: Winter Storage

AZstar
10-02-09, 07:03 AM
Any tips on storing the car for the winter? I've never stored a car before. I guess I need to get a battery maintainer, but should I leave the battery in the car or remove it? Should I put the car on blocks or let it sit on the tires? Gas tank full or empty? Any gas additives to use or any to avoid? I have an auto. Do I need to do anything special with the transmission? Anything else I've forgotten?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Caroutisine
10-02-09, 09:27 AM
Float charger on the battery and leave it in the car. Full tank of gas with Stabil fuel additive, cover it and that's all I have ever done. My V will brave it out this winter (within reason) can't be much worse than my '05 STS was in the snow :)

330toSRT8
10-02-09, 09:49 AM
I stored my 330ci for eight months. I put it on jack stands, disconnected the battery, filled up the tank, added Stabil, changed the oil, and covered the car. Then I did an oil change when I got back. Everything came out fine.

neuronbob
10-02-09, 10:52 AM
I store my S2000 in the winters. Battery charger (battery left in car), full tank of gas, Stabil, covered, drive once a month on a nice day with no salt on the roads to round out the tires. It's really not complicated.

I can hardly wait to get my V out in the snow this season. Yippee!

AZstar
10-02-09, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was expecting, but I have never done it before.

I wish that I could drive the V all year, but I live at the top of a hill and I routinely have pull my neighbors up the hill with my truck when it snows and I don't want to do that with the V.

Caroutisine
10-02-09, 03:16 PM
Oh yeah...I also try to have the oil changed before storing for the winter.

wait4me
10-02-09, 06:20 PM
To store it in winter, you just buy winter house in Florida or phoenix, Drive it there, and then use it all year long. :)

Hawkeye2
10-03-09, 09:49 AM
I store several cars in the winter. I fill the tank with fresh gas, change the oil, make sure the tires are full - maximum pressure. I use a
battery tender and leave the batteries connected. I'll try and drive them if the roads are clean and dry once a month. I've been doing
that for over 10 years now with no troubles at all.

Prof
10-03-09, 10:05 AM
I have two that are stored in the winter. Full tank of fuel with Stabil (to minimize condensation), jack stands, Battery Manager on each (Griot Garage has a very nice one). Windows closed, rodent chaser (plug in that you can purchase from Ace) and a quality cover.

The CTS V is a daily driver and I too am looking forward to driving it in the winter (with winter Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero's).

I do try to work my way around each vehicle with two or three coats of Zaino over our long winters here in northern Illinois. For the first winter in the past three years no major repairs are scheduled! Hip Hip!!