: 1978 Chev "Bonanza" truck

Ralph
07-30-04, 05:15 AM
My Dad has a couple of vehicles for sale, and believe me they are mint. He has no idea what they are worth.

1978 Chev half ton, 350 4 bbl., around 60,000 miles, 2 tone brown and tan color, orangish interior (nice velour cloth) gauge package, only a couple of stone chips. The original paint is mint, always garage kept. Driven maybe a couple of winters but always washed and waxed. (I know because I did them) Original rad hoses even!

1979 Chev Nova. Lighter brown and minty as well. Unfortunately it's a 4 door. 305 4 bbl and low mileage also.

I know the Nova probably isn't worth as much but my cousin said he saw a truck like this on the net for 12-15,000 Cdn! Could it really be worth that much?

p.s. As far as I've heard "Bonanza" was a special edition truck built only for Western Canada and I've NEVER seen another one.

brougham
07-30-04, 06:10 PM
Get them apraised or see if you can find anything like them for sale in your area. That's the only way you're really going to find out how much they're worth.

c5 rv
07-30-04, 08:55 PM
I'd love to have that truck, but I don't have the garage space.

Ralph
07-31-04, 01:46 AM
Get them apraised or see if you can find anything like them for sale in your area. That's the only way you're really going to find out how much they're worth.

There is no way we can compare this truck to another, they are all rusted out from use on farms, etc. He should probably get it appraised but I know he wouldn't bother, he'll just hold out for the best offer I imagine. It's always nice to have a truck around in case you move, etc. but they don't need it anymore.

C5 RV, I should have also mentioned it has the factory white painted mag-type rims. This thing would look awsome with some nice chromes or something. Sure wish I had a scanner. Maybe if I can run into my computer programmer friend, I can borrow his digital camera again and get him to burn some pics on disc to show.

c5 rv
07-31-04, 09:17 AM
Yes, pics would be good! Despite my wife's objections, I am going to get another truck sometime. I'll have the use of my son's S-10 when he is deployed (USMC) later this month. I'll have to get something of my own next year. As great as having a classic would be, I'll probably pick up a late model 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab. The truck has to live outside and be more resistant to rust than the classics.

Ralph
07-31-04, 05:20 PM
Yes, pics would be good! Despite my wife's objections, I am going to get another truck sometime. I'll have the use of my son's S-10 when he is deployed (USMC) later this month. I'll have to get something of my own next year. As great as having a classic would be, I'll probably pick up a late model 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab. The truck has to live outside and be more resistant to rust than the classics.

Ya, probably more practical to get a newer one. I think paint and primer quality is better today, and every older one I ever see has rust, etc.

Best of luck to your son, whereever he is deployed.

brougham
07-31-04, 05:43 PM
There is no way we can compare this truck to another, they are all rusted out from use on farms, etc. He should probably get it appraised but I know he wouldn't bother, he'll just hold out for the best offer I imagine.

That's true but you never know what you'll see pop up for sale if you start watching for things regularely. There are probably a few floating around especially in Western Canada so you never know when one might pop up. If he does want to sell it even if he just starts driving it around sometimes someone might see it and want to buy it or might start talking about someone who is interested in them who might know about something.

Do a search on Google for those trucks. I did one the other day and found some things about those Bonanza ones. It sounds like it's just a normal trim package that you could get on them because there were sites from the US talking about it.

Vesicant
07-31-04, 06:52 PM
I found a pic of a 78' Bonanza , for about $8k with 47,047 miles.

Silver and red:

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/5/7/7/105803775.jpg

Ralph
08-01-04, 12:07 AM
Do a search on Google for those trucks. I did one the other day and found some things about those Bonanza ones. It sounds like it's just a normal trim package that you could get on them because there were sites from the US talking about it.

I remember doing a search when I first got the net, but I guess I wasn't good at it. :confused: I guess my friend was wrong, it wasn't a Western Canuck package then? The thing is, how many of you guys have actually SEEN another Bonanza!? I've NEVER been able to and I see tons of Wranglers, Silverados, Scottsdales, etc.

Jeffery, where did you find that!! That's it except the running boards, aftermarket locking gas cap, bush bar in front and the rims. (and color of course) There is something about the rims on that one that make it look newer than it is. The price of 8k U.S. would be on par what I heard for here. (12k or so) I'd better tell my Dad about this price.

Ralph
05-15-05, 07:13 PM
Yes, pics would be good!

OK, FINALLY got some pics of Dad's MINT truck last week, as we uncovered it and took it for a run. It has 96,000 kms or just around 60,000 miles like I thought. All it ever needed is tires, shocks, and general oil changes. All hoses ORIGINAL and excellent condition!

RBraczyk
05-15-05, 07:27 PM
Get pics of that nova, never seen a 4 door nova

Ralph
05-15-05, 07:30 PM
Get pics of that nova, never seen a 4 door nova

NOW you tell me!! LOL! It was covered but I'll try next time I'm back.

Oh C'mon, you must have seen a 4 door Nova??!!

RBraczyk
05-15-05, 07:36 PM
Neva seen one. I'm kinda interested to see what one looks like.

Ralph
05-15-05, 07:41 PM
Neva seen one. I'm kinda interested to see what one looks like.

I only have this crappy old pic taken in 1989 of it and it's still in the same condition....you can't see much of it though and it was our old house before we sold it that year. I guess the rear-end got a little saggy since then and might need a new leaf-spring.

RBraczyk
05-16-05, 12:10 AM
I'd buy it but your too far away.

Elvis
05-16-05, 12:16 AM
http://bonanza1.com/album/album04/hossst.jpg

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi/bonanza.mid

Ralph
05-16-05, 12:27 AM
http://bonanza1.com/album/album04/hossst.jpg

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi/bonanza.mid

What was the link? It disappears when you click it.

Elvis
05-16-05, 12:38 PM
You need Quicktime. It's free.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

Randy_W
05-17-05, 08:45 AM
The Bonanza was a trim package available nationwide, I saw several back when they were new.:thumbsup:

Ralph
05-17-05, 06:40 PM
The Bonanza was a trim package available nationwide, I saw several back when they were new.:thumbsup:

So what might an American pay for this truck if it's minty? What's the ceiling, we need some ideas.

Randy_W
05-17-05, 11:51 PM
I'd say $5-$8K for a nice one , a perfect truck might fetch more.

Elvis
05-17-05, 11:53 PM
I would give about $4K for one, but I'm probably low.

I saw somebody with a Chevy Cheyenne 350 the other day. Really nice truck, some old man driving it.

Ralph
05-17-05, 11:56 PM
I'd say $5-$8K for a nice one , a perfect truck might fetch more.

Trust me, this one is about as perfect as one can be. It's like the seats have no wear either. It was winter driven some years but it just goes to show what a little care and a good pressure wash in winter can do for a vehicle.

Ralph
05-18-05, 12:56 AM

My question would be what happened to them!!! I've NEVER seen another....

kinda like the Olds Calais from around 1990. Where are they??

Randy_W
05-18-05, 08:24 AM
My question would be what happened to them!!! I've NEVER seen another....

kinda like the Olds Calais from around 1990. Where are they??

The '73-'80 trucks were awful rust buckets, they had good drive trains but the body panels would rust and fall on the ground! Starting during the 1980 model run all panels became 2 side galvanized and lasted much better.

Elvis
05-18-05, 10:35 AM
I guess that's why J.C. Whitney sells replacement body panels for mid-70's trucks like that. You can do a complete cosmetic re-build on a truck like that, including a new bench, carpet, and interior door panels for just a couple thousand $.

Ralph
05-18-05, 05:03 PM
The '73-'80 trucks were awful rust buckets, they had good drive trains but the body panels would rust and fall on the ground! Starting during the 1980 model run all panels became 2 side galvanized and lasted much better.

I remember Toyota minivans back about 10 or so years had bad rust because they used double layered ? steel. What supposedly happened was moisture got in between the layers and eventually rusted from the inside out.

Randy_W
05-18-05, 10:59 PM
Hell, the the Toyota and Nissan pick up's would rust so badly that cargo would fall out the bed sides! All brands pretty much fixed thier rust problems during the eighties, GM was first then Chrysler and Ford, the Japs were a little longer getting to it.

Ralph
05-20-05, 02:55 AM
Hell, the the Toyota and Nissan pick up's would rust so badly that cargo would fall out the bed sides! All brands pretty much fixed thier rust problems during the eighties, GM was first then Chrysler and Ford, the Japs were a little longer getting to it.

Maybe I'm thinking of the late '80's/ early '90's Toyota minivan, I think they were ugly as hell and a lot of them had rust around the lower parts of the doors and rocker panal, etc.