: Heat on Passenger side, but not on Drivers side?

Black Hole
09-30-09, 12:41 AM
I haven't owned the car a week and I'm already starting to regret it. :mad:

Temps have been moderate for the past week and I've only had the drivers side climate control set in the mid 60's-low 70's.....I did notice that the air was fairly cool even if I turned the knob up a few degrees, but I just turned down the fan as it wasn't that cold. Tonight it's down in the 50's here, so I turned the temp up a little but noticed that I didn't have any heat on my side, but there was heat coming out of the passenger side vents.

I then turned the drivers control knob to 90*, fan on high, and let it go for 30 seconds....then did the same for the passenger side. Drivers side blows cold (like a/c cold), but passenger side is nice and toasty.

I searched but didn't find this exact situation.

Any ideas?

Black Hole
09-30-09, 02:30 PM
I'm the only one who has run into this problem?

How does the car handle the dual climate zones.....servos?

I guess I'll break out the service manual and memorize the HVAC system tonight....

kdstrum
09-30-09, 03:40 PM
Youu have to check the vent doors under the dash. i think you have a bad vent motor the part is about 50.00 its just a little hard to get to. check the CTS forums other people there has had this problem

Matera97
09-30-09, 05:42 PM
Let me know what you find in the service manual, I'm having similiar symtoms but on the opposite side

Black Hole
09-30-09, 05:56 PM
Youu have to check the vent doors under the dash. i think you have a bad vent motor the part is about 50.00 its just a little hard to get to. check the CTS forums other people there has had this problem

Thanks....I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Angry Matt
09-30-09, 08:17 PM
Is it possible that it's not a dual climate issue? I have a '95 deville and am having the same issue. Blazing heat for the passenger, but ice cold for the driver. There is a thread about this in the FWD deville past forum and they are suggesting the problem is in the heater core but no one has found the solution. I haven't gotten that far yet in my explorations, but my heater doors are functioning as they should be.

Black Hole
10-01-09, 12:06 AM
I didn't have a chance to get under the dash or examine the service manual tonight, but I did notice something and I think kdstrum is on the right path...

If I adjust the temp (from like 65-85*) on the driver side knob, I can hear a "spinning clicking" coming from behind the dash....like when a motor is spinning freely or a gear isn't engaged and its hitting against something.
If I adjust the temp (from like 65-85*) on the passenger side knob, I can hear a much quieter "spinning" sound like the motor is turning a gear that is engaged with another gear.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow night.

kdstrum
10-01-09, 09:15 AM
don't go to the dealer they wanted 345.00 to fix are you getting any codes

Black Hole
10-01-09, 10:49 AM
No codes, well the codes that I have are for the MAF but I'm working on that.....just the noises and cool (outside air tempature) air on the driverside regardless of the temp setting and cool or warm air from the passenger side depending on the temp setting so that side appears to be working correctly.

I have heat on the passenger side when the temp is up, so I don't see it as a thermostat/heater core issue unless there are seperate systems for the driver and passenger sides.

Black Hole
10-01-09, 11:15 PM
kdstrum is the winner!!!!

I had half the interior (lower dash, center console, etc...) pulled apart before figuring out that I could reach the stupid thing without removing a screw.....and I ended up cracking the superglue that was previously holding the gear selector indicator cover to the rest of the assembly. I currently have that rubber-banded while new superglue is curing. :D

Since I never did find a picture of the thing, here is one of the driver side actuator.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f355/ptcruzn2/d-side.jpg

This is looking just below the dash, towards the center of the car behind the center console...

The yellow circle/square is the visible part of the actuator. The red circle is the actuator arm that is no longer connected to the motor. By sticking my hand in there and moving the little arm all the way down, I now have heat on the driver side!!!!

Now for the next question......where can I get a new driver side Air Temperature Actuator? For some reason, I doubt that Autozone will carry this and the service manual doesn't list a part number so I can't search that way.

kdstrum
10-02-09, 10:39 AM
Gm parts direct they should have everything you need

bradmo
10-02-09, 11:33 AM
ALL Cadillacs seem to be notorious for clogged heater cores!
Fortunately they are relatively easy to open up. Look for the how to flush on the forums here - try it - pretty easy, and definitely worth trying before getting into the actuators, doors, etc!!!
I've run into this numerous times...