: Aftermarket Temp. Gauge

32vmonte
10-02-09, 12:37 AM
Where can I put the electronic sending unit? I have deleted the TB coolant deal and noticed the nipple for the source of it is on upper radiator hose. I haven't taken the bolt/nipple out yet but it looks like it holds the strut mount/engine lift hook on.

Question one is: once I am done lifting the motor and its in the car can I remove the bolt/nipple and replace it with my sender? It threads right in my new water log.

Question two: Is that a good spot to accurately measure engine temps? It's on the return side I believe which would be cooled off by the radiator.

My guess would be that it will not be a good location.

My only other option is to put it in the location of the stock sending unit but then I still need to have the stock unit to be somewhere also.

Question three: Is there a way to plume the oem and the after market in the same location on the head?

Motor is a 96 seville sts just in a different car.

Thanks

Dave

32vmonte
10-02-09, 09:18 AM
bump anyone? I am installing the motor today so it will almost be impossible after that.

Submariner409
10-02-09, 10:00 AM
Hmmmm......In my 2002 that hollow bolt/nipple which secures the lift hook is the purge line feed to the surge tank. The new water crossovers are designed to keep the throttlebody at coolant temperature in order to prevent bore icing. (Roughly the same idea as the older coolant-heated TB.)

EDIT at 1018......Take a look at "TB and IAC cleaning........." in Technical Tips. There's a whole sequence of pics which show the newer purge line attachment and routing.

Are you running OBD-II in the car/drivetrain ?? If so, you can monitor coolant temps and a LOT of other engine functions with a ScanGauge without extra sensors and wiring. Not as trick looking as a pillar pod, but more functional. www.scangauge.com

Ranger
10-02-09, 12:26 PM
:tisk: DO NOT bypass or block that purge line.

32vmonte
10-03-09, 01:13 AM
My coolant setup is different than in a cadi. I have to bypass it no matter what I would have adapt a cadi overflow tank to my monte and that will not work so well.

For the 96 it looks like from the water crossover there is the nipple that was connected to the throttle body by a hose, from the throttle body came another hose that had a bolt in it blocking the flow. If it was in a cadi it would go across the front valve cover and to the tank.

What happens if it does not have that purge line. On every vehicle I have heard off deleting the TB heater lines doesn't hurt a thing unless you drive in -30 degree temps.

So is that a yes that the coolant under the nipple is cooled already by te radiator and will not be a suitable reading point for the sender?

Also Ill add the car never used the TB coolant line since day one of the swap. Never made a issue, the never sealed HG's did tho lol.

32vmonte
10-03-09, 01:22 AM
Hmmmm......In my 2002 that hollow bolt/nipple which secures the lift hook is the purge line feed to the surge tank. The new water crossovers are designed to keep the throttlebody at coolant temperature in order to prevent bore icing. (Roughly the same idea as the older coolant-heated TB.)

EDIT at 1018......Take a look at "TB and IAC cleaning........." in Technical Tips. There's a whole sequence of pics which show the newer purge line attachment and routing.

Are you running OBD-II in the car/drivetrain ?? If so, you can monitor coolant temps and a LOT of other engine functions with a ScanGauge without extra sensors and wiring. Not as trick looking as a pillar pod, but more functional. www.scangauge.com

Im not sure on that. I will have to see if I have the plug under my monte's dash and plug a code scanner into it and see if it reads.

The car is a 95 so it is obd-1, the motor and pcm are obd-2. It has everything there like egr and evap. The egr works but the evap is there for looks it was not hooked up to the gas tank just a hose that ran to nowhere so in a state inspection on a obd-1 car it will look like its there.

If there is not plug IDK where I would hook the scangauge up at.

For w/e reason the temp in the dash does not work. Nor does the tach. Fuel and the MPH work flawlessly.

EDIT: Also does anyone know why there is not mass air flow. I don't under stand how the car runs without it. There are two sensors on my intake mani. can your engine run correctly with just a map sensor? This really confuses me.

Krashed989
10-03-09, 02:28 AM
If you plug that purge line, air will not be able to escape from the cooling system and the waterpump will cavitate, giving you little to no coolant flow.

Yes, earlier setups did not use a MAF sensor. The MAP sensor was all that was needed. However, if it doesn't have a MAF sensor, I would be inclined to think that the engine is actually a 95 rather than a 96.

I don't know where I would put an aftermarket CTS. Probably somewhere close to the current one. Maybe on the coolant crossover pipes or something.

32vmonte
10-03-09, 02:10 PM
If you plug that purge line, air will not be able to escape from the cooling system and the waterpump will cavitate, giving you little to no coolant flow.

Yes, earlier setups did not use a MAF sensor. The MAP sensor was all that was needed. However, if it doesn't have a MAF sensor, I would be inclined to think that the engine is actually a 95 rather than a 96.

I don't know where I would put an aftermarket CTS. Probably somewhere close to the current one. Maybe on the coolant crossover pipes or something.

There is a radiator cap that can release the air. I'm niot sure how it worked before without it but it did.

How would air be getting in there. Once you burp the system it should mostly be gone.

On my 3.1 monte it will release air pressure it's self after I have a hose off. He have to get the most of it out but while it was running you could see the air bubbles release into the overflow tank through the radiator cap.

32vmonte
10-03-09, 02:27 PM

Ok so I went back and looked, I have a 96 block and heads, with a 95 TB and Intake, and a 94 throttle cable bracket with the idle control motor on it.

The car is obd-1. The seville computer in the trunk is a 95 hooked up to a 96 block. I guess it works as long as it is all wired up correctly.

I wonder how they got around all the security stuff and ride control that was on the cadi.

Ranger
10-03-09, 09:38 PM
How would air be getting in there. Once you burp the system it should mostly be gone.
Cavitation from the water pump impeller.