: A 4,934-mile Road Trip

mik2718
10-01-09, 01:24 PM
After spending 3 months putting the first thousand miles on my '09 V, I finally took it on a road trip. Texas to Maine (and back). 1180 miles on the odometer to start, 6114 when I got back -- a distance of 4934 miles.

About 525 pounds of people and stuff on board and it's an automatic. Bought Shell 93 (or 91) whenever possible and discovered that too many states pollute gasoline with "up to 10% ethanol."

I was interested in how the mileage would compare to the EPA highway rating of 18 and kept records for each fillup. Much of the travel was over interstates and was typically 4 mph over the posted limit (I'm not claiming that I never drifted a little higher, but I never encountered speed enforcement officers), but a substantial amount of driving was on roads like US2, US4, and US1 in New England, as well as side streets in scenic little towns.

Best tank was 21.7 (calculated) and least good was 18.1. The comparison between DIC MPG numbers and calculated numbers was generally close, although not consistently higher or lower in either direction. Overall MPG for the entire trip was 20.1 (4934 miles on 244.975 gallons) and the overall weighted DIC average was 20.2.

Also, oil life was 99% at the start and 62% at the end.

One other thing: the V is a great car! Always comfortable, effortless power, and fun to drive.

330toSRT8
10-01-09, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a good time. Very impressive fuel economy for such a long trip. Based on the oil life percentage you provided, you won't have an oil change until 16k miles. How many quarts of oil does the V hold?

nynd
10-01-09, 03:46 PM
A little over 5 based on my last oil change - changed it at 1000 kms..

mik2718
10-01-09, 03:47 PM
I changed the oil at just over 1000 miles, shortly befire starting the trip. The oil life monitor was down to 82% at that time. I don't know what/how many factors are built into the oil life algorithm, but it's not strictly just miles traveled.

6 quarts (according to the manual).

330toSRT8
10-01-09, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'm sure there are sensors to determine how many contaminants are in the oil. My 330ci had something like that. I ended up changing the oil every 14k miles, but that was a 3.0L engine with 7 quarts of oil. I'm surprised the CTS-V has such long interval when it uses less oil for an engine more than double the volume.

62Jeff
10-01-09, 07:23 PM
The oil life monitor was down to 82% at that time. I don't know what/how many factors are built into the oil life algorithm, but it's not strictly just miles traveled.

In the new corvettes, and therefor I assume the CTS-V, it includes the quality of the driving patterns (short trips, long trips, hard trips, easy trips) or things like that. Driving my 07 home from the corvette museum when it was brand new, the oil usage monitor moved very little for the 900+ miles that it took me to get home over 2 days. It moves much more rapidly as I drive 3.3 miles back and forth to work.