: GMs Drive By Wire

majax
07-30-04, 05:50 AM
What do you think of this new way of working things in the car. Drive by wire if you dont know what it is, it replaces the mechanicle things like instead of like hydrolics and whatever that go into makeing like the gas pedal work :confused:. Its all replaced by a wire that tells something to open up the air intake. Its suposed to be faster and what not. Just I dont think it would be that great with the steering of the car cause then you cant really get the feel for it and all. The 2005 STS uses DBW tech in its gas pedal.

airbalancer
07-30-04, 06:33 AM
My son is taking areospace engineering, he said most of the large airplane or drive by wire, I ca not see space ships having drive by wire. If it ok for them it is ok for me.

Vesicant
07-30-04, 09:25 AM
I recall pilots complaining or mentioning about not having control feedback... some like fly by wire, others dont. As for cars, yep... its going to have to take a lil getting use to. I suppose they could put feedback controls on the steering though. It just wont feel the same.

As for electronic throttle... The last years of the Catera have it, (our 2000 does), the CTS, XLR, SRX and I believe Escalade too. The DeVille still runs the original N*star as does the early model Seville.

We didnt even know about it until some fine'r research was done. There are some issues i guess on some models (Not cadillac) with response times, the computer reacting etc. usually software updates were done.

Electronic throttle by wire has been around since 1988 when it was introduced on the 7 series.

http://www.picotech.com/auto/applications/electronic_throttle_control.html

gothicaleigh
07-30-04, 09:35 AM
I agree that drive by wire is nothing new. In fact, you have probably driven a car with it and never even noticed. Some of the systems are that good.

As for the steering, GM already uses artificially weighted steering on many of it's cars and how it translates the feel of the road surface to the steering wheel on cars such as the new Caddys is excellent. A full drive by wire system is only a step away.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 10:17 AM
Fly by wire came out on the F-16 , was the first fighter in the world with it .

Corvettes Silverados and SSR's are a few of the GMs have that fly by wire accelerator i belive our MAXX has it too . Corvette is the most interesting as it decides what you get when you push the gas pedal , the system might give you wide open throttle when you request it if it feels like its ready for WOT.

Merecedes benz is getting ready to introduce brake by wire on its flagship sedan .but that scares me .

Most of the firetrucks were drive by air , airline's connteced the gas pedal to the engine that sat 40 feet behind you .

Imprl59
07-30-04, 11:45 AM
Gut reaction is that I wouldn't want it. I drive a ten year old Deville and average replacing one electronic piece a month for the last six months. So now when my sensors fail the car turns left and drives itself in to a wall? I'm sure they will have all sorts of backup and redundancy built in but I think I will wait. :-)

And why would you need the accelerator pedal wired? They couldn't find enough room for that 1/8 inch thick cable? What are the advantages of such a system?

Steve B.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 11:59 AM
Gas Mileage is a big one from what ive heard

Ive noticed throttle response issues on alot of them

ShadowLvr400
07-30-04, 01:15 PM
I have a worry, what happens if you lose power while driving, ie, your alternator explodes and takes the battery out with it? Do you have to coast in whatever direction the car is pointing till you stop? I like the mechanical backup, with hydraulic aids. If you lose power, you have to muscle the car, but it is still controllable. Too much electronic control worries me. Other issues would be essentially EMP. Not like the EMP pulse with nuclear bombs, etc, but EM interference. Cell phones, laptops, radios, radar, microwave, etc. There's a lot of EM signals in the air at any time. What if they interrupt or confuse something? Was at a dealership the other day, a lady brought in a Honda for airbag warning light triggering when she left work. Every day she left work. She works at a hospital, apparently all the stuff there triggers the sensor. Not reassuring IMO.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 03:24 PM
yah i hear ya , Ford has trouble with throttle by wire on the focus WRC car last year , cost them a stage more than once . driver carried a cable with him to attach the pedal to the engine in case the fly by wire went out so he could limp the car thru the stage and get to the service truck .

thats the problem with modern cars , there is so many electronics if you loose the alternator and draw out the battery your done , in the good ol days you could drive for 2-3 hours on battery alone as long as you didnt use any acessorys .

I imagine the brake by wire system has a backup capacitor and battery to allow you to bring the car to a stop , similar to the vaccum reserve in your power brake booster

majax
07-30-04, 04:30 PM
so then would brake by wire have little motors that compress the brake pads onto the discs?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-04, 04:39 PM
brake by wire pretty much exists on our cars , the ABS system . this is the natural evolution of Our ABS system . now they remove the driver from the system , the driver just issues a requset for brakes and the ABS system delivers the request useing the standard system parts like the pump and solenoids

Msilva954
07-30-04, 09:20 PM
I prefer mechanical linkage....we have gotten by with it for 100 yrs....why must we change now.....Mercedes has it in the brakes too and they say for 2006 they are taking it off the options list and standard feature list.....I agree with them.

They have already recalled so many.

Vesicant
07-30-04, 09:48 PM
Yep, MB having problems with their brake by wire... luckily they were smart and have a backup hydrolic system :bonkers:

majax
07-30-04, 09:51 PM
I wonder how it feels to have the brakes go out on your $100,000+ Mercedes?

Msilva954
07-31-04, 12:00 AM
I wonder how it feels to have the brakes go out on your $100,000+ Mercedes?
Expensive :rolleyes2 :bonkers:

airbalancer
07-31-04, 09:00 AM
In HVAC and electronic controls that came out in the late 80's to mid 90's were very bad, alot of trouble. The electronic controls now are very go, and much easier to control then the old compressed air systems.
Mars Rover would be drive by wire (DIW)and it is working great.
It is only a matter time and everything will DIW

Msilva954
07-31-04, 09:25 AM
Looks like my cars for the rest of my life will be 2003 and under.

Devil_concours
07-31-04, 10:42 PM
i hate throttle by wire on my car. Sometime there is a second or more delay and it seems way too dangerous to drive around. (This is confirmed by the shop forman at lindsay cadillac and there is nothing he can do. He said that other cts exhbit same problem)

majax
07-31-04, 11:21 PM
DUDE that stinks really sorry about that, its supposed to make the reaction time faster :disappoin . What if you replaced it all :confused:

Devil_concours
07-31-04, 11:28 PM
DUDE that stinks really sorry about that, its supposed to make the reaction time faster :disappoin . What if you replaced it all :confused:
problem with it is that it doesn't happen all the time and when it does it's horrible

gothicaleigh
08-01-04, 08:16 AM
problem with it is that it doesn't happen all the time and when it does it's horrible

That is GM's excuse.
Replace your airbox so your engine can breathe better (the CTS is highly restrictive)and your 'throttle by wire' problem will disappear. At least that's what I experienced.

Does the delay become more pronounced when your engine bay is hot? Lack of cold air being pulled in explains why it is an intermittant problem.

Devil_concours
08-01-04, 09:48 AM
That is GM's excuse.
Replace your airbox so your engine can breathe better (the CTS is highly restrictive)and your 'throttle by wire' problem will disappear. At least that's what I experienced.

Does the delay become more pronounced when your engine bay is hot? Lack of cold air being pulled in explains why it is an intermittant problem.
That's strange. It does seem like it happens more on hot days.
And i just installed the volant intake few days ago. We will see how it goes.

majax
09-17-04, 10:06 PM
I think I know the reason for Throtle by wire is, When your on the highway(say goin 50) with a car that doesnt have throtel by wire you have to push the gas pedal a bit harder to go an extra 5mph than you would if you were goin 20mph. So with drive by wire the gas pedal is equaly consistant(sensitive) at 80 mphas well as 20mph.

Just a guess.

Devil_concours
09-18-04, 09:42 AM
well after driving with volant cold air intake kit installed, problem is near non-existant as gothicaleigh said it would