without a doubt.. and the performance is equal to or better than the c5 z06.. I will mention at 18k miles I replaced the runflats with non runflat hankook tires and they are awesome. i recommend the swap to non runflats if you buy a c6 z51 and the tires wear out..(usually around 18K miles for most z51 cars during normal street driving)

All that said..If the cts v had been out when I bought my latest c6 z51 I probably would have bought the CTS V...

I drove it and its an awesome luxury sports sedan. At 50 years old..I like the luxury and power the CTS V offers.. I still dig the look of the vette..Its a wow every time I look at this black beauty..

Put it this way...

if you get the cts v and decide you'd rather have a manual c6 z51...then I'll gladly trade you..

The LS3 is a hell of a powerplant and the ride and handling of the Z51 C6 with roof off capability is great for a weekend toy (which you mentioned your looking for) fwiw..hopping out of the vette is a real eye opener for all those around you....even those who know nothing about cars.. the cars a real 2 seat beauty...

The CTS V is too.. but it doesn't quite pop every person as you drive by or get out of or get into the car..

Not that it matters that much but the vette is pretty dam sleek ...where as the CTS V is more subdued.. As cool as the vette but more subdued and a little more mature a vehicle..

HTH..

bk000
10-04-09, 11:29 PM
Ok, this is your play car right? If you've never owned the Vette get a C6 Vette.

I raced a C5 (sold), own a C6 (manual w/z51), and own the V2.

Get the C6 w/manual tranny (since its your weekend car) and have some fun!

Use the V2 for the daily beater.

Aron9000
10-05-09, 04:43 AM
If it were between a C5 Z06 and a base C6, I'd go for the C5 Zo6. The C5 Z06 is a more pure and direct driving machine. Its lighter and will outhandle a base C6, and will post identical quarter mile et's. Both cars have equally sucky seats and interiors IMO. That's always been my beef with Corvettes, Cadillac price, Cavilier interior. I really wouldn't mind the cheap plastics if they would put some honest to god decent seats like the Dodge Viper has.

The C6 will ride nicer and is quieter, but IMO a Vette in its purest form is not a luxury car, its a balls to the wall performance machine tuned to crank out the fastest lap time.

JBsZ06
10-05-09, 08:55 AM
If it were between a C5 Z06 and a base C6, I'd go for the C5 Zo6. The C5 Z06 is a more pure and direct driving machine. Its lighter and will outhandle a base C6, and will post identical quarter mile et's. Both cars have equally sucky seats and interiors IMO. That's always been my beef with Corvettes, Cadillac price, Cavilier interior. I really wouldn't mind the cheap plastics if they would put some honest to god decent seats like the Dodge Viper has.

The C6 will ride nicer and is quieter, but IMO a Vette in its purest form is not a luxury car, its a balls to the wall performance machine tuned to crank out the fastest lap time.

not to burst your bubble but the base C6 Z51 corvette will outperform a stock C5 Z06.. or at the very least equal it.

The C5 Z06 will feel racier...and lighter and quicker but in reality its performance is the same...

The C6 evolution just made the corvette faster, quieter and more comfortable.

If you dump the runflats on the c6 z51 it'll also feel much smaller in the sense of the c5 z06 and you still get open air driving...when you want..

The seats are an easy fix if you call it an issue.. Either replace them with seats of your choice (that fit) or increase the side bolster which is easy to do.. (Open up the cover and put the bolstering material on the blades/which takes a few minutes at best)

Its the low seat that needs easy entry that prevents more defined buckets from the factory...IMO and the interior is not low rent anymore either..Thats a story thats been told and now its old..

That said..for 20 -22 grand you can buy a C5 Z06 although it would probably be a 2002 instead of a 2004 C5 Z06..and its a great vehicle..

A great weekend toy.. for not a lot of cash.. Many low mileage versions out there to chose from. www.corvetteforum.com (http://www.corvetteforum.com) or www.z06vette.com (http://www.z06vette.com)

Want sunshine to bath you while your cruising...Which in the c6 is awesome..

436hp in a 3300 lb hydroformed frame rail sports car? (100 lbs more than c5 Z06 and only 75 lbs heavier when you dump the runflats) The LS3 C6 Z51 with NPP exhaust is a great canyon carver...

but the C6 Z06 without the removal of the top option is great too..

Just depends on your priorities..

All that said...I'd go for the CTS V if I had a do over..

For those in the know...the cars just a luxury beast of a car...

I'd say like the corvette...its world class and best in class too..

Decide your priorities before you drop the coin on either..

Fwiw..the corvette will save you quite a bit of money...(Id say in the range of 30 grand if you choose the c5 Z06 and a minimum of 10 grand if you chose the C6 Z51 with NPP)

Z06ified
10-05-09, 10:27 AM
"If I was a "smarter" man, I would have kept my C5 Z. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart."

OK, well, you helped me make up my mind whether or not to keep my '02 Z06 when I get my '10 CTS-V. I'm keeping the Z!
:thumbsup:

not to burst your bubble but the base C6 Z51 corvette will outperform a stock C5 Z06.. or at the very least equal it

They're very close, and actually the edge goes to the C5 Z06 in most performance metrics:

C5 Z06:
0-60: 4.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.4@117 MPH
skidpad lateral g's: 1.0 g
slalom speed: 70.3 mph
braking 60-0: 104 ft.
curb weight lbs: 3,118

C6 Z51 (436hp version)
0-60: 4.1 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.5@115 MPH
skidpad lateral g's: 0.97 g
slalom speed: 69.2 mph
braking: 60-0: 110 ft.
curb weight lbs: 3,285

Granted, 98% of the difference in performance has to do with the better tires the C5 Z06 came with. Ditch the runflats on the C6 and put on the same rubber as the C5 Z06, and the performance differences would probably be zero. One other advantage the C6 has that I haven't seen mentioned yet here, is the 2008 and later models have improved steering feel - much better than the numb C5 steering. Steering feel is subjective, but if it's important to you, it could be a deciding factor.

Jeffrey
10-05-09, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I bought an '09 CTS-V and an '09 C6 w/Z51 this summer. The V is my DD and the C6 is for weekend fun.

The OP is buying weekend fun and I'd recommend the C6.

If I could only have one of my cars, it would be the V.

I'm considering buying a C6 Z to be used strictly as a track car.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

JBsZ06
10-05-09, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I bought an '09 CTS-V and an '09 C6 w/Z51 this summer. The V is my DD and the C6 is for weekend fun.

The OP is buying weekend fun and I'd recommend the C6.

If I could only have one of my cars, it would be the V.

I'm considering buying a C6 Z to be used strictly as a track car.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey's right on the money.. Weekend toy? Nothing like taking the top off or down and enjoying that mountain drive...

Going out on the town with a beautiful young lady? Nothing better than driving to dinner with the top off and the stars above..

The corvette definitely has the whole James Bond styling thing going on for it and they really are not that much money.

Check over at www.corvetteforum.com (http://www.corvetteforum.com) for preowned or even new corvettes for sale. The pricing would shock you.

Want the best weekend track toy? C6 Z06 is smoking and I've seen low mileage versions going for mid 40's. Tempting as hell but for me...? but after 7 years of Z06 fixed roof ownership...I forgot how cool it is to drive with the top off both day and night...I really can't give that up...

Good luck deciding on what to buy.. but remember....for that supurb luxury car feel... that insane sports sedan experience with the capability of being an everyday driver for more than two people...The CTS V is the best ...

Dam fast ride!

squale
10-07-09, 09:53 PM
what would I be looking at paying for a used (dealer certified??) 2008 C6 Z51 convertible? how about non-convertible and non-z51?

would this car be cheaper say around this time next year to buy versus a 2009 CTS-V?

I do like having a convertible... my jeep wrangler right now I love driving around with no roof and doors...

JBsZ06
10-08-09, 07:22 AM
what would I be looking at paying for a used (dealer certified??) 2008 C6 Z51 convertible? how about non-convertible and non-z51?

would this car be cheaper say around this time next year to buy versus a 2009 CTS-V?

I do like having a convertible... my jeep wrangler right now I love driving around with no roof and doors...

I suggest a coupe with the targa removable roof if you plan to occassionally track the car. The tracks don't usually let you use a convertible without installing a roll bar and you can still get the benefit of letting the sunshine in.

Should you decide to get either I believe you will be making a smart decision.

Of course the year corvette you choose and its various options dicate price...but if your looking for a convertible. Traditionally they get about 5 grand more than the coupe of the same year.

IE. I had sold my 14000 mile mint 08 C6 Z51 NPP 1lt coupe for 37 grand to a gentleman in chicago but I cancelled the deal before he flew out because I couldn't give up the car. I guess that was about 8 months ago? (I was going to buy a Z06/ I'd say he wanted my particular car because I'm a 50 year old guy who doesn't abuse but rather takes excellent care of the car)

and that was a dam good price for my car. The prices of course have continued to drop. Figure a convertible would be about 5 grand more.

I suggest the Z51 and NPP options. They really do make the car that much nicer. The Z51 or F55 suspensions are worth getting. Both ride very nicely.

If you shop over at corvette forum there is continually an influx of cars to choose from and you can do a search on the owners past to see what type of use it had.

Good luck....Have fun and remember to wave as you pass other corvette owners...

Really great cars to own and probably one of the best preowned cars to buy. Most corvette owners take extremely good care of their cars and in this nutty economy there are quite a few excellent deals to be had..