: Hit by an air bag?

majax
07-30-04, 06:57 AM
I am just currious if anyone here has ever been hit by their Air Bag? I've never been and dont know of anyone who has. Whats it like, you prob think im crazy ;) ?

caddyshack24
07-30-04, 07:47 AM
I have. But it was right after the dash came flying at me, you know the peice that sits over the airbag. Wham, right in the chin, had a big scab there. was hard to eat anything.. took up my whole chin and the tip of my nose, nose is still a little crooked. It happened so damn fast though!!

I dont remember being hit with it, or the airbag deploying.. all i do remember really is seeing colors and then heading for the dashboard, a white pillow telling me i better not sleep.. and then it was over.

heyya, I'll even tell you about my near death experience real quick.
So i saw colors, headed for the dash.. saw more colors, looked around some.. hoped out and took off.. Now i feel like i'm dreaming, am i dead.. is this really happening type shit -- Then i got all religious (I dont belive in god) and felt like i had an angel with me.. pretty crazy stuff. Ever been so amazed at something your body tingled and felt light as a feather? Yeah.. like that

majax, we know you're crazy
Later, Eddie :coolgleam

carguy16
07-30-04, 10:39 AM
Yeh, the force that comes out of the air bag is astronomical. Keep in mind, there are 2 generations of air bags, the first generation was really rought, the second generation is 30 percent lighter.

I have read about a passenger side air bag in a Taurus deply, the plastic thing blew back and smashed the wind shield!

Also, more scary stuff, the way you hold the steering wheel is very important. Supposedly, your supposed to hold the wheel at the bottom if you have air bags. If your hands are at the top of the wheel and it deploys, it can break your wrists when it deploys, ouch!

Another thing thats creepy, having the air bag go out for no reason. I have heard stories of people hitting a pot hole and having it deploy, etc...Lets not forget, hitting the steering wheel, or honking the horn, then having something trigger the air bag, just imagine the forces. If your hand if honking the horn and the air bag deploys, your hand would probably snap and smash your hand, you would probably punch yourself in the face or stomach, and break your hand/arm in the process. Anothing thing thats bad, glasses, I havnt read stories on glasses shattering into your eyes when the air bags goes off, but I am sure it happens. I cant believe that some semi's have air bags, no thank you!!! But, who the hell need's an air bag in a semi, hitting a car in one of those is like smashing into a mail box in your car.

I know the Ford Focus had air bags deploy while people were driving down the road for no reason, scary. Just imagine driving and the air bag deploying at 200 MPH.

RBraczyk
07-30-04, 10:55 AM
This is why im glad i have no airbags.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 11:04 AM
i used to detonate airbags out of cars in the airforce , was great fun .

Last time i removed a 1rst gen bag from a dodge ram . At the time i was helping teach a airbag coaurse so i decided it would be a great idea to show how voilent these things are (for safety purposes). So i placed the airbag face down in the middle of the lot behind the shop and strecthed 2 50 foot wires from a battery to the bag . I then took the negitive wire and hooked it to the battery and hooked the positive and negeitive to the bag . All i had to do was strike the positive post on the battery to get it to deploy . The bag went 4 stories and back to the ground in less than 2 seconds . The inflator module gets wicked hot and turns a pruple color , water vaporizes on contact .

it made the students realize how important is it to pay attention and follow instruction when working on a airbag equipped vehicle.

edit : Little side note , the shop backed up to the folks at the Explosive Ordinace Disposal's office . Needless to say we had a couple very concerned sargents wanting to know what went "boom" and if it was something belonging to them . Luckily one drove a dodge ram so i showed him the bag and told him i got it from his truck . Man was he sweating balls when he went to go check his truck.

majax
07-30-04, 05:21 PM
I have. But it was right after the dash came flying at me, you know the peice that sits over the airbag. Wham, right in the chin, had a big scab there. was hard to eat anything.. took up my whole chin and the tip of my nose, nose is still a little crooked. It happened so damn fast though!!

Thats crazy so the whole dash comes off it just doesnt rip open in a certain spot. Cause in my '99STS there is not actual piece that pops off for the air bag. So the whole dash top comes off?

if that nose is crooked still get plastic surgery :bouncy: j/k.

carguy16
07-30-04, 08:30 PM
i used to detonate airbags out of cars in the airforce , was great fun .

Last time i removed a 1rst gen bag from a dodge ram . At the time i was helping teach a airbag coaurse so i decided it would be a great idea to show how voilent these things are (for safety purposes). So i placed the airbag face down in the middle of the lot behind the shop and strecthed 2 50 foot wires from a battery to the bag . I then took the negitive wire and hooked it to the battery and hooked the positive and negeitive to the bag . All i had to do was strike the positive post on the battery to get it to deploy . The bag went 4 stories and back to the ground in less than 2 seconds . The inflator module gets wicked hot and turns a pruple color , water vaporizes on contact .

it made the students realize how important is it to pay attention and follow instruction when working on a airbag equipped vehicle.

edit : Little side note , the shop backed up to the folks at the Explosive Ordinace Disposal's office . Needless to say we had a couple very concerned sargents wanting to know what went "boom" and if it was something belonging to them . Luckily one drove a dodge ram so i showed him the bag and told him i got it from his truck . Man was he sweating balls when he went to go check his truck.

What exactly do you do Stonage Caddy? I know you detonate stuff, but what exactly do you do? I noticed you detonate air bags, but still curious...

UNLESS! There are people that place air bags in fields, kinda like land mines, but they call them "Air bag mines" someone steps on the air bag, ****BOOOM**** broken bones or someones goin' flying! :bighead:

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 08:50 PM
I was an Airforce Firetruck mechanic , when my shop was slow i pimped myself out to the other shops to take care of other types of vehicles , id also farmed myself out to other things like classes .

Right now i just go to school and work for the VA , looking into becomeing a shop teacher at a tech school . Takeing care of the rest of my ASE certification requirements right now .

As a mechainc that was raised in indiana and in the south ive deloped a habit of makeing things go boom , im fairly sure my last words will be "hey yall watch this!"

caddyshack24
07-30-04, 08:55 PM
Thats crazy so the whole dash comes off it just doesnt rip open in a certain spot. Cause in my '99STS there is not actual piece that pops off for the air bag. So the whole dash top comes off?

if that nose is crooked still get plastic surgery :bouncy: j/k.

It just brakes away in a spot.. enough for the airbag to unroll and inflate, they say it deploys in about the same amount of time it takes to blink your eye. It'd have to, if you want it out before you come to a dead stop at 60 mph.

I think yours would be in the front of the dash, it's there.. i know that. Also one is in your steering wheel. Thats what carguy was talking about, it going off and breaking your arm. I can get you a picture of it.. if you wanna see.

lol, i heard about people trying to jump start another car.. and the bumpers touched .. boop, air bags deployed, costs like 300$ (?) to get them re-packaged.

for the nose.. haha plastic surgery? you can't be serious. Thats like me swinging this hammer at a construction site:

John Caddy
07-30-04, 09:58 PM
I am just currious if anyone here has ever been hit by their Air Bag? I've never been and dont know of anyone who has. Whats it like, you prob think im crazy ;) ?

Driving my 98 expedition in Feb '00, a 13 ton panel truck blew the light at 45 mph and got my smack in front left corner - airbag was so fast it was deflating before I knew it had gone off - air was filled with smoke and powder and I couldn't see, chest hurt so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

Don't recomend it but it beat the alternative!

Msilva954
07-30-04, 10:09 PM
I havent and hope not too.....but my mother has...and she had nasty air bag burns on her face and arm.........from what she say it has a nasty acid like substance come out of it too.......but she says it is better then when her head hit the "A" Piller.....that required plastic surgery.....

I say the bags are better.......from experience of seeing someone in both an airbag accident and a non-air bag accident.

majax
07-30-04, 10:49 PM
Your moms driving sounds scary due to the fact she has been in two decent sized accedents, I mean the air bag went off in one. Or is Miami a bad place to drive?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Msilva954
07-31-04, 12:59 AM
BAD PLACE.....both were not her fault.....both times the guys were drunk..(she works night shift) and happens to work for the sheirffs office......we have the most uninsured people down here..

D148L0
07-31-04, 03:05 PM
Also, more scary stuff, the way you hold the steering wheel is very important. Supposedly, your supposed to hold the wheel at the bottom if you have air bags. If your hands are at the top of the wheel and it deploys, it can break your wrists when it deploys, ouch!
Carguy, I am curious about where did you get that stuff. I couldn't believe anybody would recommend to hold the wheel at the bottom, so I did a little research. From the University of Oklahoma Police Department http://www.ou.edu/oupd/kidseat.htm
"To the extent possible, the driver should hold the steering wheel from the sides so that his or her arms arenít between the driver and the air bag. This arm positioning reduces the risk of arm and hand injuries."

who the hell need's an air bag in a semi, hitting a car in one of those is like smashing into a mail box in your car.
Er... maybe because it's possible to crash with another hemi, a house, a train, a tree, a topographical accident, etc, etc, etc?
I agree, air bags can produce serious injuries. But they can save your life, and that makes those injuries a lot less important.

majax
08-01-04, 07:40 PM
Yeah in Drivers ed(i finished the 15th) they are now tellin us to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock(middle). My mom told me to stay at 10 and 2 though "better control". Also havent you heard of people that had their hand on top of the wheel and when the bag deployed it made their hand knock them unconcious. Also holding the wheel on the top with your palm up and your fingers wraped around, well when it goes off then not only do you kill your wrist but, like I said knock yourself unconcious(and thats if you let go in time).

Msilva954
08-01-04, 07:44 PM
Problem is, is that no matter where you hold it......once you realize an accident will occur, its instinct to grab the wheel at the sides or the 11 oclock.....1 oclock positions.....which is bad if you have an air bag.

RBraczyk
08-02-04, 12:32 AM
Yeah in Drivers ed(i finished the 15th) they are now tellin us to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock(middle). My mom told me to stay at 10 and 2 though "better control". Also havent you heard of people that had their hand on top of the wheel and when the bag deployed it made their hand knock them unconcious. Also holding the wheel on the top with your palm up and your fingers wraped around, well when it goes off then not only do you kill your wrist but, like I said knock yourself unconcious(and thats if you let go in time).

I love when people get in my truck and i drive most of the time with my hand at the top of the wheel and the'yre like, "your gonna break your nose when the airbag blows" and i look at them and say. (i drive a 94 chevy blazer, full size, pre-airbag) "please guide me to my airbag" And then they look puzzled and shut up. Plus that would never happen in an accident because you would see something go wrong, and both hands would be at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 or 10:15 and 3:45 :)

majax
08-02-04, 01:27 AM
:histeric: yeah good point

airbalancer
08-02-04, 08:56 AM
I love when people get in my truck and i drive most of the time with my hand at the top of the wheel and the'yre like, "your gonna break your nose when the airbag blows" and i look at them and say. (i drive a 94 chevy blazer, full size, pre-airbag) "please guide me to my airbag" And then they look puzzled and shut up. Plus that would never happen in an accident because you would see something go wrong, and both hands would be at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 or 10:15 and 3:45 :)

Ahhh, the young thinkthey are invinciable! Never say never.
Was doing somework at a M-B autobody and a car was bought in, there was just big red lipstick lips on the bag.

caddyshack24
08-02-04, 04:20 PM
Ahhh, the young thinkthey are invinciable! Never say never.
Was doing somework at a M-B autobody and a car was bought in, there was just big red lipstick lips on the bag.

lol, better than being on her ass.. as in kissing it goodbye.
I personally wouldnt be caught dead without an airbag.. or would i, hmm ;)

carguy16
08-03-04, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind, your probably gripping the wheel tightly. When that air bag deploys, its big, and it goes off at 200 MPH. But, more then likely you will know your going to hit someone, maybe a 1 second or 2 seconds. The worst case scenario someone runs a red light and you dont see them, and instant deploying of the air bags.

Also, for those guys that dont wear your seat belt, when the air bag goes off and your not strapped in, it will do more damage, because your not being restrainted, your going to be punched by the air bag, it can break some bones, or do other damage.

Here's a joke for you guys since you mentioned lip stick on the steering wheel, "Why was their lipstick on the blondes steering wheel?"

The answer is, she was trying to blow the horn.